• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hey Nerds: Blockchain

OH is a monster. I sold most in the 10's but still have a small bit.

CBII doesn't really matter to me in the short-term but it is always strange to see such a great valued stock dump so much. It's a steal at these levels. If it sees all-time lows and heads into the 20cent range I just may have to get more aggressive with them...

Same here. CBII will be volatile.

How's the churning going btw? I ended 2018 with a total of $8200 in cash (between my SO and I) and another $3500 in other various credits (Amazon, credit card credits, etc.). This doesn't include the basically lifetime supply of free hotel redemptions. That was my worst year since I started as it has been getting a tad more tricky. Not bad ****ing gig though.

I have been able to accumulate about $4500 worth of points thus far this year. Will sell those off soon.. and I'm considering applying for a card that could make a trip to be York a bit easier. The Aventura business is a good one - that should cover a round trip for two to new York, with perhaps only paying the extra fees (120ish each). I'd likely have quite a bit of points leftover from that card too for hotels or other travel redemptions.

TD also has some terrific promotions. TD visa infinite first class and TD Aeroplan visa are no brainers. While Amex has been making things more difficult, there are plenty of awesome options out there. And frankly it doesn't hurt being forced to use some for travel. It can be far too easy to pocket all of the cash instead of enjoying it through travel. I usually sell my Aeroplan.. I used them once for a trip to Japan a couple years ago (back when there weren't any fuel surcharges for Japan destinations) but outside of that I just pocket the cash. Cards like the Aventura and TD Visa infinite almost force me to use it for travel which is nice.

Between cash and perks I've very likely reached 6 figures throughout my years of churning. Not bad for something I legitimately enjoy doing.

Last edited:
My churn game definitely needs help. Started last yr with Amex train (collected 170,000 MR points) plus SPG x2 plus Alaska Air Miles. Since then, I've been paralysed. No idea what to do next.

My churn game definitely needs help. Started last yr with Amex train (collected 170,000 MR points) plus SPG x2 plus Alaska Air Miles. Since then, I've been paralysed. No idea what to do next.

Did you close them after 6 months? And then apply again 6 months later? Doing the train with a SO makes things a hell of a lot more profitable (you can refer each other and get over double the points) but regardless there are many awesome promos available:

1. The 2 TD cards I mentioned earlier. 30,000 Aeroplan for the one card and 80,000 TD points (worth $400 if using Expedia for TD to book anything. Can also book travel any other way or get a statement credit for a lesser redemption rate) for the other. Both are slam dunks.

2. BMO world elite MasterCard has a pretty good promo right now I believe.

3. BMO air miles world elite. 3000 air miles after spending 3k in 3 months. First year free. I don't have this one but it's on my radar.

4. CIBC Aventura visa for business. 35,000 points plus $120 travel credit after spending 3k in 3 months. First year free. I used this one when I booked Japan - combined the points and the travel credit to get $450 off the already cheap flights. Very very good card here.

5. I don't know if you're in Quebec but the HSBC world elite MasterCard is a no brainer if you are. No brainer. Deal isn't great for anyone else.

6. Honourable mention: MBNA best western card. If you apply through gcr they'll give you $60. This card used to offer 60,000 points or at the very least 40,000. Keep an eye on any promos this summer. I just applied anyway for 20,000 points because it's a free card and doesn't require a minimum spend. Kind of a freebee. Points are typically worth about $0.01 each, so you'll get $200 worth of points plus $60 cash. Below my usual threshold for applying but I needed the points and no minimum spend makes it easy to take the plunge.

Those are my favourite promos right now. I simply keep them all open for six months, close them and wait for more promos. In the case of amex I just reapply six months later. Those can net me as much as $1200 each card. It will be a sad day when they completely make churning impossible for those.

My rule is that I typically look for at least a $300 value when I apply for cards. If I'm really looking, I'd accept $250. But there are usually more than enough cards out there to get the biggest rewards.

Last edited:
Did you close them after 6 months? And then apply again 6 months later? Doing the train with a SO makes things a hell of a lot more profitable (you can refer each other and get over double the points) but regardless there are many awesome promos available:

1. The 2 TD cards I mentioned earlier. 30,000 Aeroplan for the one card and 80,000 TD points (worth $400 if using Expedia for TD to book anything. Can also book travel any other way or get a statement credit for a lesser redemption rate) for the other. Both are slam dunks.

2. BMO world elite MasterCard has a pretty good promo right now I believe.

3. BMO air miles world elite. 3000 air miles after spending 3k in 3 months. First year free. I don't have this one but it's on my radar.

