• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: MLB Thread

Agreed and most importantly the ability to wrestle away exclusive TV rights from Belleville-westward that Blow Jays were handed on a silver platter by Charlie in 1976.

Not sure why Bell would want to get involved in a money loser. The plan is for a 32000 seat stadium at an average ticket price of $41.00CDN. That is hardly a recipe to compete with Boston and New York.

A well run small market team in the web business model age isn’t necessarily a money loser, and they get their occasional shot at on field glory. KC, Brewers, etc.

Not sure why Bell would want to get involved in a money loser. The plan is for a 32000 seat stadium at an average ticket price of $41.00CDN. That is hardly a recipe to compete with Boston and New York.
The recipe for success will be to attain the drafting and development success of the 90’s Expos combined with using the luxury tax to lock players up - which didn’t exist back then.

The recipe for success will be to attain the drafting and development success of the 90’s Expos combined with using the luxury tax to lock players up - which didn’t exist back then.

You have the luxury of controlling your young players for 6 full seasons . That’s the reason teams like KC can win a title when your best players are 24-27 and haven’t hit the jack pot.

The luxury tax is not much of a factor . The threshold is what close to 200 mil which only a few teams get to anyway.

Montreal, not as good of a baseball market as thought:

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news...aseball-market-as-we-thought-report-1.8689311

Ranks montreal only ahead of Cleveland based on the currency exchange. If you add the fact, the ownership group is just a mish mash of people who plan to do things cheaply, I would give the team 5 years until attendance drops enough to consider it a failure. Only way the team survives is if a media group like Bell is the owner and uses it as content and actually plans to have a competitive payroll.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news...aseball-market-as-we-thought-report-1.8689311

Ranks montreal only ahead of Cleveland based on the currency exchange. If you add the fact, the ownership group is just a mish mash of people who plan to do things cheaply, I would give the team 5 years until attendance drops enough to consider it a failure. Only way the team survives is if a media group like Bell is the owner and uses it as content and actually plans to have a competitive payroll.

yeah ignoring exchange rate is pretty silly. Of course the ones who think the sky is pink say this report is irrelevant and Montreal is a baseball market, well because it is.

yeah ignoring exchange rate is pretty silly. Of course the ones who think the sky is pink say this report is irrelevant and Montreal is a baseball market, well because it is.

Montreal has always been a habs city first, a winners city second, and a big event city third.

Montreal will always support the habs. Junior teams and the like, not so much.

Montreal will always back winners. The Als and Impact pact their home games when they have winning teams, but Montreal will turn on them once they start to struggle. The Als are a perfect example.

And Montreal will always show up for annual sporting events or something that comes around once every few years. Rogers cup, Formula one, commonwealth games, sure, they will show up for that.

But the expos? A few losing seasons with payroll nowhere near the contenders, a low Canadian dollar and shitty attendance, they will fold. Again.

The Als will be fine...as they play in a Canadian League

The Impact will never be fine....they can’t even compete with college cities like Columbus, or cities like Kansas City. People are already getting tired of the Impacts.

As for the Expos coming back, I’d like to know which media guys are keeping this idea alive, because i can tell you i don’t know anyone that cares about the Expos...no one...
This is all media created interest just to try and “sell papers”...just like absolutely needing to hire a french coach is media created (fans don’t care)

The Als will be fine...as they play in a Canadian League

The Impact will never be fine....they can’t even compete with college cities like Columbus, or cities like Kansas City. People are already getting tired of the Impacts.

As for the Expos coming back, I’d like to know which media guys are keeping this idea alive, because i can tell you i don’t know anyone that cares about the Expos...no one...
This is all media created interest just to try and “sell papers”...just like absolutely needing to hire a french coach is media created (fans don’t care)

The impact need a star player with name recognition to get asses in seats. They keep nickle and diming their way through each season, and ending up in the middle, either just in or just out of the playoffs. So ya, nobody is excited about that.

As for the als, their owner is tired of losing money, and they are bringing in 10 000 fans a game. That's a toxic combination. They will be in trouble before too long should they not turn the corner.

The impact need a star player with name recognition to get asses in seats. They keep nickle and diming their way through each season, and ending up in the middle, either just in or just out of the playoffs. So ya, nobody is excited about that.

As for the als, their owner is tired of losing money, and they are bringing in 10 000 fans a game. That's a toxic combination. They will be in trouble before too long should they not turn the corner.

Not many top end players want to come to MTL

Not many top end players want to come to MTL

Players go to where the money is.

If a European like Rooney is looking to come to north America, I don't think it matters whether its to go to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Columbus Minnesota or Kansas City.

They will go to the one offering them the most.

Players go to where the money is.

If a European like Rooney is looking to come to north America, I don't think it matters whether its to go to Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Columbus Minnesota or Kansas City.

They will go to the one offering them the most.

Most of them ended up in big US cities however

The Impact did have di Vaio, Nesta and Drogba - Saputo knows how lavish these guys with cash. But the org backed off signing aged stars for performance reasons. They’ve changed their model, and it appears that signing aged stars from Europe is done.

Younger B level talent from Latin America is the ticket.

Back