• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

and let's be real here. the rule that was introduced by the IAAF is explicitly tailored for Semenya. it was drafted in such a way as to omit the distances that the other woman who has a similar condition competes in (I think these were shorter races).

Not exactly. Its starting point is semenya, but this ruling will apply to others as the data come in. If it is determined that elevated levels of testosterone gives those intersex women a advantage they will be limited too under this same umbrella.

The reason it doesnt apply to longer distances like the 1500 is because they said they don't know if elevated testosterone plays a significant part in performance at that level. I can't see why it wouldn't and I forsee the limits expanding as more data comes in.

Question, what do the posters here think of Conrad Black?
I think in a lot of ways, he's similar to Donald Trump.

The main difference, of course, is that Black doesn't have the IQ of a turnip, and is capable of stringing together coherent thoughts.

But like Trump, he was born into a wealthy, well-connected blue-blood family, and was left a pile of money and control of a large company when his father died. Like Trump, he never really had any success at building and growing functional businesses, he mostly just personally enriched himself by gradually strip-mining and dismantling any companies under his control.

Despite this, Black fancies himself to be a business mogul. Basically, he was born on third base, but thinks he hit a triple. Like Trump, he's not guided by any sense of morality of personal code of ethics. He also desperately craves public attention, respect and a place in high society.

And for the past 4-5 years, he's shamelessly sucked Trump's cock at every opportunity, whether it's by constantly publishing outlandishly pro-Trump editorials in the National Post, or publishing a fawning biography of Trump as President last year. And all those efforts finally bore fruit for him this past weekend, since Trump granted him a full pardon for all of his fraud convictions in the States. No doubt that's been Black's plan all along, knowing hyperbolic flattery is the way to Trump's heart.

So, hopefully with that pardon in hand, he'll **** off back to the States or head back over to Britain to re-assume his seat in the House of Lords.

Sad story being reported this week about how thousands upon thousands of song and album master recordings were lost in a fire on the Universal lot in 2008, by many of the most famous musicians of all time. And how UMG managed to downplay and cover up the extent of the damage until now.

Some smaller record companies entire recorded output went up in smoke.

This is a deep and brilliantly constructed article on this story. Worth a read if you're a music fan.

The Day The Music Burned

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html?module=inline

So I stopped by the works, great burger joint, and got a beyond meat burger.

I'm the furthest thing from a vegetarian and I'll admit, that Patty was ****ing delicious.

I tried the A&W version and it was quite good, but after looking into a bit more I'm a bit shocked how quick everyone is to accept this as a healthier alternative when it will almost 100% be found later to have carcinogenic chemicals in it. I mean, this thing is beyond processed. But because it's heavily processed veggies, it's apparently healthy.

I'm going to stick with my 80/20 chuck.

I tried the A&W version and it was quite good, but after looking into a bit more I'm a bit shocked how quick everyone is to accept this as a healthier alternative when it will almost 100% be found later to have carcinogenic chemicals in it. I mean, this thing is beyond processed. But because it's heavily processed veggies, it's apparently healthy.

So regular red meat causes cancer, and beyond meat causes cancer, so I'll just call that a wash.

So regular red meat causes cancer, and beyond meat causes cancer, so I'll just call that a wash.

WHO has never claimed a legit link between red meat and cancer. Processed red meat though, is a group 1.

We'll have to wait a few years for scientists to figure out whether vegetable protein meal washed in solvents and bound together using all sorts of fun food magic is bad for us or not. The devil is usually in the processing though. The more processed your food is, usually the worse off you are and this is incredibly processed.

WHO has never claimed a legit link between red meat and cancer. Processed red meat though, is a group 1.

We'll have to wait a few years for scientists to figure out whether vegetable protein meal washed in solvents and bound together using all sorts of fun food magic is bad for us or not. The devil is usually in the processing though. The more processed your food is, usually the worse off you are and this is incredibly processed.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/21...rition-diet/fruit-vegetables/meat-and-cancer/

There is now a clear body of evidence that bowel cancer is more common among those who eat the most red and processed meat. Processed meat consumption has also been strongly linked to a higher risk of stomach cancer.

The World Health Organization has classified processed meats – including ham, salami, bacon and frankfurts – as a Group 1 carcinogen which means that there is strong evidence that processed meats cause cancer. Red meat, such as beef, lamb and pork has been classified as a ‘probable’ cause of cancer. These classifications do not indicate the risk of getting cancer, rather how certain we are that these things are likely to cause cancer.

Research commissioned by Cancer Council estimates that in 2010, one in six (or 2600) new bowel cancer cases in Australia were associated with consuming too much red meat and processed meat.

Lean red meat can be an important source of iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and protein. In terms of cancer risk there is no reason to cut red meat completely from your diet, but by limiting the amount you eat, you can reduce your risk of cancer.
Its a wash.

Red meat is a probable cause of cancer, agreed?

Yes. Understanding what "probable" means is important though. It means that they think it does, but that no study has been able to determine the actual mechanism. Which is why the language in these studies tends to tie red meat and processed meat together in the same category. Because there is very good data showing processed meats to be cancer causing.

Thus, why I said that the WHO hasn't actually been able to provide a legitimate link between red meat and cancer, because they haven't. Red meat and processed meat aren't the same thing.

Yes. Understanding what "probable" means is important though. It means that they think it does, but that no study has been able to determine the actual mechanism. Which is why the language in these studies tends to tie red meat and processed meat together in the same category. Because there is very good data showing processed meats to be cancer causing.

Thus, why I said that the WHO hasn't actually been able to provide a legitimate link between red meat and cancer, because they haven't. Red meat and processed meat aren't the same thing.

So beyond meat has cancer causing agents in it, and regular red meat "might" cause cancer.

Will you agree with that statement?

It’s basically a canola oil smoothie, so definitely not healthy. The only people I know who falsely think otherwise are clueless meat eaters who get to play vegetarian for a day.

The marketing I saw focuses on being meat free and environmentally sustainable.

I think Beyond Meat is a good choice for vegetarians who want the occasional junk food fix. A large part of a hamburger’s appeal are the bun and all the salty condiments.

As for the landmark WHO study on processed meat, it's another example of people not understanding percentages.

The WHO said that eating 50 grams of processed meat daily (that’s about the equivalent of a couple of sausages per day) increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%.

But it’s important to understand that this is a relative risk, not an absolute risk, cautions Jonathan Schoenfeld, an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School’s Department of Radiation Oncology.

The statistic doesn’t mean that eating 50 grams of processed meat daily causes you to have an 18% total chance of developing cancer — it means you’re 18% more likely to develop cancer relative to whatever your initial, absolute risk already was. For example, if you had a 10% risk of developing colon cancer to begin with, and you ate 50 grams of processed meat every day, your risk would increase by 18%.

Eighteen percent of 10% is 1.8% — so your total risk would increase to 11.8%. That's not trivial, but not a staggering rise, either.

In contrast, smoking is thought to increase the risk of developing lung cancer by about 25 times. That’s the same as saying the risk increases by 2,500%.

https://mashable.com/2015/10/31/processed-meat-cancer-risk/

Back