• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Everything Auston Matthews thread

LeBrun says in terms of best players in the league he has Papi at #3 behind McDavid and Crosby and that he's climbing. LeBrun mentioned by the end of the year there may be a different conversation (Matthews may rise).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

McDavid has him beat on passing and creative set ups at the moment, and is faster, but Matty is way stronger on the puck, way heavier and tougher to handle as he barrels in, better at keeping the puck on his stick and stealing it off others, harder shot, lethal accuracy. Tough to say I'd take Connor over him if they were being drafted together.

Hoping Auston can keep up a high level of play all year like the greats do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not. McDavid still produces more offensively overall, is the better possession player, higher xGF% (and relative xGF) by a lot if you lump this season and last season together.

Now, if this 4 game sample Auston is the "real" Auston (I don't mean the 220 point pace, but just "looks" like this all year) there's a legit discussion. But McDavid is ****ing incredible. I hate to do this to anyone, but watch a couple Oilers games, McDavid is absolutely ****ing incredible.

This year plus last year:

McDavid: 3.30p/60, 2.40p1/60
Matthews: 3.26p/60, 2.90p1/60

the relative stats are interesting - they're actually close in the relative defensive stats, but Connor beats him bigtime in the relative offensive stats.

but that could just be because the rest of his team lacks any kind of offensive talent whatsoever.

He's not. McDavid still produces more offensively overall, is the better possession player, higher xGF% (and relative xGF) by a lot if you lump this season and last season together.

Now, if this 4 game sample Auston is the "real" Auston (I don't mean the 220 point pace, but just "looks" like this all year) there's a legit discussion. But McDavid is ****ing incredible. I hate to do this to anyone, but watch a couple Oilers games, McDavid is absolutely ****ing incredible.

McDavid is absolutely incredible, no doubt. And Matthews won't score 100 goals (I don't think...). But they are very different kinds of players. I think an opposing team might have a harder time dealing with Matty than Connor. It's incredibly close, not like a wide margin or anything, but Matty is right now playing some of the most dominant hockey I have ever seen anyone play, ever.

definitely not lol worthy. but he'd need to put up 100 point hardware worthy seasons.

And even if he does, people will say Matthews couldn't do it on the Oilers roster.

While I don't agree with the statement, I don't think it's lol worthy either.

i just find the whole thing funny
every time matthews goes on a streak he gets compared to McDavid
a four game sample is not going to change my mind

matthews has the potential to gain ground on McDavid
but McDavid is just on another ****ing level

thankfully the Oilers will screw it up by giving him nothing to work with
i mean you guys complain about hyman but ty rattie .... honest to god ty rattie

Yeah, I've seen a franchise player on the Leafs in my lifetime (Mats). But I think the closest we've come to seeing a "generational" talent was Dougie, and that was only really 2 years at that level. Even then though, as great as those seasons were, he finished 7th and 4th in scoring respectively, and there was a comfortable gap between Dougie and the ridiculously elite players of that era (Gretz, Lemieux). Matthews has the ability to be just a hair below a generational level player imo. Basically super prime Dougie level, but every year for the next 10+ instead of just two of them. Loved Mats, but there is a big gap between how good Mats was, and how good Matthews already is at barely 21 yrs old.

I think it's a valuable exercise, when determining how good players across eras were compared to current day, to look at how much better the absolute best are than the player you're looking at. Matthews is neck and neck with the best players of this era offensively. Anyone else we would put forward for best Leaf was a pretty large step down from the best in their era.

Matthews stepped into the league and was immediately an elite centre. How many guys can you say that about? Currently — Crosby, malkin, mcdavid... who else?

Stamkos was a 40 point guy in his first year.

Thornton had a 7 point rookie season.

Mats came over after his d+1 season and didn’t emerge as a first line player until his third season in the league.

Matthews is in pretty rare company.

Dudes definitely the best player I’ve ever seen on the leafs.

I would put Crosby in the super elite for 18 year old. Over 100 points.

McDavid was hurt that year so hard to say where he would have ended up but unlikely it was that close to 100 points. Maybe 90.

Malkin was 19.

JT had 50+ points (so did Nugent Hopkins in 62 games).

Teenage Rookie Centers Adjusted Points
1. Gretzky - 117 pts
2. Crosby - 99 pts
(McDavid - 54 pts in 45 gp = 98 pt pace)
3. Trottier - 82 pts
(Lindros - 60 pts in 61 gp = 80 pt pace)
4. Lemieux - 79 pts
5. Matthews - 76 pts
6. Hawerchuk - 75 pts
7. MacKinnon - 70 pts
8. Yzerman - 69 pts
(Francis - 49 pts in 58 gp = 68 pt pace)
9. Carson - 67 pts
10. Eichel - 63 pts

Back