• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The official NFL thread

Garafolo & others saying on NFLN that Douglas will be the hire. They added "nobody things it's a process, Douglas is the hire."

Sounds like this was the plan for a while.

Ian Rapoport
Liked the player, didn't love the money is how I heard it on Le'Veon Bell. Adam Gase also didn't love the price tag on CJ Mosely. It all added up.

I'll mark you down for wishing we didn't sign Mosley, Bell or Crowder, or trade for Osemele...and that you don't like us hiring Douglas.

Put me firmly in the complete opposite camp for virtually all the above. (Didn't love giving a LB $17m either, but if Gregg believes in him, so be it)

I don't understand the value in intentionally miss-characterizing my argument, but sure.

All I am saying is the organization is dysfunctional. That is a much bigger, prohibitive, issue than any individual move. And now reports are coming out that Gase didn't like the free agent spending spree (not me), and couldn't co-exist with Mac. Only further supports that.

I don't understand the value in intentionally miss-characterizing my argument, but sure.

Your opinion seems to be that if we were going to hire Douglas....we shouldn't have signed anyone in free agency if we planned to get Douglas. I much prefer having the guys we added.

Personally, I don't really care too much what Gase' opinion was.....it's not his call.

The last thing I want, is him having personel control, he was garbage at it in Miami.

.....I want a top shelf GM candidate like Joe Douglas making those calls, that makes his own evaluations, garners input from his scouting staff. & Coach....but ultimate makes the calls himself. (So much so, many player personnel decisions, Roseman gave Douglas the final call on.)

CJ imo pretty clearly decided he likes the Douglas/Gase duo....couldn't hire Douglas at the time. Let Mac finish out his tenure with a very strong free agency, and a solid draft. Now he'll hand over the reigns to the best candidate on the market, and give the keys to our future to him.

I'd prefer if the Eagles would have let us have Douglas back in January....but I can't envision too many offseasons I'd have prefered he have than the one Macc did.

Upgrading our GM isn't a bad thing.....especially when entering in to an era where we (hopefully) won't have the luxury of drafting top 6 year after year after year.

Last edited:
....and this is coming from a guy who wanted Macc fired. For a couple years now.

I feel blessed that he managed to have a good offseason and we might get the top candidate on the market. It's a damn near dream scenario for me.

From an outsiders perspective I'd say the Jets are inept. I don't know how you let a GM make that many decisions on his way out.

Rumor has it they're in talks with Daniel Jeremiah regarding a "prominent front office position".

Brian Costello: League sources said Douglas already has reached out to people about joining him with the Jets. ESPN reported that Daniel Jeremiah, currently a draft analyst for NFL Network, could have a prominent front-office role.

Sounding more and more to me like this was the plan since January. Jets will go through with the "process", meet the Rooney rule requirements, and then hire Joe Douglas as GM, with Jeremiah taking a prominent role in the scouting department or as his VP & Director of Player Personnel.

Couldn't be happier, if that's how it all plays out....between Quinnen, Bell, Osemele, Polite, Douglas, Jeremiah, Crowder, this will have been close to my dream offseason. Damn near pitch perfect.

Scott Pioli stepped down in Atlanta.

Curious if he'd take the capologist/negotiator sidekick role to Douglas.....covering much of the stuff Roseman was in charge of in Philly.

Don't see any overlap in their careers where they'd have worked together. But Pioli choosing to step down today, seems noteworthy.

I would love if they brought in a guy like Pioli to be the layer between the Johnsons and Football ops. Thats what they really need more than another scout IMO. A guy with experience running a functional organization. Reports have come out that Mac just watched collage tape all day and didn't really involve himself in anything else. Left all the pro work to Heimerdinger.

Douglas I am skeptical about simply because he's Gase guy, and you are betting huge on Gase who I am still not convinced isn't a complete lunatic. If he is the next Belicheick or Reid great. But its a big gamble to hand over the organization to him at this point.

If they could add a president of football ops that is an experienced organization builder and let that guy build the scouting/analytic/development staffs and manage up so keep the Johnsons in check, which is probably the biggest job for a president of a successful team, and no one has done it for the Jets for a long time.

Last edited:
I would love if they brought in a guy like Pioli to be the layer between the Johnsons and Football ops. Thats what they really need more than another scout IMO. A guy with experience running a functional organization. Reports have come out that Mac just watched collage tape all day and didn't really involve himself in anything else. Left all the pro work to Heimerdinger.

