• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs News & Notes: 2019 Offseason

Re: Habs News & Notes: 2018-19 Regular Season

We do not know if the consortium continued to borrow against the equity in the team. Is there anywhere we can find current liabilities/debt load?

The habs have doubled in value over the 10 years molson has owned it, if they have been borrowing against the equity and are still tight financially...

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, so I'll share it here.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sour...gQIDhAR&usg=AOvVaw1TIbNVQeqZrokHvcrps1g8&cf=1

Habs are worth 1.3 billion dollars US. Molson bought the team for 575 million Canadian. The team is worth 1.7 billion dollars Canadian.

For all of those worried about Molsons pocketbook.

Value and income are two separate issues.

BTW, thanks a lot for nothing last night, Predators got punked by Vancouver

Guibs will be sad.

I'm more sad that we keep done players like Schlemko instead of giving a younger player more icetime and possibly get them better. We all know Schlemko sucks and he can't do better. Why not give his icetime to a younger player who honnestly can't do worst but still has upside?

I'm more sad that we keep done players like Schlemko instead of giving a younger player more icetime and possibly get them better. We all know Schlemko sucks and he can't do better. Why not give his icetime to a younger player who honnestly can't do worst but still has upside?

It will be interesting to see if they get Juulsen and Reilly into the lineup at the same time. I suspect they won't unless they take out Kulak.

Schlemko doesn’t suck. He’s s very serviceable 3rd pairing d-man. Benn sucks.

Schlemko doesn’t suck. He’s s very serviceable 3rd pairing d-man. Benn sucks.
Schlemko-Petry pairing has done a solid job since Weber’s return.

Benn needs to be dealt - teams always in trouble stuck in their Dzone when he’s on the ice.

Tells you everything you need to know about Ouellet. Nobody wanted him even as a depth guy.

Tells you everything you need to know about Ouellet. Nobody wanted him even as a depth guy.
McGuire said the other day Ouellet is known league wide as a player always having to defend his giveaways.

After the Ouellette demotion the Habs now have the fifth most cap space in the league at about 9.3 mil.

Habs News & Notes: 2018-19 Regular Season

@MA_PerreaultTVA
Avec l'espace de 9,3 millions sous le plafond salarial, Bergevin recherche particulièrement les "deals" à la Joel Armia. C'est-à-dire ramasser un gros salaire comme incitatif.
Any chance Sens would hand over Tkachuk if Habs take on Bobby Ryan’s contract? [emoji102]

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h...the-black-is-bottom-line-for-bleu-blanc-rouge

Gillett bought the team from Molson Brewery and at the time Molson CEO Dan O’Neill told anyone who would listen that the Canadiens were nothing but a drag on the Molson’s business. Famously when Gillett bought the iconic franchise, there wasn’t a single Canadian company willing to step up to the plate to try to acquire the Habs because the team was seen as a financial liability.

Seventeen years later, the bleu-blanc-rouge is a cash cow, with annual profits of $102 million, according to Forbes.

After two wins against Ottawa this week, Montreal is holding down the first wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference, although it’s fair to say it’s an open question as to whether the Habs will make the playoffs. But what the Forbes numbers underline is that they don’t actually need to make it to the post-season to generate fantastic profits, especially if general manager Marc Bergevin is helping out his boss by keeping $7 million to $9 million in the CH bank account each year.

The core of the Canadiens’ profitability is the blind support of its fan base and that’s a pretty sweet thing for a brand to have. Is all that money the sole cause of the mediocrity of the 21st century Habs? Of course not. There are loads of other factors, starting with the CH obsession with always looking nostalgically at past glories rather than present-day challenges. All I’m saying is that when you can’t close the company safe because there are hundred-dollar bills flying in every direction, there is no urgency to be the best in the league.

Really sounds like the habs are struggling.

Profits of 102 million dollars a year for a mediocre team.

Being almost $10 m below the cap in back to back years is criminal when they’re that profitable. Even if Forbes is wrong and it’s half that it’s criminal.

Being almost $10 m below the cap in back to back years is criminal when they’re that profitable. Even if Forbes is wrong and it’s half that it’s criminal.

last year i would agree

this year i do not mind - especially if it means no more alzner type contracts

Back