• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

Fine, then have a corporate cuddle fest before the season where all the top stars come in for a big cocktail party and banquet with the corporate partners. Just get rid of the charade of the on ice activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine, then have a corporate cuddle fest before the season where all the top stars come in for a big cocktail party and banquet with the corporate partners. Just get rid of the charade of the on ice activities.

Honestly, if they're going to change the structure of the All Star game ... again - check out the history of the stupid thing if you want a laugh ... maybe they should move it right after the Christmas break. That would give the rank and file a little more of a break at the Holidays and take some of the pressure off of the timing. Get it in BEFORE the NFL playoffs instead of after. I dunno. Just spit-balling here.

In funny news the Tampa Rays are going to close their upper deck this season , sounds familiar? They have been trying to get a new stadium for a long time , theirs is not old but it's bad. The Lightning played in that dome for 1 season. And Karmanos bid to get the Tampa franchise but obviously he was not picked. The Esposito brothers got the franchise instead.

Coyotes center Nick Schmaltz is out for the season with a lower body injury. They just got him from Chicago at Thanksgiving.

If and when he hits the crease, McKenna will be their SEVENTH goaltender of the season. I mean ... let that soak in. 7

Supposedly, he’s starting tonight. That ties the 89-90 Nordiques for most goalies used in a season. Flyers interim head coach Scott Gordon was one of the 7 goalies the Nords used, playing 10 games.

Supposedly, he’s starting tonight. That ties the 89-90 Nordiques for most goalies used in a season. Flyers interim head coach Scott Gordon was one of the 7 goalies the Nords used, playing 10 games.

Hockey is SUCH a small world sometimes.

I'm sort of wondering who exactly is going to sign Bobs in the offseason and how much he will actually get paid. His play this year hasn't exactly improved his value. Whatever this incident was about won't help his value either.

Who would throw a boatload of money at this guy? Philly?

Yeah ... just a reminder, both Goalie Bob and Panarin are pretty publicly on the outs in Columbus, pending some sort of shift. Management isn't happy with either player and both are UFAs at a reasonably young age this summer ... 30 and 27 respectively. Speculation runs towards Panarin eventually getting signed but Bob is 90% in the wind. And CM is right to speculate about his eventual contract. He'll get signed for sure ... but he's sitting on $7.5 million a year right now and will certainly be looking for more than that in his last shot at a big deal. He's been good enough in the regular season in his career, but has a history of struggling in the playoffs.

He's also a damned site better than what we've got, before anybody around here goes looking down their nose at the guy.

Last edited:
In his media column on The Athletic, Richard Deitsch notes that Fox has pulled out of the bidding to buy back the regional sports networks sold to Disney. Disney was hoping to raise $20 billion for the 22 RSNs.

The article from AdAge indicates that Sinclair Broadcasting my be the last viable bidder. It also notes, however, that Amazon and the New York Yankees may be teaming up to purchase the YES Network separately from the others.

https://adage.com/article/media/fox-buy-back/316223/

In his media column on The Athletic, Richard Deitsch notes that Fox has pulled out of the bidding to buy back the regional sports networks sold to Disney. Disney was hoping to raise $20 billion for the 22 RSNs.

The article from AdAge indicates that Sinclair Broadcasting my be the last viable bidder. It also notes, however, that Amazon and the New York Yankees may be teaming up to purchase the YES Network separately from the others.

https://adage.com/article/media/fox-buy-back/316223/

That is NOT good news for the NHL regional TV contracts. Sinclair is a freaking joke.

Stars acquire Andrew Cogliano from Anaheim for Devin Shore.

Stars acquire Andrew Cogliano from Anaheim for Devin Shore.

The Ducks have been a mess. I wonder how long Randy Carlyle lasts now that he was given the kiss of death approval over the weekend by Bob Murray..."we will not be firing our coach"...

Back