• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer Thread

So the Big Owe will finally get a retractable roof 50 years after the Olympics. I can't believe that hunk of concrete is still deemed viable.

$200M -- $300M reno.

How much for a brand new downtown stadium with modern amenities....and potential home for other sports.

Last edited:
Too late. The bid is in....

All you need is a mayor or government official in 2 years to change their minds and convince the voters that it's wasted money, and all of a sudden Montreal won't get matches....

All you need is a mayor or government official in 2 years to change their minds and convince the voters that it's wasted money, and all of a sudden Montreal won't get matches....

Take the 300M and build a downtown stadium (a private consortium can pay for the rest). You'll get a baseball team and a modern place to watch rock concerts/MMA/other big events like NHL Draft/OutdoorGames/etc

The Big Owe should be demolished, not spruced up.

Take the 300M and build a downtown stadium (a private consortium can pay for the rest). You'll get a baseball team and a modern place to watch rock concerts/MMA/other big events like NHL Draft/OutdoorGames/etc

The Big Owe should be demolished, not spruced up.

It would cost 600-700 million to tear down.

Its also used for stuff these days.https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...g-o-montreals-olympicstadium/article37169871/

Beneath the leaning tower, the province renovated five of the stadium's six Olympic pools and built a national training centre for elite amateur athletes.

On a recent weekday, aspiring Olympian fencers thrust and parried, judoka wrestled and ordinary gym rats lifted weights in the spacious and bright training rooms beneath the immense grey, cantilevered pillars. Young athletes tried out for the national synchronized swim team in one pool while several dozen seniors exercised in another. The stadium has become one of the nicest recreational hubs in the city for Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, one of Montreal's poorest neighbourhoods.

An elevator ride leads to tower floors that were dormant for 30 years and are now being renovated into a workplace for 1,000 Desjardins Group credit-union employees. The stadium has 700 other tenants, many of them non-profit and sporting organizations.

Despite the hum of activity, the stadium will never pay for itself, the chief manager readily admits. "Because we have no sports teams, a lot of people in Canada and Quebec think nothing happens at the stadium," said Michel Labrecque, president of Parc Olympique, the provincial agency that runs the stadium. "But we're holding trade shows and shooting movies in here 150 to 180 days a year. People don't realize it."

5-0 for Russia lol
Can't be happier than this. Saudi are shitty NT and nation. Fcuking amateurish defending. This team shouldn't even be allowed to be in WC. With all oil money and great prepration, they shit the bed again. My local team defend better than these guys.

5-0 for Russia lol
Can't be happier than this. Saudi are shitty NT and nation. Fcuking amateurish defending. This team shouldn't even be allowed to be in WC. With all oil money and great prepration, they shit the bed again. My local team defend better than these guys.

Is this an Arab thing?

Not the WC result, at least not yet. Medicore team in level of allowing goals in WC. 8-0 against Germany in 2002, 3-0 against Ireland same year. 4-0 against France in 98. 4-0 against Ukraine in 2006(i guess?).
We are talking about Russia, a team that we tied few months a go in freindly match.
they can buy everything,,,,

Back