• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Rumours, Innuendos and Flat out B.S.: 2021-22 Edition

What the Tavares AAV did more than anything is set a bar for their best forwards which is slowly but surely causing the cap crunch.

Tavares in most peoples minds falls 3rd on the forward depth chart of the Leafs as Mathews and Marner are already better forwards than Tavares and are likely to start trending in different directions as Mathews and Marner enter their primes while Tavares is a year away from hitting 30.

It was going to be very difficult for Mathews or Marner to accept 2 mil/year less than Tavares when they are already better players.

I am willing to bet that Leafs brass forecasted Mathews and Marner to be somewhere around 10 mil and 8 mil respectively at this point of their careers before the tavares contract came into the fold.

Take a look at the TB situation in which they set a bar for their best forward to be at 9.5 AAV, their second best forward at 8.5 mil.

Where do you think this will put Brayden Point? probably at 9 mil right in between Kucherov and Stamkos.

TB has done exactly what Shanahan was hoping his young Leaf players would do and take a team friendly AAV.

Doesn't seem to be the case as his young guns seem to want UFA type deals as RFAs

Toronto is getting killed by their star players. Crippling them with high contracts. We actually seem to get lucky with contracts with guys like BG and even Max. Leafs get no luck at all. The team will be getting worst instead of better. We should competing with and beating them soon in the future... we will have a much more balanced team

Toronto is getting killed by their star players. Crippling them with high contracts. We actually seem to get lucky with contracts with guys like BG and even Max. Leafs get no luck at all. The team will be getting worst instead of better. We should competing with and beating them soon in the future... we will have a much more balanced team

Except the Habs kinda suck.... still super dependent on Price.

What the Tavares AAV did more than anything is set a bar for their best forwards which is slowly but surely causing the cap crunch.

Tavares in most peoples minds falls 3rd on the forward depth chart of the Leafs as Mathews and Marner are already better forwards than Tavares and are likely to start trending in different directions as Mathews and Marner enter their primes while Tavares is a year away from hitting 30.

It was going to be very difficult for Mathews or Marner to accept 2 mil/year less than Tavares when they are already better players.

I am willing to bet that Leafs brass forecasted Mathews and Marner to be somewhere around 10 mil and 8 mil respectively at this point of their careers before the tavares contract came into the fold.

Take a look at the TB situation in which they set a bar for their best forward to be at 9.5 AAV, their second best forward at 8.5 mil.

Where do you think this will put Brayden Point? probably at 9 mil right in between Kucherov and Stamkos.

TB has done exactly what Shanahan was hoping his young Leaf players would do and take a team friendly AAV.

Doesn't seem to be the case as his young guns seem to want UFA type deals as RFAs

TB didn't bring in a FA to shift the pay scale . This was an internal structure , just like the Bruins .

If Boston added an 11 mil JT just before Pasta and Marchand needed to resign , they would be fcked the same way.

If Boston added an 11 mil JT just before Pasta and Marchand needed to resign , they would be fcked the same way.
Bruins almost did as JTs final decision was apparently down to Leafs vs Bruins...

Can’t forego a top end talent like JT because of cap concerns - GMs should have contingency plans in place, Dubas likely does in Kadri to address the upcoming season and will likely need to play it one season at a time.

Bruins almost did as JTs final decision was apparently down to Leafs vs Bruins...

Can’t forego a top end talent like JT because of cap concerns - GMs should have contingency plans in place, Dubas likely does in Kadri to address the upcoming season and will likely need to play it one season at a time.

Portuguese boy was coming home ......never a doubt

TB didn't bring in a FA to shift the pay scale . This was an internal structure , just like the Bruins .

Not sure how much internal structure matters. Players look for comparables around the league. Subban didn't need any internal structure to get his contract in Montreal.

I can see kessel in Minny, just not seeing why Pittsburgh would be interested in either of those forwards

Except the Habs kinda suck.... still super dependent on Price.

The habs at the moment far from suck. They are a few pieces away from looking down at the leafs in the standing next year. Common man stop exaggerating. Price had lots of runs support last year and should only get better.

That Kessel deal is one I'm not sure why either team would do. Both teams are trying to get rid of a bad contract by attaching it to a good player. It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

I'd much rather do that deal if I'm Pittsburgh than Minny, though. If only for the fact that they'd get younger and I don't think Rask is nearly as bad as he was in Minny.

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
Interesting to note, the Penguins had serious interest in Galchenyuk before Montreal dealt him to Arizona last summer. Could he be part of a deal if the Coyotes get serious about Kessel?

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod
Interesting to note, the Penguins had serious interest in Galchenyuk before Montreal dealt him to Arizona last summer. Could he be part of a deal if the Coyotes get serious about Kessel?

Pens were also very interested in Domi

*Doubt Arizona is on Kessel's 8 team list. Surprised Minnesota wasn't since he went to college there and is from nearby Madison.

*OK read the article and it said Arizona is on the list...now that's weird.

Rick Tocchet and Kessel have a good relationship apparently, hence Az

Apparently 6 of 8-teams on Kessel’s list are southern based teams - Fla, TBay, Dal, Preds, VGK, Az

Last edited:
Back