• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Thread of Game of Thrones (spoilers inside)

Re: OT: Movies/TV Shows

So ya Dany with the huge push last night. Shit just got interesting for her again

All I have to say is: goddamn, finally. In both the show & the books, her story's been dragging along for a ridiculously long time.

Should be interesting when she heads back towards Meereen with a giant horde of Dothraki at her back. Somehow, I think she's going to be in more of a "kill all of her enemies and ask questions later" mood instead of a "abide by a negotiated seven-year reprieve for slavery" mood.

We should have a separate GoT thread for the sake of those of us who are less enchanted with the series.

We should have a separate GoT thread for the sake of those of us who are less enchanted with the series.

And those of us who haven't watched it at all and plan on binge watching the series eventually.

giphy.gif

How much does that girl look like a young Justine Bateman from Family Ties. Resemblance is uncanny.

I'm very entertained by GoT this year, but I feel a lot less emotionally invested.

Losing out on the Lannister interfamily stuff after Joffrey and Tywin were killed, Tyrion ran off, and Oberyn had his head smashed in really changed the dynamic overall. Even last year with all the Cersei stuff with the High Septon, Stannis, and Snow was compelling. With the anticlimactic reawakening, and very little action at King's Landing this year, the only thing to get emotionally tied to is Bran's story, and even that they strangely stopped continuing the Ned Stark backstory, which should've been played out two episodes ago.

I think there's going to be some major dying going on at King's Landing soon, so I expect the emotional stakes to spike up significantly.

In the meantime, some of the cooler subplots have really played out painfully slow, like the Faceless Men stuff which I was really into.

How is nobody talking GoT? Curious to hear some theories on where Bran's story will end up.

Yep, it was refreshing to have a superhero movie that was worth watching that does not have someone intent on controlling/destroying the city/country/planet/universe.
I dunno ... I went to see Civil war last week and was quite disappointed by it, maybe because it was over-hyped in the beginning. It was very slow to me in the first half of the movie, and all in all i find the plot very predictable. Maybe there have been too many superhero movies as well.

It's worthwhile for on-demand and the 2 hrs but that's pretty much as far as I'd recommend.

How is nobody talking GoT? Curious to hear some theories on where Bran's story will end up.
So far I'm loving Season 6 of GoT ... story moves along at a much, much faster pace than season 5, and I love the Bran storyline (which I thought would be really boring) ... the 'time machine' plot really works for me.

(spoilers below)

Hodor was a big revelation in this episode, and very rarely would I get a heavy heart after watching TV series these days, but I really felt for hodor's life at the end of this episode ... well done.

find the Danny / Johran part a little cheesy but I'd take it.

the Sansa part is good ... she's finally playing the game. I like the Brienne / Sansa chemistry that is developing too.

Only 2 parts I didn't like in this episode. 1 was the whole Euron thing. I get why Euron would be elected, but the way it went down just didn't work for me. Especially how he won the election because of his speech about the queen in Maureen ... ok, so all you have to offer is the 200 ships and that's it? And she has the power, the money, the army ... in fact the slaves master were gonna give her to ships for free to send her off, so what makes your offer so appealing??! And if you're saying the Ironborns didn't accept Yara because she's a woman, fine. But their reaction to Yara after Theon gave his speech suggested otherwise. So I don't buy how Euron could turn the crowd around just like that. I also think it's extremely crazy for Euron to suggest the lords to go back and make 1000 ships. If ships are so easy to make and you can come up with 1000 ships in a relatively short period of time, then all the less reason for Euron to sell the idea to Queen of Maureen.

The other thing I didn't like was how the Night kind touched Bran in his vision and that's what took down the magic to protect the cave from nightwalkers. I mean, the children of the forest (what remain of them) were all staying in the cave, so it's super important they kept the cave off-guard from the white walkers. Therefore I just don't buy how the 3-eyed raven just so casually forgot to mention to Bran the 1 thing that could lead to the extinction of the children race. It was life and death and you'd think it's the first thing he'd tell Bran before he'd let him 'test drive' the whole vision / time travel thingy.

But otherwise, I really enjoy the episode, and really look forward to Ep 6 next week. Can't wait to see the religious guards (or wahtever they are called) going to war with Cersei & Co.

i wonder if Bran causes the Mad King to go mad.

that is one of the theories
but the bloodraven / three eyes raven is a targ - so maybe he did by trying to "help"

or maybe it is just that he went crazy

(my guess is if it happens it will be a book thing only - seems pretty specific for the show)

So far I'm loving Season 6 of GoT ... story moves along at a much, much faster pace than season 5, and I love the Bran storyline (which I thought would be really boring) ... the 'time machine' plot really works for me.

(spoilers below)

Hodor was a big revelation in this episode, and very rarely would I get a heavy heart after watching TV series these days, but I really felt for hodor's life at the end of this episode ... well done.

find the Danny / Johran part a little cheesy but I'd take it.

the Sansa part is good ... she's finally playing the game. I like the Brienne / Sansa chemistry that is developing too.

Only 2 parts I didn't like in this episode. 1 was the whole Euron thing. I get why Euron would be elected, but the way it went down just didn't work for me. Especially how he won the election because of his speech about the queen in Maureen ... ok, so all you have to offer is the 200 ships and that's it? And she has the power, the money, the army ... in fact the slaves master were gonna give her to ships for free to send her off, so what makes your offer so appealing??! And if you're saying the Ironborns didn't accept Yara because she's a woman, fine. But their reaction to Yara after Theon gave his speech suggested otherwise. So I don't buy how Euron could turn the crowd around just like that. I also think it's extremely crazy for Euron to suggest the lords to go back and make 1000 ships. If ships are so easy to make and you can come up with 1000 ships in a relatively short period of time, then all the less reason for Euron to sell the idea to Queen of Maureen.

The other thing I didn't like was how the Night kind touched Bran in his vision and that's what took down the magic to protect the cave from nightwalkers. I mean, the children of the forest (what remain of them) were all staying in the cave, so it's super important they kept the cave off-guard from the white walkers. Therefore I just don't buy how the 3-eyed raven just so casually forgot to mention to Bran the 1 thing that could lead to the extinction of the children race. It was life and death and you'd think it's the first thing he'd tell Bran before he'd let him 'test drive' the whole vision / time travel thingy.

But otherwise, I really enjoy the episode, and really look forward to Ep 6 next week. Can't wait to see the religious guards (or wahtever they are called) going to war with Cersei & Co.

just highlight to read - i do not know what a spoiler is and isnt at this point

The Euron thing was mostly likely a just get on with it type of thing. It was not done well but I do not think dragging it out for a few episodes would be better.
The ships thing blows me away - it would make more sense if they went stealing ships, etc. The iron island are not exactly forests. Though I like the idea of helping Dany get across.

Hodor was awesome because it was a REALLY long pay off. From season one / book one until now. Curious how Bran gets around now. No direwolf, no Hodor. Maybe we get to see Coldhands after all.

I just cant get behind the whole Kings Landing thing. I miss Joffrey.

that is one of the theories
but the bloodraven / three eyes raven is a targ - so maybe he did by trying to "help"

or maybe it is just that he went crazy

(my guess is if it happens it will be a book thing only - seems pretty specific for the show)

I don't know that he's a targ. I thought he was a stark. It seems there are a lot of Brandon-type names in the history of the show, too many to be just a fluke now that Bran can warp through time and actually interact while he's there.

Back