4. CIBC Aventura visa for business. 35,000 points plus $120 travel credit after spending 3k in 3 months. First year free. I used this one when I booked Japan - combined the points and the travel credit to get $450 off the already cheap flights. Very very good card here.

5. I don't know if you're in Quebec but the HSBC world elite MasterCard is a no brainer if you are. No brainer. Deal isn't great for anyone else.

6. Honourable mention: MBNA best western card. If you apply through gcr they'll give you $60. This card used to offer 60,000 points or at the very least 40,000. Keep an eye on any promos this summer. I just applied anyway for 20,000 points because it's a free card and doesn't require a minimum spend. Kind of a freebee. Points are typically worth about $0.01 each, so you'll get $200 worth of points plus $60 cash. Below my usual threshold for applying but I needed the points and no minimum spend makes it easy to take the plunge.

Those are my favourite promos right now. I simply keep them all open for six months, close them and wait for more promos. In the case of amex I just reapply six months later. Those can net me as much as $1200 each card. It will be a sad day when they completely make churning impossible for those.

My rule is that I typically look for at least a $300 value when I apply for cards. If I'm really looking, I'd accept $250. But there are usually more than enough cards out there to get the biggest rewards.

Thanks man! TD was going to be my next move. So will do that next. Appreciate all the info. For SPG (now Marriot cards) do you always keep one card open?

Thanks man! TD was going to be my next move. So will do that next. Appreciate all the info. For SPG (now Marriot cards) do you always keep one card open?

I typically do only so that I can refer the SO or myself for the next card. I close it as soon as I get the referral points. I know they offer the annual free night reward which isn't a bad deal. I value 35,000 points at about $290 so it could be worth the annual fee. But personally I'd rather churn it for the extra 30,000 or 35,000 points (including the referral points).

Be careful with that one though.. there have been some reports of churners not getting their welcome bonus anymore. Seems kind of hit or miss with that card. Sad days could be ahead.

OH made a new all time high with another late day spike.

In other possible good news:

House Will Vote To End Federal Marijuana Prohibition Within ‘Weeks,’ Key Chairman Says

“We will guide it to the House floor for a vote, which I think it will pass with an overwhelming vote—Democrats and I think a lot of Republicans as well,” said Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA), whose Rules Committee decides how legislation is handled on the chamber’s floor. “If we have a strong bipartisan vote that will increase the pressure on the Senate to do something.”

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/house-will-vote-to-end-federal-marijuana-prohibition-within-weeks-key-chairman-says/

Can I just say, that, like Napoleon Dynamite's brother, I love technology?

At home, I have the latest and greatest Microsoft laptop, which is such a ****ing joy to work on, with everything going lightning fast, no crashing, beautiful screen. And at the office I have this 6 year old Sony all in one desktop which is literally the exact opposite and drives me nuts. I've just been too lazy, and maybe a little cheap, about replacing it because it still works just fine overall and is a pain in the ass to flip out for something new to synch with everything. But man. The difference new shit makes in your life.

Can I just say, that, like Napoleon Dynamite's brother, I love technology?

At home, I have the latest and greatest Microsoft laptop, which is such a ****ing joy to work on, with everything going lightning fast, no crashing, beautiful screen. And at the office I have this 6 year old Sony all in one desktop which is literally the exact opposite and drives me nuts. I've just been too lazy, and maybe a little cheap, about replacing it because it still works just fine overall and is a pain in the ass to flip out for something new to synch with everything. But man. The difference new shit makes in your life.

I get lazy about replacing stuff but then I think "never skimp on work/productivity tools". It pays for itself.

Entertainment, I can be more frugal about. Do I really need the latest tv? probably not.

Was waiting for the day when Canadian pot companies leverage their early lead and gobble their US counterparts. Didn't think it would happen until US went completely legal. But this is a game changer.

*CANOPY GROWTH IS SAID TO BE NEAR DEAL TO BUY ACREAGE HOLDINGS

Will be interesting if it goes thru

(Reuters) - Canadian marijuana producer Canopy Growth Corp is close to a deal to buy U.S.-based pot firm Acreage Holdings, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday.

The deal is expected to fetch a premium of about 28 percent to Acreage's five-day average trading price - or roughly 25 percent of its closing price on Wednesday, the source said.

The transaction could be announced as soon as later on Wednesday, the source said, but cautioned there is no certainty that the two parties will agree to any deal.

I really should have gotten into BAMM when my co workers told me.

BAMM up 20% today, What a ride. I'm not in it.

Did get back in PYX this morning after reading Morgan Stanley took a passive 5% stake in the company.

Back