• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I foresee a return to pirating for me. I already pay for Netflix & Amazon Prime, if Disney thinks that the reason I don't have cable is because I want to pay 3-4 or more streaming services the same I would have been paying cable, they've lost their ****ing minds. I get that they want control of their content, I get that they want to hop on the streaming bandwagon and compete but I don't see any one content creator generating enough for me to be interested in paying them as a stand alone. If we just look at Mouseschwitz for a second, as they're probably the best of content creators:

- Marvel (most of, anyway)
- Star Wars
- A bag of other stuff they might try to turn into ongoing content streams: Tron, Indiana Jones, The Simpsons, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien/Predator,
- Classic Disney Cartoons
- A bunch of Pixar stuff

So yeah they have a good catalogue of movies we've all seen...who ****ing cares? They're theatrical releases will still go to the same distribution system that handles it now, theatres...so there's not a huge value prop for consumers there. Are they going to try to copy the Netflix marvel model and make a bunch of made for streaming series? That would be smart but that's still now a whole ton of content. I mean, you could blow out the MCU and try to make series out of ****ing everything that you're not turning into feature films, but I'd smell a lot of hit and miss there (like Netflix's experience with the MCU really). But I'm just not seeing where the content will come from if they're going to be a stand alone provider.

The next thing will be a bundle that provides Netflix, Amazon, Disflix, etc. Like the old cable bundle, but with no ads. Unless you opt for an ad supported bundle from someone like Roku.

I foresee a return to pirating for me. I already pay for Netflix & Amazon Prime, if Disney thinks that the reason I don't have cable is because I want to pay 3-4 or more streaming services the same I would have been paying cable, they've lost their ****ing minds. I get that they want control of their content, I get that they want to hop on the streaming bandwagon and compete but I don't see any one content creator generating enough for me to be interested in paying them as a stand alone. If we just look at Mouseschwitz for a second, as they're probably the best of content creators:

- Star Wars
- A bag of other stuff they might try to turn into ongoing content streams: Tron, Indiana Jones, The Simpsons, Avatar, Planet of the Apes, Alien/Predator,
- A bunch of Pixar stuff

So yeah they have a good catalogue of movies we've all seen...who ****ing cares? They're theatrical releases will still go to the same distribution system that handles it now, theatres...so there's not a huge value prop for consumers there. Are they going to try to copy the Netflix marvel model and make a bunch of made for streaming series? That would be smart but that's still now a whole ton of content. I mean, you could blow out the MCU and try to make series out of ****ing everything that you're not turning into feature films, but I'd smell a lot of hit and miss there (like Netflix's experience with the MCU really). But I'm just not seeing where the content will come from if they're going to be a stand alone provider.

Disney will probably upset the current movie distribution model by bundling first run with immediate digital downloads. The losers will be movie theatres.

- Star Wars
- A bunch of Pixar stuff

Yeah, I think you're pretty on the money here.

With all of that, depending on the price of their service... I could see them being the only other streaming service I'd pay for.

At this point I think I could see paying $10 for Netflix, $9 for Hulu and another $9 for Disney. All in for like $30 a month. That's a shitload of content for that price.

Add $120 a year for NHL Gamecenter.

Disney is majority owner of Hulu, so we’ll see how it plays out. I think Netflix will costs 15 before you know it.

I get amazon prime but that’s mostly for the shipping perks.

DAZN has been a real game changer for sports. 20/month means the entire NFL season costs me 80. They are gobbling rights for everything — all the major soccer leagues, dipped a toe in MLB, and will probably go after the NHL when that contract is up.

I consider Amazon Prime to be part of my bucket here, and also an essential because free shipping is the shit.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and yeah maybe 1 more. Maybe.

I consider Amazon Prime to be part of my bucket here, and also an essential because free shipping is the shit.

Netflix, Amazon Prime and yeah maybe 1 more. Maybe.

Let’s talk in 5 yrs. you’ll be paying for more streaming services. Da shit is just getting started.

Disney is majority owner of Hulu, so we’ll see how it plays out. I think Netflix will costs 15 before you know it.

DAZN has been a real game changer for sports. 20/month means the entire NFL season costs me 80. They are gobbling rights for everything — all the major soccer leagues, dipped a toe in MLB, and will probably go after the NHL when that contract is up.

That would make me so happy. Live sports is literally the last thing I need cable to watch without being forced into either pirating, or expensive stand alones like centre ice and NBA TV.

Let’s talk in 5 yrs. you’ll be paying for more streaming services. Da shit is just getting started.

You're probably right, but I think that too much advancement in that direction will run into the same issue cable is now. Consumers are just tired of spending 50-100+ a month on meh entertainment. If the prices creep towards cable levels for a small basket of useful services, I'll just cut back to the best one or two.

Anyone see the films nominated for best picture? The best TV still beats the best movies.
At some point you will be able to rent movies the day they are released in theaters.

Anyone see the films nominated for best picture? The best TV still beats the best movies.
At some point you will be able to rent movies the day they are released in theaters.

That will be the Disney strategy.

You're probably right, but I think that too much advancement in that direction will run into the same issue cable is now. Consumers are just tired of spending 50-100+ a month on meh entertainment. If the prices creep towards cable levels for a small basket of useful services, I'll just cut back to the best one or two.

Funny enough, I think cable and satellite will be moving more towards a la carte options in order to compete with streaming services. Streaming services would be smart to avoid bundling too much.

DAZN really sucked in their first NFL season so I cancelled my service. I'm on a pretty awesome IPTV service right now for like $7 / month. But I'd be fine paying $20 / month for quality streaming, especially if they got the NHL rights. They have Bellator and Boxing too if you're into that.

I envision a service that will amalgamate all of the streaming services into a single user-interface making it easier to search and watch all of your accessible content. The service will be free, but ad-supported. ;)

Back