• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

Hickey on hockey: Mitch Marner is worth offer-sheet risk for Canadiens
Habs GM hates giving up picks, but two firsts, a second- and a third-rounder is a fair price to pay for a 22-year-old who is already a star.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/hickey-on-hockey-5

Sign him to 9m+ a year, and have no room to add another forward, and any improvement on D ANDDDD lose the next 2 firsts. Sounds like a great idea, Hickey sure knows hockey! But it's these kind of opinion pieces that force the habs to make dumb moves and not win anything for 25 years because the fans/journalists are impatient and don't understand how things work.

If you think offer sheeting him is solely in the hopes of us getting him, you're wrong.

It's to force Toronto to have to overpay for him. No way in hell is two 1sts, one 2nd & a 3rd fair value for Marner. Well the problem then becomes, Toronto is forced to match.

That said, there's no chance Marner signs for $9M. If he's foolish enough to accept $9M, Toronto matches in a second. He'll be getting about the same as Auston Matthews, which would cost four 1sts. That would be something I wouldn't be sure if I'd pay for Marner.

Last edited:
If you think offer sheeting him is solely in the hopes of us getting him, you're wrong.

It's to force Toronto to have to overpay for him. No way in hell is two 1sts, one 2nd & a 3rd fair value for Marner. Well the problem then becomes, Toronto is forced to match.

That said, there's no chance Marner signs for $9M. If he's foolish enough to accept $9M, Toronto matches in a second. He'll be getting about the same as Auston Matthews, which would cost four 1sts. That would be something I wouldn't be sure if I'd pay for Marner.

That was the stupidest part of the post.

Marner wants 10+, which costs 4 first rounders. This team is one Carey price injury from a lottery pick, no way they give up 4 first rounders.

I wrote 9m+ , which could encompass all amounts over! lol. But, if you think the habs are going to offer sheet TO just to get them to overpay him by .5-1m that makes no sense. They just overpaid Nylander by a full 1-1.5, and it would be too risky. Also, Hickey assumed it would be under 10.1m, which would anyone here really want him signed for more? If Marner wants 10m+ , I highly doubt this team would give up 4 1st round picks. (please say I did not just jinx the team and MB will do it)

I would offer sheet Kapanen or Johnson. Both young and proven. Anything less than $4M costs just a 2nd rounder.

That was the stupidest part of the post.

Marner wants 10+, which costs 4 first rounders. This team is one Carey price injury from a lottery pick, no way they give up 4 first rounders.
Actually.... $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 per 2019 compensation results in as Hickey said:

“If the Canadiens offered Marner a salary between US$8.54 million and US$10.56 million and they are successful, the Canadiens would have to give the Leafs two first-round draft choices, as well as a second-rounder and a third-rounder.”

As GG stated there’s zero chance Leafs would not match $10.568M AAV...but they get royally screwed in the process and pretty much kiss Shana-Plan goodbye as Tavares + Mathews + Marner would be making over 40% of the cap

Last edited:
I wrote 9m+ , which could encompass all amounts over! lol. But, if you think the habs are going to offer sheet TO just to get them to overpay him by .5-1m that makes no sense. They just overpaid Nylander by a full 1-1.5, and it would be too risky. Also, Hickey assumed it would be under 10.1m, which would anyone here really want him signed for more? If Marner wants 10m+ , I highly doubt this team would give up 4 1st round picks. (please say I did not just jinx the team and MB will do it)

Any team that is stupid enough to offer sheet Marner needs to go 13+

Last edited:
Actually.... $8,454,872 - $10,568,589 per 2019 compensation results in as Hickey said:

“If the Canadiens offered Marner a salary between US$8.54 million and US$10.56 million and they are successful, the Canadiens would have to give the Leafs two first-round draft choices, as well as a second-rounder and a third-rounder.”

As GG stated there’s zero chance Leafs would not match $10.568M AAV...but they get royally screwed in the process and pretty much kiss Shana-Plan goodbye as Tavares + Mathews + Marner would be making over 40% of the cap

They are screwed period . That 91 contract did them in .

There is Validity to a post mentioned above about offer sheeting as a strategy to screw a teams payroll plan.

The Leaf situation could be an example of a rival team wanting to put an even bigger sting in the payroll crunch the Leafs are going to be in this summer.

Dubas has mentioned that any offer sheet will be matched....if some team wants Marner and is ready to go to 11-12 mil there are good chances the Leafs will match despite the tempting compensation.

At that point Dubas has pretty much lost any leverage he has or had because of a rival GM

And Dubas also realizes like some of us here that whatever the compensation is there is a tiny percentage that any of those draft picks become as good as Marner so he will still rather have his star forward

I would offer sheet Kapanen or Johnson. Both young and proven. Anything less than $4M costs just a 2nd rounder.

That’s the strategy teams should take . Start depleting their secondary depth that chip in 20+ plus a year and are good players.

These guys want to get paid and will sign those contracts with some term .

They will match any Marner offer but will lose depth in the process.

That’s the strategy teams should take . Start depleting their secondary depth that chip in 20+ plus a year and are good players.

These guys want to get paid and will sign those contracts with some term .

They will match any Marner offer but will lose depth in the process.

When you go top heavy in your payroll like the Leafs are about to with 40 million tied up with Tavares, Mathews, Marner and Nylander you better have good entry level contract players coming in or else your bottom two lines will suffer.

When you go top heavy in your payroll like the Leafs are about to with 40 million tied up with Tavares, Mathews, Marner and Nylander you better have good entry level contract players coming in or else your bottom two lines will suffer.

yup , they will need to do that for the next few years as funds aren't available

There's tension building up between the Marner clan and Leafs.

I don't see the Marner taking any kind of hometown discount and the Marners feel he is just as important as pajama boy and Mathews.

If leafs don't come in at 11-11.5 there is little chance Marner signs...he'll test the RFA waters.

Dubas hope has to be that no team offer sheets him and all the leverage is in the Leafs camp

Last edited:
Back