• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Miscellaneous News Thread

And about a... $24 million dollar signing bonus.

That's included in the cap hit humbers I listed above.

His total compensation is $41.77 million over six years, of which $24.3 million is in the form of bonuses, the balance of which is in salary.

No Player Safety hearing for Wilson. So beyond whatever the match penalty carries, he won’t be suspended.

That is a very strange reaction from the league. The only good spin I can put on that is maybe they are waiting for a more clear violation from Wilson so they can throw the book at him and be more sure it will get by the PA and an arbitrator, and maybe they are going to tweak the rule. However, the puck had clearly gone and it was clearly interference. Player Safety has suspended folks plenty of time just on interference where there’s an injury. It dumbfounds me why Player Safety is so unwilling to punish players for bad hits that, by sheer luck, did not cause a life-altering head injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The consensus appears to be that it was a shoulder to shoulder hit, not a head hit, and everyone, from the referee who bounced him to all of us, overreacted because it’s Wilson. Seney played 4 shifts in the 3rd after that hit too.

About the only good thing Wilson could say about the hit isn't it wasn't a shot to the head. That doesn't explain how it was very late and directly to the back of an unsuspecting player. That was not a hockey play and the league is garbage for not enforcing some type of supplemental punishment. The factor that is was Wilson SHOULD be considered.

The consensus appears to be that it was a shoulder to shoulder hit, not a head hit, and everyone, from the referee who bounced him to all of us, overreacted because it’s Wilson. Seney played 4 shifts in the 3rd after that hit too.

The fact that he keeps injuring guys is absolutely no accident. Somebody's going to sue his ass sooner or later.

The fact that he keeps injuring guys is absolutely no accident. Somebody's going to sue his ass sooner or later.

It’s hard for the league to claim that Seney was injured when he played 4 shifts after being run over.

It’s hard for the league to claim that Seney was injured when he played 4 shifts after being run over.

What part about this being a prediction (ie, something that will happen LATER ... in the future ... at some point further down the road) are you not getting? I'm NOT arguing the case for a heavy suspension for that one hit. That would be dumb. I am arguing that the course of Wilson's career represents a clear and predictable arc and that the league is negligent if they do nothing to correct its trajectory. If Wilson doesn't change (and why would anyone think he even wants to?) then this is going to end in much worse than tears.

Last edited:
One other note ... this is officially a horrible time to be making the California swing. Shut out in LA and now headed to San Jose and then Anaheim? That's a really rough stretch even if you're playing well, and on offense at least ... that's not where this team is right now.

What part about this being a prediction (ie, something that will happen LATER ... in the future ... at some point further down the road) are you not getting? I'm NOT arguing the case for a heavy suspension for that one hit. That would be dumb. I am arguing that the course of Wilson's career represents a clear and predictable arc and that the league is negligent if they do nothing to correct its trajectory. If Wilson doesn't change (and why would anyone think he even wants to?) then this is going to end in much worse than tears.

I didn’t take it as a prediction because it was tagged onto my comment about no hearing for his hit on Seney. The league tried to send a message with his last suspension...20 games is pretty hefty, a big escalation over his previous suspensions, only to see a proven dumbass arbitrator reduce it. When he does injure someone, and I agree with you that it will happen, he’ll be looking at a minimum of half a season.

Interesting to me that the Pens were able to trade Daniel Sprong for something (to Anaheim for Dman Marcus Pettersson) today while we basically are rolling the dice that Valentin Zykov will end up back with us if he is unable to stick in Edmonton (at least to start, he might get grabbed by another NHL team should it not work out there and the Oilers re-waive him).

I didn’t take it as a prediction because it was tagged onto my comment about no hearing for his hit on Seney. The league tried to send a message with his last suspension...20 games is pretty hefty, a big escalation over his previous suspensions, only to see a proven dumbass arbitrator reduce it. When he does injure someone, and I agree with you that it will happen, he’ll be looking at a minimum of half a season.

No worries. You know me ... it's always big picture crap, because I can't be bothered to remember the details :0)

@drosennhl: Salary cap projection for next season is $83 million, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. Cap this season is $79.5 million. It’s a rough number for next season and can change to go up or down slightly, but the League has been good with these projections in the past.

Congrats to Seattle and congrats to the NHL owners who have another chunk of change coming their way.

2021 is too far away to start taking about protection lists so no short term worries there.

In other news, apparently there is concern that Ottawa might not be getting their new downtown arena. Expect to start to hear some rumblings about the Ottawa franchise potentially being moved.

Seattle represents a return to the last winner of the pre-NHL Stanley Cup. Boy, it took awhile to get back, but the NHL returns to all of its old haunts eventually ... provided they don't burn down of course. Looking at you, Cleveland and Kansas City. Maybe we'll even get those Hampton Roads Rhinos one day ... probably not. Houston though, does seem inevitable at this point. Just a matter of time.

Seattle represents a return to the last winner of the pre-NHL Stanley Cup. Boy, it took awhile to get back, but the NHL returns to all of its old haunts eventually ... provided they don't burn down of course. Looking at you, Cleveland and Kansas City. Maybe we'll even get those Hampton Roads Rhinos one day ... probably not. Houston though, does seem inevitable at this point. Just a matter of time.

Bettman says they’re done and 32 teams makes too much sense so I’ll take him at his word. Houston hasn’t really been in the mix for an expansion team. Maybe it’s because the AHL left town 5 years ago and nobody missed them, but Kansas City has a white elephant arena that has already hosted NHL exhibition games. And the arena is managed by AEG, which manages the Staples Center in LA too. But the next expansion (if there is one) should come in geographic pairs. If Ottawa relocates (to Quebec City?) there really aren’t any more viable Eastern time zone cities, unless Hamilton jumps in.

Houston is, for now, the Arizona arena situation escape clause, is it not? Look ma, fits in the Central Division and everything!

Back