• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The News Thread

happy_everything.jpg

It's that time of year again! Krusty the Clown's non-denominational mid-December holiday special!

2711542-1715056781-hqdef.jpg

So have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kwazy Kwanzaa, a tip top Tet, and a solemn and dignified Ramadan.

grfitkrusty.jpg

Don't think I've ever said happy Chanukah to anyone before, but that's just because I haven't lived in areas with much of a Jewish population. I usually just say happy holidays and leave it at that. Never had any complaints.

Are you serious? Are there no Jews West of the Kenora city limits or something? I find this astonishing.

Kwanzaa is a modern made up American holiday created in the 1960s celebrated by almost no one, and even the Indian people I know barely gave two shits about Dhiwali though.

Oh I know Jewish people, but I have never said Happy Hannukah (that I recall)... and they've never wished me a merry Christmas (that I recall)... it never never crossed my mind to. I usually only say "Merry Christmas" on Christmas day... or at an actual Christmas party. Other than that I will say "happy holidays" or "have a good holidays." It's not even really a "political correctness" thing for me. It just makes more sense to me to include Christmas, New Years and whatever anyone else someone might celebrate.

I've never had anyone tell me that I shouldn't say "Merry Christmas" though. I've always worked at places where I deal with customers/public. I just don't really see the "war on Christmas" the same way that my Facebook feed does.

Oh I know Jewish people, but I have never said Happy Hannukah (that I recall)... and they've never wished me a merry Christmas (that I recall)... it never never crossed my mind to. I usually only say "Merry Christmas" on Christmas day... or at an actual Christmas party. Other than that I will say "happy holidays" or "have a good holidays." It's not even really a "political correctness" thing for me. It just makes more sense to me to include Christmas, New Years and whatever anyone else someone might celebrate.

I've never had anyone tell me that I shouldn't say "Merry Christmas" though. I've always worked at places where I deal with customers/public. I just don't really see the "war on Christmas" the same way that my Facebook feed does.

I'm just teasing you, Ray. It's never been a problem with me.

I tend to alternate between Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays depending on the context. There are some people I know who really prefer hearing the Christmas emphasis, and so I'll say Merry Christmas to them. I also have a couple of Jewish friends from university or high school that I will go out of my way to say Happy Hanukkah to simply because I know they're Jewish. The personal greeting tends to be dependent on context and situation for me, but I don't think about it too much otherwise.

There's too much annual silliness regarding the non-existent "War on Christmas" for me to take such histrionics seriously.

I'm just teasing you, Ray. It's never been a problem with me.

I tend to alternate between Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays depending on the context. There are some people I know who really prefer hearing the Christmas emphasis, and so I'll say Merry Christmas to them. I also have a couple of Jewish friends from university or high school that I will go out of my way to say Happy Hanukkah to simply because I know they're Jewish. The personal greeting tends to be dependent on context and situation for me, but I don't think about it too much otherwise.

There's too much annual silliness regarding the non-existent "War on Christmas" for me to take such histrionics seriously.

Yeah that makes sense. I don't have any close Jewish friends so that's why I never felt compelled to say happy Hanukkah. I'd imagine that if I was talking with a Jewish person around Christmas/Hanukkah I'd say it.

Don't think I've ever said happy Chanukah to anyone before, but that's just because I haven't lived in areas with much of a Jewish population. I usually just say happy holidays and leave it at that. Never had any complaints.

I just say Happy Christmas war is over.

I love to look at older white ladies and say "Merry CHRISTmas" and give them that solemn look like we are such badasses for ignoring the PC crowd. They love it.

IMO the Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday discussion each year is a useless waste of energy. People just need something to complain about and in my experience most people couldn't care less which greeting if any is used.

I usually say Merry Christmas out of habit, but on occasion I use Happy Holidays. Our next door Muslim neighbours have always brought us a Christmas gift and wished us a Merry Christmas. We in turn wish them Happy Holidays and reciprocate with a small gift ( not wrapped in Xmas paper) for their children. Everybody end up with a smile on their face. I can't recall any of the Jewish or Muslim people I know making an issue out of the greeting used. It usually seems to be the aging yuppie core that emphasis that the word Christmas is a no-no.

Last edited:
I'm offended! Festival? Saturnalia? Come on!

Not sure what the day is for the Flying Spaghetti Monster. But I'm sure it involves freshly grated parmesan and plenty of Chianti.

Back