• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: WWE/MMA/Boxing Thread

Was pulling for AG but the inevitable happened.

Same. For many years Jones was "my guy" but after all this juicing bs i just can't get behind the guy. Not surprised he won. Tough to care about him at this point.

But holy shit what a KO for Nunes. Good for her. I imagine Cyborg gets an immediate rematch.

Followed Condit his entire career...guy is done. Love him but he's done.

Mean Gene dead at 76.

I was kind of shocked that he was only 76, I swear he looked 65 when I was watching wrestling as a kid.

Max Holloway is so skilled....I had never seen him till his previous fight. Was immediately impressed as heck. That Ortega guy must have a head made of concrete with some flesh on the outside. How he didn't get knocked out is beyond understanding. I don't think I have ever seen someone eat that many straight right hands to the melon in my life, and not fall down face first.

I don't think I have ever seen someone eat that many straight right hands to melon in my life, and not fall down face first.

You probably haven't. Max set a UFC record for significant strikes landed in that fight. I also don't recall seeing a boxing match with that type of consistent beat down either. Maybe one of the the Gatti-Ward trilogy fights.

Its too bad UFC has grappling, I am just not a huge fan of it. Sadly, as incredible Max Holloway is, he probably loses to Khabib. That Khabib wrestling young bears at a ridiculously young age has built up a core strength of a man far far bigger than he is.

If there were no grappling, Holloway would do to Khabib, what he did to Ortega. I just don't think anyone can beat Khabib right now, unless they daze him in the first and hurt him.

The way to beat Khabib imo, is to be able to mount a legitimate offence off of your back. Tony Ferguson is the guy with the tools to do that imo. I don't think outstanding take down defence is enough to keep Khabib off of someone. You're going to get taken down at some point and not getting gassed by his top pressure is huge. He's also so aggressive on the ground that he puts himself in positions where someone like Ferguson could at least cut him up with those elbows.

I don't know if Ferguson could beat him, but that's the only skill set I see out there capable of doing it.

Yeah, Khabib is unstoppable. Ferguson has the cardio to make it interesting, but not sure he can handle the wrestling.

I'd love to see Khabib/Askren.

Yeah, battle of the ultimate wrestle-****ers.

It would be boring as hell, but incredibly interesting at the same time.

Khabib is like a throwback to the 1970's Russian hockey team taking on the Canadian team. Just some sponsored Moose disguised as a normal looking guy. Well sorta normal.

Trained from a very, very young age, to have a core of Superman. I used to wrestle a lot, its fascinating how it builds your core up, just being in the game.

I watched some of his fights and he deliberately, in the case of fighting Al Iaquinta. just stood up and practised his boxing game. He could have taken him out any time he wanted to, but he worked in a pro fight, on his boxing skills.

Its risky to do that, but I used to do it too in tennis. Cost me a few matches, but I would toy with guys to work in a match, my weak elements.

I just don't think anyone can beat this guy unless they totally tree out of their minds and cut him up with an elbow or a great punch.

It would actually be pretty sad to see him take down Ferguson and Holloway to the ground and whimper them out like he did McGregor.

But I think he will do it, if we see those matchups.

I mean, if you watch the footage of him wrestling young bears, the bear, would get frustrated at times and just bite him. Crazy ass stuff, but obviously phenomenal prep for the future.

Mindzeye, as a guy who has had considerable street and amateur experience in the fight game I want your opinion.

To me, Tony Ferguson is PFP the best guy on his feet anywhere in the MMA. Better than Holloway.

Two questions: Do you think Ferguson schools Max?

Do you think as I do, this shit, Khabib beats Ferguson, as I fear he will. The New Jersey Devils all over again.

Mindzeye, as a guy who has had considerable street and amateur experience in the fight game I want your opinion.

To me, Tony Ferguson is PFP the best guy on his feet anywhere in the MMA. Better than Holloway.

