• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

Ontario had its lowest unemployment rate in 27 years under Wynne. People were working, public services were flowing and the government was starting to congratulate people for doing much needed environmentally friendly things.

Wynne didn't get blown out because of policy -- she got blown out due to factors she couldn't control. Our families were better off under Wynne than the already are under Ford. Thousands of people have been laid off, programs have been shut down and the environment has become an afterthought.

there is the whole debt thing too. Wynne racked up a LOT of it.

A problem shared with Trudeau.

And Trudeau is doing it stupidly. Like the CCB is going to increase this year, costing billions. Yet for the everyday Canadian, its a increase of 12-30 dollars per kid per month.

Who is going to change their vote for 12-100 bucks a month?

In 2015 Trudeau was very upfront that he was going to spend to improve public services and infrastructure.

The CCB has been extremely effective. Poverty is a an issue that has been ignored for centuries.

Last edited:

IMO Jobs (lowest unemployment rate in 27 years), health (lowest wait times in history), education (free education for families making under 50K) and the environment are more important.

The debt is buzz word used by right wingers, when they have been in fact some of the worst at spending (i.e Harper). You can effectively use tax money (i.e the Child Benefit, public institutions and environmental incentives.)

Ontario's spending has gone up under Ford because of shifting priorities (Subways in Toronto), while cutting essential and important things like Education and Social Services.

Last edited:
In 2015 Trudeau was very upfront that he was going to spend to improve public services and infrastructure.

The CCB has been extremely effective. Poverty is a an issue that has been ignored for centuries.

Who is going to change their vote to liberal for a extra 20 bucks a month?

I like the base CCB, I'm bringing in about 380 bucks a month, but am I going to vote liberal for 400 bucks a month?

Sorry, I am talking about the benefits and outcomes of policy decisions. Odds are the CCB gets axed under a right wing government. Nothing related to votes.

I apologize if there was some confusion.

He campaigned on a return to a balanced budget by 2019 and reducing the debt-gdp ratio to 27%. Both of which, looking back, were absolutely laughable. Interesting definition you have of "upfront".

And I don't really care about the debt (within reason) as long a a good chunk of it is dedicated to infrastructure. Build things the make our economy efficient and lives better. And bring on the subway. This city is drowning in gridlock.

In terms of what politicians say, he was upfront that a big part of his platform was to spend. This is now Scheer's election to lose at this point. The Conservatives are in pretty good shape polls wise -- I just don't think the outlier polls are quite telling the whole story yet.

Canada was Conservative/Right Wing 16 of the last 21 years and seems ready to go back to it already. They are doing a much better job owning and using the populist message.

Last edited:
Someone in Kenora likely doesn't care about the subway in Toronto or the LRT in Ottawa, but with the federal infrastructure bank projects in Kenora should be approved as well.

But that infrastructure spending isn't really flowing as it should, while program spending is up, which is leading to these deficits. And it doesn't really need to be that way. Consider that for the first 11 months of the government had a 6.3 billion dollar surplus. Balancing off of that shouldn't be that hard. The fact that the government is bringing in more money than ever before barely making a dent in their year over year deficit leave me, and I assume many others, concerned that this a structural deficit. If/when the global economy stalls Canada isn't in the best spot to deal with it. No western nation really is to be fair, but it would be nice to aim for better than "at least we have good company as we go down"

In terms of what politicians say, he was upfront that a big part of his platform was to spend. This is now Scheer's election to lose at this point. The Conservatives are in pretty good shape polls wise -- I just don't think the outlier polls are quite telling the whole story yet.

Canada was Conservative/Right Wing 16 of the last 21 years and seems ready to go back to it already. They are doing a much better job owning and using the populist message.

More like the Trudeau government is doing it's best job tripping over their own feet.

That and the economy is weak, especially compared to the USA. Turn of the year it was Trudeau's election to lose and he's doing his best to lose it.

Canada was Conservative/Right Wing 16 of the last 21 years and seems ready to go back to it already. /QUOTE]

not really.

it's just that the left is split between two parties.

when the conservatives were split between two parties, they got massacred.

More like the Trudeau government is doing it's best job tripping over their own feet.

That and the economy is weak, especially compared to the USA. Turn of the year it was Trudeau's election to lose and he's doing his best to lose it.

Now it's Scheer's to lose. The cons are doing well in many polls

Now it's Scheer's to lose. The cons are doing well in many polls
So are the bloc, so are the greens, the NDP have stopped their bleeding, the liberal vote has scattered to the winds.

Nobody want to vote in Scheer, at this point people want to vote out Trudeau.

But going into the official campaign it is Scheers election to lose.

You should be more pumped that your guy is in the lead. You don't need to start getting defensive. Own it. It's fine. People have certain values.

Greens won the byelection in Nanaimo last night, doubling their representation in the house.

Was an NDP incumbent, riding normally alternated between Cons and NDP. Libs finished a weak fourth, Cons second. NDP lost support too. ~ 7 in 10 votes cast for non-conservative candidates

It’s a fairly new riding an as far as I know it has been NDP until now.

Yeah, that's a tough blow for the NDP. Liberals lost a lot relative to 2015, but they're never otherwise been competitive in the riding or area. Even in 2015, the Libs only spent 20k on their campaign vs 130+ for each of the Greens/NDP/Cons

The main takeaway from it should be:
-The "Liberal wave" of 2015 is basically done, so definitely any close seats of theirs are going to be vulnerable.
-The NDP could be in real trouble if they bleed more to the Greens.

Good news for the cons if it keeps fracturing the left side of the vote. Of course, they still need to gain some votes to win even if the vote keeps splitting, and they didn't in the by-election (23.4 last election vs 24.8 yesterday).

So I'm wondering if Trudeau can pull off a grand lefty Coalition if we end up in a minority situation

Back