• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The official Marlies playoff "Road to Calder" thread

number17

Mod Squad
It's sad we're actually starting a thread about the AHL playoff, but with the Leafs golfing in April and a few Leafs prospects playing major roles in the Marlies playoff run it is the most relevant hockey for us at the moment ... so let's put all the Marlies playoff discussions in here.

The Marlies swept the Milwaukee Admirals last night, which is something the parent club hasn't done in ages ... what is especially impressive is the Marlies don't have an especially great goalie (MacIntyre is very average) or an AHL veteran filled lineup.

Percy, Carrick, D'Amigo and Leivo played well in Round 1, and McKegg, Ashton, Granberg, Holland (out of lineup at the moment because of injury) are among other NHL hopeful / prospects.

So let's cheer for the Marlies and hope we'll see them in the Calder cup final!

That team is well coached, there was no panic from the players at all, and Milwaukee never challenged McIntyre.

I saw the game on RogersTV and the farm team seems to have a much, much better implemented system than the NHL club. We played the perfect road game at home to close out Milwaukee. Milwaukee wasn't very disciplined, but they probably played the best game of the series for them last night, and Toronto grinded out a win.

Yes it is ... especially if it is away game. If it's home game at least you do get multiple camera angles and HD.

So the 2nd round opponent is set and it's the Chicago Wolves, which is NOT the farm team of the Hawks but the St.Louis Blues instead (weird). Judging from how much comparison was made between the Blues and the Leafs this season, it's interesting we play their farm team in the 2nd round of the Calder cup.

Looking at the Wolves' lineup there are a few interesting names - Ty Rattie, which generated a bit of discussion at our draft back in 11, Christian Hanson, which was a Leaf briefly, then there's Joe Corvo and Keith Aucoin.

The Wolves won their division and finished the season with 4 points above Toronto, so this should be a fairly equal matchup.

If we're looking for a culture change, how about at the draft. ugh.

When they have top 10 picks they do seem to go high skill - Rielly and Kadri are the kind of picks I like to see my team make.

I wonder if that has to do with the GM having more say with top 10 picks whereas they tend to defer to their scouting staff more the lower in the first round they go. Burke's done pretty well with his Top 10 picks in the past.

I hated the Biggs pick and I don't particularly love the Gauthier pick.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select with the 8th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.....

.... Nick Ritchie.

I don't know enough about about Ritchie to say he is or isn't a good pick. He's just not a pure skill kind of player.

Yes it is ... especially if it is away game. If it's home game at least you do get multiple camera angles and HD.

So the 2nd round opponent is set and it's the Chicago Wolves, which is NOT the farm team of the Hawks but the St.Louis Blues instead (weird). Judging from how much comparison was made between the Blues and the Leafs this season, it's interesting we play their farm team in the 2nd round of the Calder cup.

Looking at the Wolves' lineup there are a few interesting names - Ty Rattie, which generated a bit of discussion at our draft back in 11, Christian Hanson, which was a Leaf briefly, then there's Joe Corvo and Keith Aucoin.

The Wolves won their division and finished the season with 4 points above Toronto, so this should be a fairly equal matchup.
Interestingly local fans of the Wolves don't have alot of love for the Blacks Hawks (and probably visa versa). Kind of a rivalry of sorts which goes back to the Bill Wirtz days (I *think* the Wolves even had greater attendances to their games than the Black Hawks then).

Last edited:
The Marlies still have not lost a playoff game yet ... sweeping round 1 3-0, and then thus far in round 2 we've won both games in Chicago, looking to finish them off at home.

D'Amigo, Leivo and Ashton have looked good among F's thus far. all 3 have a chance of making the Leafs next season.

Go Marlies Go!!!

It's sad to think how much better we would've been even last year if we'd deleted Clarkson from the lineup and replaced him with any of D'Amigo, Leivo or Ashton.

I thought Leivo looked great in the preseason - or at least not out of place. But NHL teams like to keep both teams competitive, and would rather sign a veteran to hold the spot on the NHL club until the youngster pushes them out of the role.

It's sad to think how much better we would've been even last year if we'd deleted Clarkson from the lineup and replaced him with any of D'Amigo, Leivo or Ashton.

D'Amigo is much better than Shitson

D'Amigo can't play center. though i guess he wouldn't be any worse than Smithson.

Hopefully we see a guy or 2 from the Marlies push for a spot on the Leafs next year.

Back