• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 Miscellaneous Canes News Thread

So Peters would have a $1.6 million salary next year but Dundon was going to pay the GM 25% of that?

This organization seems so directionless. Peters is not in the team exit interviews and is being given more time to find a new job/explore his options. So, Peters is in charge of coaching? Who runs a business and team like this?? Then to follow up with andy's point-- the coach was going to make $1.6 million and a potential GM is being offered a a quarter of that salary?!

Consider this STM with buyer's remorse...

Every time I read something about the Canes by Friedman lately, I have to take a knee.

To summarize ... it would appear that both the GM and Head Coach positions are still in play, despite the fact that we don't appear to be interviewing GMs and still have a coach under contract. We MIGHT be thinking about Vellucci for head coach, or maybe GM and the owner "is a Rod Brind'Amour fan." I mean, who isn't, but in what capacity?

Yeah. Filling me with the warm fuzzies, Canes. Now, least anyone accuse me of being overly harsh, I'll wait until it all unfolds before judging.

funny thing about Vellucci is he was the coach for 10+ years with Plymouth. Sounds like the background that would make him #1 on the list if Karmanos was still in charge.

Vellucci was also the Whaler's GM from 2001-2014, coaching all but Stefan's one-year stint.

If they are hiring from within for either slot, better him than either of the assistants for coach and I would prefer him over Waddell for puppet GM.

Yeah. Again, I’m not complaining about Vellucci. I’ve already said I’d prefer him to a pretty wide variety of unknowns. But maybe pick a role for the guy, ya know?

Guess they'll get around to it when they get around to it, eh? I'm with JB, let's wait and see... BUT speculatin' is a lot more fun!

Barry Trotz will likely be available if the Caps fail to get out of the first round- especially when they have home ice advantage...
That might also mean a vacancy for Peters to pursue,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For the record, if Barry Trotz becomes available and we have a legit coaching vacancy then we'd be stone cold nuts not to at least make a call. He ain't Toe Blake or anything, but Trotz is a legit bench boss.

Are we not concerned that Trotz has never made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs? When you haven't been in forever, just getting there is the first priority. But in his 10 prior trips to the playoffs, 7 with Nashville, 3 with the Caps, including the President's Trophy the last 2 years, he has 5 first round losses (all with Nashville) and 5 second round losses (2 with Nashville, 3 with the Caps).

Trotz has proven over the years the he can't win it all. He won't win in Washington just like he didn't win in Nashville. He had some good teams though. How important is a good team versus a Cup run? Will you be happy with a few 1st and 2nd round outs vs a 10 year drought? Thats what you get with Trotz.

Are we not concerned that Trotz has never made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs? When you haven't been in forever, just getting there is the first priority. But in his 10 prior trips to the playoffs, 7 with Nashville, 3 with the Caps, including the President's Trophy the last 2 years, he has 5 first round losses (all with Nashville) and 5 second round losses (2 with Nashville, 3 with the Caps).

At this point, I truly believe that we need professional coaching to GET to the playoffs and to make that a standard expectation rather than a pipe dream we hope for. Baby steps.

Trotz has proven over the years the he can't win it all. He won't win in Washington just like he didn't win in Nashville. He had some good teams though. How important is a good team versus a Cup run? Will you be happy with a few 1st and 2nd round outs vs a 10 year drought? Thats what you get with Trotz.

Yes. For the short run, decidedly yes. Am I honestly having to remind people that we haven't even made the playoffs in 9 freaking years? Am I worried that a prospective coach "can win the big ones" when we never even get in the game? No.

Trotz is old. You let a guy like that come in, get you headed in the right direction and THEN you worry about "the next level." Right now our next level is competence.

I'm still having a hard time getting a read on what Dundon may prefer for a head coach...a young, up and comer that likes to do things differently like himself, or a proven established coach that has been around the block? I guess all things being equal, I would prefer a Dave Tippett type coach that knows how to get them to play sound defensive hockey and be accountable. This team simply does not have the talent to run and gun or play that rough and tumble style...so you have to bring in a guy that will turn around the goals against and make them all play better in their own end. This team simply cannot win consistently if they are going to continue to give up 3 and 4 goals a night again.

Yeah. I agree. I'd like an old hand who's been there and done that, even if you go into the relationship knowing that the guy is limited. Obviously ... see my comments on Trotz. Tippet would be fine. At this stage I'd have been happy trying to what Dallas did with Hitchcock the last couple of years. Which is to grab a hot mess by the scruff of the neck with a proven coach. It didn't work, but nothing works all the time. Short term solution? Fine. In my opinion one of Carolina's MANY failings over the last decade has been avoiding short term solutions in favor of long term solutions that never seem to pan out.

Is that what I see Dundon doing? No, not really. But again, the guy has done so little that getting a read on him is all but impossible. He seems to be a break the mold guy, but honestly ... breaking Carolina's current mold would entail hiring a veteran, experienced NHL coach. We'll see, but I really don't think that's what's going to happen. I think we're going to get an outside the box "solution" ... aka yet again hoping some unproven guy will pan out big instead of hiring a guy you know will at least be competent.

Back