It really sounds like even the shit we did give Macc credit for, was more often than not a Heimerdinger move.

Agreed on hiring someone for a President of Football Operations role...we need one. Badly.

Douglas I am skeptical about simply because he's Gase guy, and you are betting huge on Gase who I am still not convinced isn't a complete lunatic. If he is the next Belicheick or Reid great. But its a big gamble to hand over the organization to him at this point.

Douglas is his own guy. He gets a long with Gase & philosophically they're on the same page ...but he's far from a yes man. In Philly Roseman tore through execs under him, until he found Douglas....and he stuck with Douglas (including rejecting the Texans overtures to interview him for their GM job) because he was willing to argue/debate for his guys that he believed in. To the point Roseman gave Douglas control of scouting/building their draft big board.

I'm with you on Gase, and I want him having as little power as possible and focusing on coaching.....Douglas is a homerun hire tho, largely viewed as the top GM candidate available for nearly 2 years now.

He was apart of 3 SB titles, and was the guy who championed the selections of Mosley, Flacco, Marshal Yanda, Ray Rice, was credited with the Eagles targeting/landing Alshon Jeffrey & all their drafts since landing in Philly.

Guy is legit as they come.......Gase I'm worried about, Douglas would be our best hire since Parcells though.

If they could add a president of football ops that is an experienced organization builder and let that guy build the scouting/analytic/development staffs and manage up so keep the Johnsons in check, which is probably the biggest job for a president of a successful team, and no one has done it for the Jets for a long time.

100% agree....Eagles apparently have one of, if not thee best analytics teams in the league, so hopefully Douglas would prioritize that here as well. (Although that it an element Roseman is in charge of in Philly).

My guess is Douglas comes on board as GM, he brings Andy Weidl along from Philly (also worked 11 years together in Baltimore) as his VP of Player Personnel, and then Jeremiah as his Director of College Scouting, or maybe Director Of Player Personnel just under Weidl.

Would make for a hell of a staff.

Rumors are flying within league circles that the Jets may make a run at the future Hall of Fame quarterback who has periodically been linked to NFL management possibilities. And Gase, who worked with Manning in Denver, possibly would be one of the few guys who could draw Manning back into football.

Manning wouldn’t be a traditional G.M., but Johnson has made it clear that he’s not looking for a traditional G.M.

“It’s more than a talent-evaluation guy,” Johnson said Wednesday. “I want a great manager, a communicator, who can collaborate well with the building. I’m convinced we’re going to find that person.”

https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/145020-rumor-peyton-manning-to-the-jets/

Shany 2.0?

Shany 2.0?

My prediction is still..

GM: Joe Douglas
VP Player Personnel: Andy Weidl
Director of PP/Head of Scouting: Daniel Jeremiah

....but I'd be down for Manning taking over for Neal Glat as President, in a Shanny type role.

Last edited:
Brian Baldinger: Jets getting closer to hiring their man, who is the RIGHT man.

Baldinger tweeted this our earlier today, and most are connecting it to his co-worker Daniel Jeremiah.

..but I think he's talking about Douglas. Baldinger (a) finished his career with the Eagles, (b) Does pre-season Eagles games, (c) Does a sports talk radio in Philly, and (d) has historically praised Douglas specifically when it came to Eagles drafts etc.

*fingers crossed*

The Jets have requested permission to interview Eagels VP of player personnel Joe Douglas and Bears asst. director of player personnel Champ Kelly for their GM job, according to @RapSheet. Both have worked with Adam Gase in the past. GM search should heat up next week. #nyj

Interesting to note only two requests have been reported so far, and Champ Kelly is one who'd fulfill Rooney Rule requirements.

Hopefully Douglas announced as the guy within the week.

@AdamSchefter

Jets are giving former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas a six-year deal to become their GM, per source.

Jets just would not take “no” as an answer from Joe Douglas. He tried to turn down the Jets and each time he did, they came back at him harder and harder. Jets simply were not going to be denied in their efforts to land the former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel.

@Connor_J_Hughes

Douglas learned how to evaluate talent under Ozzie Newsome, one of the best to ever do it. He learned cap manipulation from Howie Roseman, arguably the best currently doing it.

He’s an A+ candidate. Great get for the #Jets. So much potential with this hire.

giphy.gif

Back