• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League - Regular Season 2018-19

Re: Around the League - Regular Season 2017-18

Based on current revenue, next season's cap will be between $78 and $82 million, up from the current $75 million.

Maybe our internal cap will go up to $70m.

Things are looking up.

It means that MB (if he wanted to) could really push the boat out and go after some big fish, knowing that he'll have more cap space next season.

Bettman says cap will rise next year. Estimated 78-82m from this year's 75m.

It means that MB (if he wanted to) could really push the boat out and go after some big fish, knowing that he'll have more cap space next season.

Except next season we will have about the same cap space (maybe less) as we do now after raises and RFA's. I.E Price's raise eats up most of Pleks salary next year.

This was the season we had random free cap space. It doesn't carry over to next year. Our cap situation was amazing this season, next it's only OK.

Right now we have just over 14 million for next year (before the cap raise) and will need to sign at least 8 players next year (unless we are using AHLer's, Juniors and draft picks ----- which we won't be).

This stuff is on the the internet...
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens

Last edited:

Except next season we will have about the same cap space (maybe less) as we do now after raises and RFA's. I.E Price's raise eats up most of Pleks salary next year.

This was the season we had random free cap space. It doesn't carry over to next year. Our cap situation was amazing this season, next it's only OK.

Right now we have just over 14 million for next year (before the cap raise) and will need to sign at least 8 players next year (unless we are using AHLer's, Juniors and draft picks ----- which we won't be).

This stuff is on the the internet...
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens

They have 18 players on the roster today that are signed for next year. So they only need to add 5 more for a roster of 23 and one of those could be Juulsen. They could easily sign Tavares , if he wanted to come here.

They have 18 players on the roster today that are signed for next year. So they only need to add 5 more for a roster of 23 and one of those could be Juulsen. They could easily sign Tavares , if he wanted to come here.

JT will get 12 million. We have 14 million in cap space available (before the raise) with 5-8 spots needed.

Quebec's only hope is for a relocation scenario to present itself, like Florida or Phoenix. They can't afford the expansion fees.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Quebec's only hope is for a relocation scenario to present itself, like Florida or Phoenix. They can't afford the expansion fees.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

League wants no part of the Peladeau group from what I hear , they pissed them off many years ago

League wants no part of the Peladeau group from what I hear , they pissed them off many years ago
That’s purely ancillary IMO - “the commission” wants to keep growing their evaluation, the only way that can happen is by trying to expand in markets with high TV revenue potential, all of which are in the US.

Quebec City is a saturated market, city’s not booming & projected to expand like many southern US cities presently attracting HQs. Along with attracting business comes people and TV revenue “potential”. Having a rabid fan base who will pack an arena is a nicety not a necessity.

US tax laws are well setup for HNWI (high net worth individuals) in pro-sports ownership...playing the shell game. I’ve yet to hear of an owner of a US based pro-sports team to actually come out on the losing end of owning a team in any US market when they sell - leaking of yearly projected losses to the media for public sympathy be damned.

Back