Nah, Tony eats way too much shit in his stand up to be considered better than Max. He has more weapons than Max, but Max's ability to control distance, and his accuracy with both hands is unmatched in MMA, including Conor imo. Tony has the uncanny ability to recover from getting rocked, but he's there to get hit in every fight. He also wins with his ridiculous gas tank a lot but I don't see an advantage there...I don't think I've ever seen Max tired, even carrying the crazy pace he carries, another cardio freak.

Two questions: Do you think Ferguson schools Max?

No. Largely because Max would have zero interest in going to the ground with him, and Tony doesn't have the wrestling ability to bring the fight there. Max has legitimately outstanding take down defence and he's probably way closer to being a natural 155 pounder than he is a 145, I don't think strength will be an issue for him against a natural 155 (Khabib imo is closer to being a natural 170 than a natural 155...155 is a hard cut for him, and Khabib would still be a freak of nature at 170 imo).

Tony's unconventional striking could pose a problem (it's way easier to measure range against a conventional boxer, or even a 4 point kickboxer, than it is against someone looking to throw crazy back elbows on the way out of clenches) so just like in a Tony V Khabib fight, there's a chance of Tony pulling something out of left field and getting the finish, but Max is the better quality striker for my money.

Do you think as I do, this shit, Khabib beats Ferguson, as I fear he will. The New Jersey Devils all over again.

Yeah, I think Khabib beats Tony, but Tony has that off the back game that makes it interesting. Between his ability to use those sharp ass elbows to open you up, he's got a pile of submission weapons on the ground if Khabib makes a very uncharacteristic mistake in positioning. With that said, I think Khabib is just so incredibly good at being on the ground and putting people in the body posture he wants them in (I don't see him ending up in Tony's full guard for example, where Tony is most dangerous on his back), that it's unlikely he gets caught sleeping by Tony. I could see Tony gassing him out though if he's able to stuff the takedowns consistently (which nobody has done yet...but Tony's crazy ass takedown defence may be able to do)

Fwiw, if I was making a P4P top pure strikers list right now (UFC only...I'll omit Mighty Mouse):

1) Max
2) Dillashaw
3) Jones
4) Conor
5) a toss up between Ferguson/Wonderboy/Till/Adesanya/Zabit

With the proviso that Conor may in fact never be remotely the same and might not belong on a list like this anymore, but legacy is a mother****er and he has/had the legit death touch in that left hand.

*edited to add Adesanya & Zabit in the toss up group, based on how they handle improved competition over their next few fights*

Last edited:
Fwiw, if I was making a P4P top pure strikers list right now (UFC only...I'll omit Mighty Mouse):

1) Max
2) Dillashaw
3) Jones
4) Conor
5) a toss up between Ferguson/Wonderboy/Till

With the proviso that Conor may in fact never be remotely the same and might not belong on a list like this anymore, but legacy is a mother****er and he has/had the legit death touch in that left hand.

I know he hasn't fought yet in the UFC, but based on his body of work so far, where do you put Ben Askren?
Bah, nm I saw you're just talking about strikers.

I know he hasn't fought yet in the UFC, but based on his body of work so far, where do you put Ben Askren?
Bah, nm I saw you're just talking about strikers.

He's definitely in my top 5 for wrestle****ers (defining a wrestle****er as someone who puts you down, keeps you down, and makes you pay for it at a high level...not to be confused as a list of the best pure wrestlers, wrestle****ing is a slightly different animal...Henry Cejudo might be the best wrestler in UFC history, but he's just an okay wrestle****er. Romero might be the 2nd best wrestler in UFC history but almost never uses it and prefers to try to launch people into orbit, etc)

P4P wrestle****ers:

1) Khabib
2) Ben
3) DC
4) Usman
5) Edgar

I've only seen Askren fight cans in Asia, but he's looked every bit as stupid as Khabib with his top control making otherwise dangerous human beings look entirely bitch like.

Back