• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Canes claim Andrej Nestrasil off waivers from Detroit

cmaleski2

I'm assuming Bill Peters likes this guy...

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=740129&navid=DL|CAR|home

23, has some size (6'3" 200), doesn't look like much on the stat sheet. And he is going to play in place of????? Are we going to start to sit Semin and Malone? Terry and Malone? Boychuk and Malone? Is Malone ever going to play again? (I wouldn't consider it a big loss if he doesn't, I've been completely unimpressed with Malone, he doesn't do anything well).

Remember we cannot send this kid down to the minors without waivers, so either he plays, sits in the press box, or we set him loose via waivers again and he sees if he can do the Boychuk tour of the NHL.

Last edited:
6'2" (RedWings had him listed at 6'3") 210 lbs. left shot per hockeydb.

McKenzie reports that other teams wanted him, but we were the lowest on the list. So, we won't be able to get him to the AHL, which is what they were trying to do.

One of Malone, Terry, or Boychuk should be a bit concerned.

I think Boychuk has been great out there, it would be a shame to see him sit. Terry has faded fast, I could easily see Nestrasil supplanting Terry in the lineup going forward. NHL.com has him at 6'3" 200. His stats say he is not physical (5 hits in his 13 NHL games this year). 16 shots, he was on Detroit's 2nd PP unit.

Here is Mike Babcok's opinion (snipped from mlive.com, link here-> http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/11/red_wings_prepared_to_risk_los.html:

Babcock said of Nestrasil: "He needs to play in the American Hockey League. He's not quite ready for this level. Maybe one day he'll play. His pace was good at the start but you know the league changes. ... I don't know how a kid like that grows playing no minutes and sitting in the crowd."

Now Babock could have just been trying to play down this kid's game in hopes that no one would claim him, but I suspect he really meant that. There is no harm in this pickup...the kid just needs to be better than, I assume, Chris Terry, who I really think is going to be the odd man out while we give Nestrasil a chance. If he's not better than Terry then Nestrasil simply get's waived again and one of these other teams can claim him.

Last edited:
There were multiple tweets and comments that the Red Wings were risking his loss by making room for Weiss' return. Reports were he needed the development time in the AHL. I was wondering if the Canes were going to put a claim in on him- good for us! An asset for nothing other than space on a bottom feeder team. Not a bad move at all.

I see Terry as the one losing out in this deal (at least for now). Boychuk has been playing well, IMO - but then again he played sparingly during the Stars game. Maybe Peters is disappointed with him, but I've seen tremendous improvement this year.

Hope his face does not get the same welcome last #15 received his first game.

Well, new information. Just heard Peters on the radio saying Nestrasil plays the right side with his left shot.

The plot thickens.

Nestrasil appears to be a good kind of addition to the 'Cane's roster. I like the move, especially for the price. Size and ability to handle the puck are nice things to add to the roster. Even if he only makes more room for other players on his line, that's fine too. It really helps that Coach Peters already knows what to expect from Nestrasil too. Credit to Peters and Ron Francis. I believe this one would have gone under JR's radar.

Jim

Andy, maybe you're on to an ideas - the canes should write his paychecks in disappearing ink.

Back