• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Early season player review

Lindholm
Wow. This kid showed some game last season once he got used to the North American style, but he's really blooming this season. He's a year more physically mature and starting to show some of the grit that people talked about in pre draft scouting reports. In addition, he plays a VERY smart positional game and is probably the second best player on the Canes (after Skinner) in making a quick transition to attack mode after a turnover. His shot is also a bit more confident this season. Love this kid.

Rask
Well, it's clear he's a rookie and to me he looks like he could have used another season in the AHL oven, but it's also clear that he respects what the team has asked of him and that he's giving it his best effort every night. Decent size, not great mobility ... very direct A to B kind of center. Not a playmaker by nature, but decent on the forecheck and like I say ... he at least gives you effort on the defensive end. Not sure how he'll grow from here, but he looks to be at least a serviceable 3rd line kind of guy. Right now his effectiveness sort of comes and goes, but I think that's more about his inexperience than anything else.

Boychuk
He's what he always is, only a bit more intense and consistent. Zach is plugging along at a hair under a half a point per game clip and that's about the production I expect from him. I've always liked his playmaking game coming into the slot off the wall, and that still seems to be his strong suit. He's being a little more aggressive with his shot this year, which was a big step forward for him. He also looks like he's squeezing the stick a bit less this time around. I think he's finally maturing into a reliable 3rd line forward. Good to see ... and it's taken long enough.

Biggest tip of the hat I will give Boychuk is that he is now consistently playing through body checks along the wall and in front of the net that would have knocked him off the puck and headed him to the bench before. He's keeping the feet moving and has good balance. Showing more poise in quick decision situations, as well.

No doubt all three of Boychuk, Terry, and Rask are benefitting from playing together as what has morphed into our secondary-scoring third line. If you want to see how Peters wants forwards to play, just watch that line. Boychuk and Terry, in particular, are one of those telegraphic pairs that can be put with any center.

Since Boychuk earned a stint past his emergency call-up, I think he's here for the season. No more waivers for him.

I agree on Boychuk. Assuming his play doesn't take a sudden turn south I don't see him being sent back down. Same with Terry, the Canes are not going to be shipping him to Charlotte any time soon. That doesn't mean these guys will be with the team next year (both will be RFAs) or won't be traded this year, but I think their days in Charlotte are done unless they really regress suddenly. I don't think Boychuk is an injury fill in anymore with his play. He has looked every bit capable of being a 3rd line NHL winger so far this year.

Rask has been 'good enough'. He definitely is lacking experience, and that will come, but he certainly is not killing us out there. There is still a whole lot of time between now and when Jordan Staal returns, so a whole lot can happen between now and then. If this team doesn't make any trades between now and Jordan's return and Nash is still kicking butt out there, I expect Rask will get caught up in the numbers and sent back to Charlotte. For now that AHL line is performing well enough that Peters can be comfortable with rolling them out there.

We should all be excited about Lindholm's growth. He is capable of doing things out there that most of our team is not. Skills, smarts, improved physicality and a willingness to bang at the right times, a nasty shot release and the ability to not just shoot right into the goalies chest? And he's only 19? He's already a very good player now and it should only get better from here.

Riley Nash to me is the biggest shocker. He showed some flashes of this late last year, but only in small doses. The guy out there this season looks darn hungry every time he steps on the ice. He's not shying away from anything and is on pace for 22 goals and 37 assists so far while being above 50% in the faceoff circle. That level of offensive production is exactly what we should be expecting from Jordan Staal every season. Nash has stepped up big time so far this year, I'm interested to see if he can keep that going.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your reviews/opinions on those three. I chose those three because well in part representative of our future and we've heard pretty much any positive stuff this season revolving mostly around those names. I think Cam will have to wait a while for some substantial praise more than he's gotten so far, considering the number of stinky seasons we've gotten from him in the past...
Better late than never, but personally I think Boychuk was ready for 3rd line, full-time duty about 2 seasons ago. Just, circumstances had it that nobody gave him the FIRM NOD/COMMITMENT and he was always somewhat victim to that and the numbers game. Would be a nice story if he not only sticks but ends up giving us some good return on what was once a very high draft pick...

I'm all ga-ga over the praise and review of Lindholm's game.

I've already fan-giggled enough about Lindholm elsewhere. He's just going to be great...I mean really great. We've got ourselves something there.

Lindy's positioning is wise beyond his years. Most of his injuries from last year stemmed from him being in traffic and being a general disrupter of the other teams flow. He seems better prepared physically as well as mentally to handle the rigors of that style of play. He also has the desire, the drive to actually be great.

I'll disagress a bit with JB on Rask not being very mobile. Watched the kid closely last game and I think he's probably one of the fastest skaters on the team (at least without the puck). So there's plenty there to think he's capable of playing at NHL speed.

On the what happens when Jordan comes back. If Eric is still here, I think he moves to wing and Jordan centers the "Top" Line. Nash and Rask stay where they are.

I'll disagress a bit with JB on Rask not being very mobile. Watched the kid closely last game and I think he's probably one of the fastest skaters on the team (at least without the puck). So there's plenty there to think he's capable of playing at NHL speed.

