• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Graphic Novel & Comic Book Thread

Montana

Champion
It sounds like maybe you're still buying the physical copies from the store?

I buy a small few monthly (Saga by Brian K Vaughan, for instance I have the full 30 issue run)......but the vast majority of my collection is oversized hardcover Absolute Editions and Omnibi.

I was pretty opposed to anything but, until time became an issue and storage became a major problem. Now I just buy through Comixology, and it's so, so much better. Especially for a lunatic like me who obsesses over the condition of the books.

While I don't subscribe to comixology, I have a comic book reader on my Mac and download and runs that I'm interested in enough to read but can't get my hands on a Absolute or Omnibus of.......and while reading the oversized versions is my favourite way to go through a run, reading digital copies of stuff on a 47' screen is pretty dope in and of itself. Brian K Vaughan had a recent run in fact called "Private Eye" available on panelsyndicate.com, where you just pay what you want per issue. Really damn good run. Marcos Martin's artwork on it is phenomenal.

I like hardcopies, but they don't have to be originals...though I have lots of those...I like anthologies so I can have them all together neatly, preferably in hardback.

I like all the forms they come out in for various reasons (Ed Brubaker's "Fade Out" for instance is a classic crime noir period piece, so I prefer reading that in a old timey serialized way, month to month)......but yeah, it's pretty tough to beat having a big anthology of a specific run and being able to read through massive chunks at once.

What hardcover anthologies do you currently own?

Swamp Thing, Most of Sandman, The Watchmen, Miller's stuff... I mostly collect my nostalgia. I guess The Walking Dead is one I've picked up more recently.

Oh yeah, I have every Calvin and Hobbes, including the one that he eventually got rid of...the one where Hobbes goes in the washing machine...the only one that shows definitively that Hobbes is stuffed.

Swamp Thing, Most of Sandman, The Watchmen, Miller's stuff... I mostly collect my nostalgia. I guess The Walking Dead is one I've picked up more recently.

Nice; I have Moore's Swamp Thing in hardcovers, The two Sandman omnibi, a 1989 leather bound collection of Dark Knight Returns & Year One......still need to get a Watchmen Absolute though, only have that in TPB.

That Swamp Thing run is definitely a hugely underappreciated work relative to how damn good it is. Gonna have to go through that again sometime soon.

I grew up on Calvin & Hobbes and owned all them over the years....but they came out with a set of hardcover collected works a couple years ago that I'm going to need to pull the trigger on soon. Only about ~$100 too.

the-complete-calvin-and-hobbes-hardcover-85_2.jpg

Swamp Thing when Alan Moore took over should be right up your alley. It helps to know the back story, and if you get the anthologies you'll get that, but either way it's quite the take on the story.

Make a list of the top 10 to read. I have all the Sandman and have read Watchmen before.

You've definitely read two of the all-time best. Other classics in that same vein would be V for Vendetta & The Killing Joke by Alan Moore, Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns & Batman: Year One, are definitely the kind of stock answers for best comics ever written, and with good reason they're all classics in their own right.

I'll put together a list of my personal favourites from my own collection though, that might be a little more under the radar but every bit as good....

If anyone wants a great, fun read right now, you should really be all over Geoff Johns' Justice League.

It's really good.

On a different subject, is anyone reading Secret Wars and following what's going on in the Marvel Universe right now?

Hickman's story is literally getting to True Detective 2 levels of difficulty in understanding what the hell is going on, and from what I do understand, really hating every minute of it.

Are they really rebooting the universe in this way, where portions of the world have been gathered and ruled by Doom? So basically, life is over in the MU and it's just this ****ing dystopian garbage from here on out? It's honestly unreadable crap, as far as I'm concerned.

Make a list of the top 10 to read. I have all the Sandman and have read Watchmen before.

Ten of my personal favorites in my collection, in no particular order....

