• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

The polls are starting shift back in the Libs favour. Nanos has them at 35% while the have the Cons at 30.

I mean, wonderful for Justin, but it's early summer. still lots of cookie to crumble before the election.

My impression is that you are a Liberal lifer, is that correct?

I just don't see the 'progressive' vote coalescing around Justin again this time to the extent it did in 2015. I'd be happy to be wrong, but my gut tells me the shine has worn off our dreamy new PM

This one?

andrew_scheer.jpg
[/QUOTE

What’s wrong with that picture? Am I missing something?

Ah come on Anne I know you snickered at Rajah Trudeau.

Canada's system seems to work. Whenever the provinces go to far one way the feds go the other way.

That being said, libs could still easily lose this one

The counter point to "vote splitting" imo is voting efficiency. Conservatives are ~55% in the prairies+Alberta+BC interior, and about 28% everywhere else. They'll run up the scoreboard in most of western canada and then get stomped out in Ontario and Quebec.

I mean, wonderful for Justin, but it's early summer. still lots of cookie to crumble before the election.

I just don't see the 'progressive' vote coalescing around Justin again this time to the extent it did in 2015. I'd be happy to be wrong, but my gut tells me the shine has worn off our dreamy new PM

Probably true that Justin has lost some of his “shine” but I’ll likely vote for him anyway to avoid Scheer.

Probably true that Justin has lost some of his “shine” but I’ll likely vote for him anyway to avoid Scheer.
Also not like the NDP have been able to capture any traction yet. Greens will gain a lot in the polling, but they have a long way to go to even be competitive in more than a handful of ridings.

If trudeau is smart he also lets bernier join the debates.

PPC is polling at 3 percent, if bernier isnable to get any more traction its coming from the CPC. Vote split cuts both ways.

That said, if trudeau is smart.

A new mainstreet poll has the Liberals up 35-32 over the Cons, so that Nanos poll isn't really an outlier anymore. But the most eye catching number of the bunch is that the Liberals are up to 41.6% in Ontario. The Conservatives might sit within striking distance when you look at the national numbers, but their support is really, really inefficient. They're at about 55% in the middle of the country (5 ridings of interior BC to southern sask/manitoba....by far the least populated) and about 27% everywhere else.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/07/09/as-...-retake-the-lead-from-tories-mainstreet-poll/

SNC wearing off I wonder. I don't think Scheer is any more known or unknown.

Maybe the Ford effect.

SNC wearing off I wonder. I don't think Scheer is any more known or unknown.

Maybe the Ford effect.
Ford is definitely having an effect, particularly in Ontario.

As for SNC, despite the best efforts of JWR & Philpott, it never seemed like a meaty enough scandal to capture the public's imagination.

Controversies where the government's personally enriching themselves or their friends/party in a shady way off the public purse are a lot easier to get to stick.

I voted for the NDP last provincial election. I'm not right-wing so I won't vote conservative.

@OPSEUSmokey
.@fordnation handed the #LCBO to a Conservative Party bagman who lacks relevant experience & now we’ve got widespread alcohol shortages at one of the busiest times of year. This is yet another scandal the premier needs to get out in front of.

John Bowker @bowker_john
1d
Fun fact: Ford’s LCBO chair is one of the developers who is fighting the City of Toronto in opposition to Rail Deck Park. Last year he chaired an invitation-only “Development Industry Symposium” attended by developers and PC cabinet ministers ontariopc.ca/0526_18nr #onpoli

It's utterly unsurprising that Dougie's used his position as Premier to reward as many of his unqualified buddies and cronies as possible with high paying government jobs.

That's just who he is to the core. A greasy, sleazy con-man. I will admit to being surprised at how utterly spineless his caucus is in standing up to him, though.

This isn't even like the last Federal election, where a lot of Liberal MP's owed their jobs to hitching themselves to Trudeau's personal brand. The PC's could have run a cardboard cut-out as their leader in the last election with how much the electorate wanted to get rid of Wynne and still didn't trust the NDP. After all, they were cruising along in majority territory with Brown as their leader too.

It's not like Ford's widely supported by the rank-and-file membership either. He lost the popular vote in their leadership contest, and squeaked out a win on a technicality by the slimmest of margins. Yet the same caucus that got the knives out for Brown and dispatched him in a single evening sits back (or stands and applauds, rather) and supports Ford through all this.

Dougie is the type of premier who makes a party unelectable for a generation after hes gone

This is an order of magnitude worse than Harris and the liberals had to collapse under a couple of decades worth of incompetence and political corruption to give up the big chair.

@DavidHains
Findings from the latest Corbett Communications poll, as reported by the Star:

*Premier Doug Ford's net approval rating is a dismal -49 (20/69)
*Almost 60 per cent of Ontarians polled believe the Ford government is corrupt

This is a situation where people wanted change (despite the economy doing really well under the previous government), but simply forgot the conservative motto (or didn't know) of "cut and burn" and " do everything to own the Libs - even if it hurts the most vulnerable." There are a generation of provincial voters that only new on party and forgot to read about the ideology of the all the parties.

Buyers remorse has already set in. This is supposed to Ford's "honeymoon" time. A new government should never be this unpopular already.

Last edited:
It's utterly unsurprising that Dougie's used his position as Premier to reward as many of his unqualified buddies and cronies as possible with high paying government jobs.

That's just who he is to the core. A greasy, sleazy con-man. I will admit to being surprised at how utterly spineless his caucus is in standing up to him, though.

This isn't even like the last Federal election, where a lot of Liberal MP's owed their jobs to hitching themselves to Trudeau's personal brand. The PC's could have run a cardboard cut-out as their leader in the last election with how much the electorate wanted to get rid of Wynne and still didn't trust the NDP. After all, they were cruising along in majority territory with Brown as their leader too.

It's not like Ford's widely supported by the rank-and-file membership either. He lost the popular vote in their leadership contest, and squeaked out a win on a technicality by the slimmest of margins. Yet the same caucus that got the knives out for Brown and dispatched him in a single evening sits back (or stands and applauds, rather) and supports Ford through all this.

They were polling higher with Brown. The PC's were never losing that election.

Back