Yeah. That's why I said he lacks mobility rather than that he was slow. His straight line speed is fine. Certainly within NHL norms for a guy his size. The lack of mobility I cite is more to be seen in his large turning radius and his slow transitions. He looks a lot like Terry looked a couple of years ago to me. As he gets used to the speed of the big boy game, I think his skating will continue to improve ... as has Terry's. Two years ago Terry could hardly get out of his own way out there and now he looks fine.

Early days of boy, he had nothing. Everyone skated circles around him in training camp. I believe I mentioned this before.

Last year he started to show some progress but most of the time looked lost especially in the defensive zone.
This year he matured and has put it together and deserves a spot in the roster.

I've always liked Terry from the first time I saw him in training camp. He reminded me of Skinner.

Speaking of Skinner, he could be on the trade list. He has good value but doesn't seem to be a fit right now.

Agreed Dwind. Last year, during that 10 game stretch where Malhotra was 'on fire' (for a fourth line guy with limited minutes) I remember Zach seemed to finally cross a threshold and was actually showing something for that entire stretch. I believe the team did fairly well too during that time...and tanked when Staal and Tlusty returned (with Wardo still down) Something like that.

What a difference November has made...

OK, the Canes are still 7th in the division, and still likely to be golfing in May, but they have one of the better home records in the league all of a sudden (3-1-1). It offsets a terrible road record (1-5-2), but there's a definite hope spot if they can keep winning at home and stop losing on the road, or at least limit the losses to Overtime so they can snag a point like last night.

Too optimistic?

What a difference November has made...

OK, the Canes are still 7th in the division, and still likely to be golfing in May, but they have one of the better home records in the league all of a sudden (3-1-1). It offsets a terrible road record (1-5-2), but there's a definite hope spot if they can keep winning at home and stop losing on the road, or at least limit the losses to Overtime so they can snag a point like last night.

Too optimistic?

Probably so, but I think playing competitive home hockey should be priority one for this season. Not saying you have to win 70% of your home games or anything, but playing a consistently decent game at home will go a long way to reassuring the fanbase as they continue to figure out how we compete better overall going forward.

Assuming of course that's what's going on in the front office. I'm still waiting for somebody to get serious about rebuilding this roster instead of just rebranding it.

I'd venture a guess the number one problem the front office is wrestling with is getting more than 11 thousand butts in seats.

Probably so, but I think playing competitive home hockey should be priority one for this season. Not saying you have to win 70% of your home games or anything, but playing a consistently decent game at home will go a long way to reassuring the fanbase as they continue to figure out how we compete better overall going forward.

Assuming of course that's what's going on in the front office. I'm still waiting for somebody to get serious about rebuilding this roster instead of just rebranding it.

But isn't that exactly the problem here? It seems like every year, even those years we ended up picking 5th or 7th, the team would go thru stretches where it played really well, so well that one would say - "hey, if they played like this the whole season, or most of it, they'd be a playoff team". Which brings the infamous "we like our current team" philosophy. The philosophy that ends up preventing the team from being sellers at the deadline, but instead they end up re-signing aging players for a whole lot of $ and giving them NTCs. The philosophy that prevents a good old fashioned tanking that is likely to give you a chance to draft a true cream of the crop talent. The philosophy of "we have the pieces we need, we'll just come fresh, healthy, and rested in September, have a great training camp, and then if the stars align this time, we'll be a playoff team".

Now, some people will say that RF is no JR, and that he'll be able to avoid that kind of trap. I hope they are right.

I don't think there's going to be any doubt about us not being a playoff team when the buyer/seller decisions are being made during late winter.

A reality check against the recent four or five games of success is that, outside of the Kings staggering through on their baffling road trip, we've pretty much been playing the bottom feeders around us in the league.

Columbus now has last place honors in the Metro and Tampa Bay handled them easily whereas we played close games against them. Washington is no powerhouse, only climbing from 6th to 4th place in the Metro with their Friday/Saturday success. And Arizona is tied for Edmonton for last place in the Pacific.

We're now like a lot of budget-constrained teams with elite (paid) talent at the top. We've got AHL'ers in the line-up.

Fortunately, ours have been pretty good so far.

To be clear, I'm NOT saying anything at all about Francis' intentions for rebuilding/retooling/re-whatevering. What I'm saying is that I'm waiting to see what his position is because he's either been really close to the vest, or made noises like he's not even engaged in the process. I'm willing to wait awhile, but I'm definitely keeping my powder dry for the day that it starts to look like we're just going to keep on chasing the dead dream that this current veteran player group is good enough to do anything other than bring futility. They aren't. They haven't been for several years and nothing appreciable has changed on the ice. Not a single thing. Staal's still doing next to nothing, Semin's still pouting, your D is still a shallow pool at best and right now you're feasting on a suddenly hot goaltender and a string of meh opponents.

Just don't confuse short term results with long term answers. That's pretty much my position.

Oh ... and don't confuse Francis for Rutherford. He's taller, with better hair and sharper suits.

Just don't confuse short term results with long term answers. That's pretty much my position.

Oh ... and don't confuse Francis for Rutherford. He's taller, with better hair and sharper suits.

What management has been doing and what we've been buying year after year.

lol (francis line)

Back