• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Lineup your lineups for the stretch drive

BeLeafer

Leivo's play has changed the dynamics on the forward lines. Moreover, Hyman has been shit for nearly a month and needs to have his ice time seriously cut back. Komarov is finally starting to play like his old self as well. Matthews - Nylander is just way too good to separate.

So, what to do with the lines? I'm not sure which of the righties can be shifted over to the left side effectively, but I would go with:

Brown - Matthews - Nylander

Komarov - Kadri - Lievo

JVR - Bozak - Marner

Martin - Goat - Hyman

Looks pretty good to me but don't know about Brown shifting over.

Yeah, that's what I would start with. That's a pretty legitimately decent 4th line as well that can pop a few goals and play a fairly fast, very big game.

If you can move JVR for a D-man you have to do it, the depth at forward is there to replace him. Hyman has struggled recently.. And GOAT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ben Smith.

For what it's worth, Hyman is actually a right-winger that's been shifted over to the left side all season on the Matthews line.

If he can figure it out, Brown should be able to as well.

Though I do have to admit, considering how much of an asset Matthews' cycle game is, it would give me pause to put him out there with two smallish wingers.

Leivo's play has changed the dynamics on the forward lines. Moreover, Hyman has been shit for nearly a month and needs to have his ice time seriously cut back. Komarov is finally starting to play like his old self as well. Matthews - Nylander is just way too good to separate.

So, what to do with the lines? I'm not sure which of the righties can be shifted over to the left side effectively, but I would go with:

Brown - Matthews - Nylander

Komarov - Kadri - Lievo

JVR - Bozak - Marner

Martin - Goat - Hyman

Looks pretty good to me but don't know about Brown shifting over.

Still hate that Bozak line. I think Brown makes it somewhat more bearable because he's fairly decent along the wall so they manage a bit more on both ends. Ideally you leave Brown with JVR and Bozak, switch Marner and Komarov(can he play that side though?) and maybe Komarov goes to 4th line with Hyman and Martin? I agree with Goat being a big guy who can do well with protecting the puck in the o zone but i don't like much else to be honest. Our pk is that much worse when he's on it(just doesn't get to the point fast enough so there's always space for them to set up and get a good shot through). Nothing will likely change though, Babcock seems to like Nylander away from Matthews(for whatever reason) and Marner with JVR, Bozak. Komarov hasn't done anything to warrant the top 9 spot either as he's doing nothing that other guys with a bit more skill(like Leivo, Brown) cannot do.

Last edited:
I think bozak and vanryk - if they're not traded - should continue to see their time reduced and used only in the easiest possible matchups. I don't want to leash marner to them any more - Bozak/JVR are good enough offensively that they should be able to produce by themselves in select matchups.

I would go with:

Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
Komorov - Kadri - Marner
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Brown
Sosh/Martin - Gauthier - Hyman

With the top-2 lines getting heavier and heavier usage in the toughest matchups, the Bozak line being used as a strict 3rd line in select matchups, and the 4th line 4th lining.

Kadri leivo and Matthews nylander should stay as combos. Whether it's Hyman or brown on the fourth line I don't really care. I'd prefer Hyman but I suspect it will be brownie.

And yeah.. leivos game would complement Austons really really well. But right now I have a hard time breaking up the kadri line.

Not sure Babs will screw with his L/R splits. So with that in mind:

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
Komarov-Kadri-Leivo
JVR-Nylander-Marner
Martin-Bozak-Kapanen

That gives us 4 lines that can score, and a 3rd line that will be a complete miss match for most 3rd lines out there.

Meh keep Kap down. If they bring up someone it should be leipsic when he's healthy. They really need to figure out what th y have there. He becomes waiver eligible next season. Think it's more important to keep the future in mind here. Kap can start the year with the leafs next season.

Kapanen vs. Leipsic is kind of a moot point at the moment anyway.

Both players have been out for a while with injuries, with no set date on when they might return. Kapanen with his ankle, and Leipsic with his concussion. So until either one of them or both of them returns to the Marlies for at least a bunch of games and show they're back up to speed, they're not really on the Leafs' radar.

Of course. Just really think it's worth getting a look at leiper before next season. I guess worst case they can leivo him next year, but if he's not worth keeping around it would be nice to know sooner rather than later. There aren't many spots up for grabs even after trading jvr and possibly bozak.

The Leafs are trying to make the playoffs. I'm less concerned about getting looks at guys, and more concerned with icing the best lineup.

Lipsic will get a shot, but Kapanen gets the first one if its up to me.

The Leafs are trying to make the playoffs. I'm less concerned about getting looks at guys, and more concerned with icing the best lineup.

Lipsic will get a shot, but Kapanen gets the first one if its up to me.
1. Don't lose sight of the ultimate goal.

2. Leiper may very well be better than Kap at this point

Keep in mind Kap had a very high s% too. Nothing crazy but u has about 2-3 more goals than he probably should. Great player but I think leiper needs to get a look for many reasons. Another being that they're shallow on the left side compared to right

I don't think getting our best prospect into the lineup is losing sight of the ultimate goal.

Its like arguing Leivo and Holland should have started the season over Marner and Nylander because we need to know what we have before we lose them.

I don't think getting our best prospect into the lineup is losing sight of the ultimate goal.

Its like arguing Leivo and Holland should have started the season over Marner and Nylander because we need to know what we have before we lose them.

Not really. Leipsic is very likely better than kapanen at this stage. Stop with the false equivalencies

Yes Kap is a better prospect but he's done nothing to prove he's better than leiper right now. And he's certainly not nylander to his Holland. Ridiculous statement.

Agree to disagree. If we are choosing between Kapanen and Liepsic, I take Kapanen everytime. Give me the elite speed and skill.

Kappy can play on any line, PK's for the Marlies and is quite good at it. Also better along the wall which Babs prefers. You call up the player that fits better and so there's no reason to add another smaller forward that is more about skating and skill than anything else..We have plenty of that. Gauthier was added mostly because he's a big man so Kappy would just add another player that isn't afraid to play big.

Agree to disagree. If we are choosing between Kapanen and Liepsic, I take Kapanen everytime. Give me the elite speed and skill.

Me too. But Leipsic was the best player on the marlies, is like 23 and can be lost on waivers next year. Much more urgent to call him up than risk losing him for nothing without actually knowing what he is. They'll likely leivo him but it would be nice to know sooner.

Me too. But Leipsic was the best player on the marlies, is like 23 and can be lost on waivers next year. Much more urgent to call him up than risk losing him for nothing without actually knowing what he is. They'll likely leivo him but it would be nice to know sooner.
There's not much risk of that anyway. Like you say, they can "Leivo" him.

And it's likely there's going to be some more available spots on the wing next year, with Nylander's likely move to center, and the potential departure of JVR.

Back