1- Richard Stark's Parker by Darwyn Cooke
1000w

Gritty crime-noir that perfectly captures the aesthetic of 60's era heist/detective/gangster stories........there's nothing in my collection that is more perfectly tailored to my tastes, or that I enjoy sitting down to read with a glass of bourbon, more.

2 - Criminal by Ed Brubaker
criminal-deluxe-edition.jpg

Criminal is another gritty crime-fiction series of stories, but less inter-connected than Parker, and told through a more modern lense. Brubaker is flat out one of the best writers in comics, and his wheelhouse is this kind of crime-noir. If Quentin Tarantino wrote an original comic book series, this is what it would look like. (QT's film adaptations to comics are pretty solid in and of themselves)

3 - Saga by Brian K Vaughan
18tnj7prkjclpjpg.jpg

Much more fantasy based than anything else I read, but for my money it's the single best monthly comic on the market right now. The title is befitting of the series as Vaughan is building an epic, ambitious, original world that could only be the backdrop for an epic saga of a story. It's Star Wars with more geopolitics, sex, swearing, and larger thematic undertones. It's also just flat out a blast to read.

4 - Stray Bullets by David Lapham
stray-bullets-uber-alles.jpg

STRAY BULLETS foils synopsis because it has no central conceit, not even a particular setting to tie all these intricately interconnected vignettes together. It unfolds from Baltimore to Los Angeles, between 1978 and 1997, but there’s no end game, no huge plot point that this thing slouches towards as it darts from future to past, from east to west, dropping in and out of continuing stories with little regard for the reader’s confusion, each issue somehow a part of this stunningly detailed universe as well as a thoroughly satisfying self-contained story. Lapham tells the parts and pieces that he finds interesting, tossing us into already-unfolding crises and letting the chips fall where they may, suddenly picking up shards and strands of stories that seemed long forgotten.

Just a great oddball existential collection of fascinating stories.

5 - The Invisibles by Grant Morrison
10631589026_48bd0e281e_z.jpg

Trying to summarize the plot of The Invisibles is a losing proposition; Morrison claims much of the story came to him after a metaphysical experience in Kathmandu. He decided to incorporate his experience (which he sometimes likens to an alien abduction by beings outside three-dimensional space) into the story. The book, then, would become a delivery system for esoteric knowledge, a spell designed to change readers for the better. Probably the best way to think of it is as an elaborate initiation ritual.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/22/3793690/the-classics-grant-morrison-the-invisibles

Biggest omnibus in my collection with over 1,000 pages....and It's really goddamn out there, but it's got some similarities to the kind of vibe Sandman has....while simultaneously being a pretty unquestionable piece of source material for what ultimately became The Matrix movie. Like much of Morrison's work, it asks a lot more of it's readers than most other material and isn't something to enjoy passively.....but if one is willing to put the work in, it's a pretty rewarding & entertaining read.

6 - Preacher by Garth Ennis
Preacher-Proud-Americans-cover.jpg

Merging with a bizarre spiritual force called Genesis, Texan Preacher Jesse Custer becomes completely disillusioned with the beliefs that he had dedicated his entire life to. Now possessing the power of "the word," an ability to make people do whatever he utters, Custer begins a violent and riotous journey across the country. Joined by his gun-toting girlfriend Tulip and the hard drinking Irish vampire Cassidy, the Preacher loses faith in both man and God as he witnesses dark atrocities and improbable calamities during his exploration of America.

..about to be a AMC show, produced by Seth Rogan.

7 - From Hell by Alan Moore
58.jpg

Really dark sick & twisted fictional tale of the events surrounding the Jack the Ripper murders, with Moore having done a ton of research to build his narrative. One of the more unique graphic novel reading experiences I've had, as half of the story is told through comic book story telling, while the other half is told through chapter by chapter footnotes/addendums that further the story & explain what aspects were based on evidence and what elements were creative license. Not the funnest book you'll ever read, but it's unquestionably imo an all-time classic.

