• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

Who’s seen Blacklist or the Americans? Thinking about starting one of them.

Only watched a season or two...but I think you'd prefer The Americans.....it's closer in calibre to prestige television than Blacklist, which is more classically network tv type stuff.

Watched both Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 & Enemy this past week, and goddamn they're perfect films.....guy is right there with PT Anderson as the best in the game.

Who’s seen Blacklist or the Americans? Thinking about starting one of them.

I've been watching The Blacklist and quite enjoyed it, especially the first 2-3 seasons. Seasons 4 & 5 were a bit iffy at times but did pick up near the end of the seasons. I'm looking forward to season 6 but IMO it's getting tine to wrap up the storyline. I say that now but maybe this coming season will add some new life to the show.

Only watched a season or two...but I think you'd prefer The Americans.....it's closer in calibre to prestige television than Blacklist, which is more classically network tv type stuff.

You didn’t find 2049 a little slow?

You didn’t find 2049 a little slow?

I thought the slower pacing was a feature more than a flaw, added extra heft to a few particular scenes that wouldn't have worked quite as well without it.

I'm a big fan of slower pacing done right tho, that's my wheelhouse, "Assassination of Jesse James..." is one of my all time favorite movies.

It's one of his best.....if 2049 was his take on a Ridley Scott film, Enemy is his crack at a David Lynch story.

Real satisfying to think about afterwards.

So it looks like The Americans isn't on Netflix, so I went with Blacklist for now and saw the first three episodes.

Is it just going to be five seasons of a new villain to take down every week, while she never actually forces Red to give her a straight answer about his interest in her (which by the way is probably the most obvious thing ever...and she's an FBI agent?)?

So it looks like The Americans isn't on Netflix, so I went with Blacklist for now and saw the first three episodes.

Is it just going to be five seasons of a new villain to take down every week, while she never actually forces Red to give her a straight answer about his interest in her (which by the way is probably the most obvious thing ever...and she's an FBI agent?)?

More or less.

The show is "watchable" IMO just because of how delightfully wacky Spader is. If you are looking for quality writing or things to make sense you should probably pass, but as far as entertaining hour long shows you only need to half watch it's okay.

As the seasons progress so does the storyline. While the takedown of a villain remains the relationships between her, Red and others goes through some changes throughout the seasons. Some of the character development is quite unexpected. I think that is what keeps viewers coming back.

If you continue to watch don't make too many assumptions about their relationship or about the roles of the supporting characters.

Last edited:
I was excited to see Widows as I love a good heist yarn. It has an amazing cast but none of the characters or the story really grabbed me. They also spend too much time on Colin Farrel's character and very little time on the actual heist

I was excited to see Widows as I love a good heist yarn. It has an amazing cast but none of the characters or the story really grabbed me. They also spend too much time on Colin Farrel's character and very little time on the actual heist

I thought Davis and the blonde actress were strong, and both villains, but i agree with you on Farrell and that entire arc being in too much

Back