• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Honestly, while the Ducks have indeed been a mess, I'm not convinced Carlyle has anything to do with that. Their roster is a jumbled up wreck and without Perry their forward lines are all out of whack. Plus, they've seemingly run out of the Burke and early Murray era pipeline of gritty guys that always gave their depth lines so much oomph ... and Carlyle is a coach that really needs that oomph to make his systems work. For awhile there, the league was literally littered with gritty former Ducks that they shed as soon as they needed an actual contract because all of their budget was locked in to pay Getzlaf, Perry and a small handful of other guys. You can only do that for so long without it biting you in the butt.

I mean, yeah ... dumping Carlyle for a coach who can move them to a more boring trap-based system would probably improve the Ducks in the short run, but the bigger issues aren't going anywhere. Murray is the one that needs to go. They're well overdue for a major shakeup.

After his sterling performance against the Canes yesterday, Nashville has placed PDG on waivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After his sterling performance against the Canes yesterday, Nashville has placed PDG on waivers.

Meant to mention before ... it'll interesting if the Canes even bother to pick PDG back up on waivers. A lot of people seem to assume they will, but .... I mean. Why?

Meant to mention before ... it'll interesting if the Canes even bother to pick PDG back up on waivers. A lot of people seem to assume they will, but .... I mean. Why?

It would save the Canes somewhere around $350k if they do NOT re-claim PDG. That is one way to save a buck.

I agree with you JB, why even spend the $350k remaining on his salary this year to bring PDG back at this point? That said, I think that Roddie likes him and the Canes were surprised he was claimed off of waivers, so I expect he will be claimed by the Canes and be assigned to Charlotte. Zykov on the other hand I could see the Canes walking away from now if/when he ends up back on waivers. .

Why, exactly.

Waive Rask next. Although his stupid contract will net similar results to Darling.

You're right. Nobody's claiming Rask. You waive that guy to park him in Charlotte or to send a message. This front office as never been the message sending kind, at least not thus far. And if you park him in Charlotte you'd have to bring up a center. I guess that can play that game when Staal is finally cleared to play ... if they want to.

Rask seems like the kind of guy that could go elsewhere and have a career resurgence. The only problem is no one will take that gamble on him due to remaining length and balance of the contract.

I hope so for both of our sakes (his resurrection somewhere else). Sometimes I wonder though if he has ever gotten fully over (mental and/or physically) that shoulder injury/surgery. When he goes to finish a check on the boards he really goes to extremes to not be physical with his shoulders. He was never a big hitter but now pales in comparison to how even he used to play.
Rask seems like the kind of guy that could go elsewhere and have a career resurgence. The only problem is no one will take that gamble on him due to remaining length and balance of the contract.

At one time I thought he'd make a solid #2 center. At least. Boy was I wrong.

I mean, at one point he WAS a decent No 2 center. In 15-16 he had nearly 50 points and better than 20 goals. That contract he signed was a stretch, but not THAT much of a stretch. And then he had the shoulder problem and he's never been the same player ... or really anything like that player. I have no doubt that a huge chunk of his problems are mental, but again ... that contract makes a change of scenery deal a non-starter and I'm not sure what else the club can do with the guy.

Rask's contract doesn't have to get in the way of a trade.

If the Canes elect to buy out Rask after this season they would owe him and take a cap hit for $1.33 million over 6 years. Considering that we almost certainly have to buy Darling out this summer, that might be too much for Dundon and crew to stomach (Semin's $2.33 million in pay and cap hit also lives on for 2 more seasons after this one).

If the Canes decide that Rask is just never going to have value again for our team (and given what we have seen, that is probably a fair assessment), simply eating 50% of his salary/cap hit brings him down to a $2 million per year player. I suspect there are plenty of NHL teams that would be willing to give him a chance at that price point. The Canes still eat $6 million over the last 3 years of his contract, but that beats paying him $12 million instead or $8 million in a buyout. Heck the other team could decide to buy him out of the 3 years and $6 million they would be taking on (that would only be $667k cap hit and salary over 6 years) if the Canes make it worth their while.

The easiest thing to do though is buy the guy out. Clean break, no additional assets being traded anywhere, no crap contracts coming back. But he is tradeable if the Canes eat some salary and get creative.

Adios Phil. He cleared waivers. Off to Milwaukee for him I suppose.

Hypothetically, would it be possible for Rask to clear waivers and have that career resurgence in Charlotte?

I mean, at one point he WAS a decent No 2 center. In 15-16 he had nearly 50 points and better than 20 goals. That contract he signed was a stretch, but not THAT much of a stretch. And then he had the shoulder problem and he's never been the same player ... or really anything like that player. I have no doubt that a huge chunk of his problems are mental, but again ... that contract makes a change of scenery deal a non-starter and I'm not sure what else the club can do with the guy.

And in 16-17, he and Stempniak carried the team for the first month. He had 4g, 6a in October, 4 more goals by Thanksgiving and then only 8 more the rest of the year, finishing with 16g, 29a

And in 16-17, he and Stempniak carried the team for the first month. He had 4g, 6a in October, 4 more goals by Thanksgiving and then only 8 more the rest of the year, finishing with 16g, 29a

Yeah. IIRC that was directly tied to a wrist injury (that may have been aggravated several times as he played through it), and the following season he hit a wall and then had the shoulder problem. Remember, just last summer most Canes fans were hopeful that a coaching change and a return to health would give Rask a fresh start. Yeah. That knife accident in camp and whatever the heck he's been doing skating around out there this season put the kibosh on that. Carolina took two huge risks on reclamation projects on players that they kept from the last regime ... Rask and Darling. Both of them crapped out. Hard.

Yeah. IIRC that was directly tied to a wrist injury (that may have been aggravated several times as he played through it), and the following season he hit a wall and then had the shoulder problem. Remember, just last summer most Canes fans were hopeful that a coaching change and a return to health would give Rask a fresh start. Yeah. That knife accident in camp and whatever the heck he's been doing skating around out there this season put the kibosh on that. Carolina took two huge risks on reclamation projects on players that they kept from the last regime ... Rask and Darling. Both of them crapped out. Hard.

Back