8 - Gotham Central by Ed Brubaker & Greg Rucka
gotham-central.jpg

Just a real interesting take on Gotham & the Batman mythos......basically a Gotham version of The Wire/Homicide Life on the Streets/Law & Order type police procedural, with Batman primarily a background figure as you follow a group of detectives trying to solve crimes in Gotham. Really interesting/original take on the super-hero genre.

9 - All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison
1215842-absolute_all_star_superman.jpg

Just flat out the best Superman story every told, imo.

10 - The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker[/b]
thefadeout_01_.jpg

FadeOut03-7c2da.jpg

An intricate and groundbreaking crime story on a level Brubaker and Phillips have never tackled before, THE FADE OUT weaves a tangled web through the underbelly of a 1948 Hollywood... A noir film stuck in endless reshoots. A writer plagued with nightmares from the war and a dangerous secret. An up-and-coming starlet's suspicious death. And a maniacal studio mogul and his security chief who will do anything to keep the cameras rolling before the Post-War boom days come crashing down. THE FADE OUT is the most ambitious series yet from the award-winning Noir Masters.

Other than Saga the only ones on this list that are still on-going, and Fade Out is currently only 9 issues in.....and you can pick up the first trade paperback (collecting the first 5 issues) for $9.99 at virtually any comic book shop, or on Amazon. Only book other than Saga that I buy every single month when a new issue comes out.

Last edited:
Really?

Long Halloween was one of my all time favorites. I hope it didn't make your list because you simply forgot.

That thing was a masterpiece.

Really?

Long Halloween was one of my all time favorites. I hope it didn't make your list because you simply forgot.

That thing was a masterpiece.

Oddly enough I was talking with my nephew this morning about Batman The Long Halloween Absolute, and telling him I'd lend him my copy because it's a great place to jump in to the Batman mythos. TLH is arguably the single best incarnation of Batman the detective as there is, imo. Tim Sale's artwork is off the charts too.

My list wasn't just about my top 10 favourites....I could have gone to 200 and still left plenty out that I'm a massive fan of, just wanted to touch on 10 that I think are damn classics in their own right, but might not find themselves on top ten lists if one were to do a google search. Long Halloween is still below DKR & Year One for me, but it's unquestionably a all-time great Batman story.

You read Loeb's follow up to TLH, "Batman: Dark Victory"?......always been curious about it, but haven't read it yet.

Last edited:
This is another classic that I left off the list that deserves mention.......definitely one of the nicest omnibi in my collection. The paper-stock is really great and Miller's black and white artwork really f*cking pops at this size.

IMG_1631.JPG

This is obviously right up there with everything I mentioned earlier, in terms of quality writing & storytelling.

Oddly enough I was talking with my nephew this morning about Batman The Long Halloween Absolute, and telling him I'd lend him my copy because it's a great place to jump in to the Batman mythos. TLH is arguably the single best incarnation of Batman the detective as there is, imo. Tim Sale's artwork is off the charts too.

My list wasn't just about my top 10 favourites....I could have gone to 200 and still left plenty out that I'm a massive fan of, just wanted to touch on 10 that I think are damn classics in their own right, but might not find themselves on top ten lists if one were to do a google search. Long Halloween is still below DKR & Year One for me, but it's unquestionably a all-time great Batman story.

You read Loeb's follow up to TLH, "Batman: Dark Victory"?......always been curious about it, but haven't read it yet.

I did.

TLH was just so, so, so incredibly good that no sequel could ever stack up to it.

DV was definitely good and worth the read, but it can't reach the levels of TLH.

I did.

TLH was just so, so, so incredibly good that no sequel could ever stack up to it.

DV was definitely good and worth the read, but it can't reach the levels of TLH.

That's pretty confirms my gut suspicion...just too good a run to follow up with any kind of sequel.....I'll definitely pick up DV at some point, but probably just grab the trade paperback.

Back