• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Prospect and Calder Cup Winning Charlotte Checkers Thread

Re: 2018-19 Canes Prospect and Cherkers Thread

Cheeky little behind the back pass from Necas on the game winner. From what I hear his offensive game is really starting to perk up.

Checkers this past week:

Dec 7 @Hartford W 7-4 Darling with the win. Carrick, McKegg, Roy, Poturalski, Kuokkanen x2 and Schilkey with the goals. Roy had 3 assists, Necas had 4
Dec 8 @Springfield W 5-4 (OT) Helvig with the Win. Bean, Carrick (Game winner), Poturalski and Schilkey x2 with the goals. Checkers were down by 2 at 17:52 after a short handed empty net goal by Springfield. Bean's goal came at 19:04, Poturalski's at 19:28. Necas had 3 assists. I don't exactly know if Darling was dinged or not or the Canes realized that they needed a healthy Darling for this week at the NHL level. But what an amazing comeback.

3 Home games this week, Thu and Sat vs. Hartford, Sun vs Utica.

Checkers have opened up a big lead in their division now. Kuokkanen is 8th in the AHL in points, Poturalski is 13th.

Last edited:

Canes draft picks and prospect stats through 12/9/2018
=======================================

Jack Drury C (2nd round 2018 ECAC Harvard Fr.) 11 Games 4 Goals 8 Assists +7

Luke Henman C (4th round 2018 QMJHL Blainville-Boisbriand) 28 Games 7 Goals 13 Assists +5

Lenni Killinen RW (4th round 2018 Liiga Assat) 16 Games 1 Goal 3 Assists Even

Jesper Sellgren LHD (6th round 2018 SweHL Lulea) 24 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists +3

Eetu Luostarinen C (2nd round 2017 Liiga KalPa): 27 Games 7 Goals 8 Assists -1

Luke Martin RHD (2nd round 2017 Michigan Jr.): 17 Games 0 Goals 3 Assists -3

Stelio Mattheos RW (3rd round 2017 WHL Brandon): 29 Games 23 Goals 20 Assists +10

Brendan De Jong LHD (6th round 2017 WHL Portland): 28 Games 4 Goals 12 Assists Even

Ville Rasanen LHD (7th round 2017 USHL Lincoln/Chicago):
With Lincoln 8 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even
With Chicago 7 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even

Adam Fox RHD (trade ECAC Harvard Jr.): 11 Games 5 Goals 15 Assists +5

Matt Filipe LW (3rd round 2016 Hockey East Northeastern Jr.): 12 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists +4

Max Zimmer LW (4th round 2016 Big 10 Wisconsin Jr.): 18 Games 4 Goals 6 Assists +2

Luke Stevens LW (5th round 2015 ECAC Yale Jr.): 10 Games 3 Goals 0 Assists Even

David Cotton C (6th round 2015 Hockey East Boston College Jr.): 14 Games 11 Goals 7 Assists +6

Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 USHL Des Moines/Omaha):
With Des Moines 1-0-0 5.00 GAA .815 Sv%
With Omaha 2-2-1 3.70 GAA .871 Sv%

Eetu Makiniemi G (4th round 2017 Mestis Kiekko-Vanta/Lliga Jr A. Jokerit):

With Jokerit: Record unknown 1 Game 9.00 GAA .735 Sv%
With Kiekko-Vanta: Record unknown 4 Games 2.50 GAA .922 Sv%

Jack LaFontaine G (3rd round 2016 BCHL Penticton): 15-7-1 2.30 GAA .912 Sv%

Luostarinen has been centering their top line with former East Coast Eagle Kai Kantola on his RW. Luostarinen is tied for 2nd in goals and 3rd in points.

Checkers were down by 2 at 17:52 after a short handed empty next goal by Springfield.

So basically, they'd pulled Helvig, allowed a shorty, and instead of letting that demoralize them came back to tie it with 32 seconds left and win in OT? Sounds pretty nifty.

After probably 90% of the fans had left the arena, I imagine. Kinda sucks when that happens.

After probably 90% of the fans had left the arena, I imagine. Kinda sucks when that happens.

Reason #1 why I never leave a sporting event early: You never know what you may miss.

Reason #1 why I never leave a sporting event early: You never know what you may miss.

2006 playoffs, 2nd round, game 2. Scott Gomez scored at 19:39 of the 3rd to put the Devils ahead 2-1, Staal scored 18 seconds later to tie it. The Secret Weapon won it in OT.

2006 playoffs, 2nd round, game 2. Scott Gomez scored at 19:39 of the 3rd to put the Devils ahead 2-1, Staal scored 18 seconds later to tie it. The Secret Weapon won it in OT.

I gotta call "False Equivalency" on that one! Anyone who would leave a one-goal playoff game isn't a fan to begin with.

Sara Civian (the Canes Athletic beat writer) had a blurb in her 'way too early expansion draft predictions' article yesterday when discussing Adam Fox:

"After talking to him last week, I’ve never been so confident that he’ll actually end up signing with the Hurricanes — more on that Tuesday."

Her follow-up article on Fox just posted about 10 minutes ago if you have a subscription. Basically the gist of it that Fox specifically said he has no plan to force his way on to the NY Rangers and his goal is to get to the NHL as soon as possible. Then a lot of other stuff showing the Canes making a full court press (ie Gleason at many of his games).

If we believe this kid, once Harvard's season is over, its quite possible that if we offer him what amounts pretty much to a max entry level deal and possibly allow him to burn his first entry level deal season this year, he might be willing to sign with us.

One thing we haven't really talked about with Necas, if the Canes don't allow Necas to reach the 10 NHL game mark this season and he plays out the rest of the year in Charlotte, since he signed his entry level deal as an 18 year old, it actually is eligible to 'slide', meaning that he will still have 3 years with his entry level deal in place.

I don't know if that in any way is entering the Canes thought process, but after Necas looked really shaky and unsure out there at the beginning of the season I would have to think the Canes factored that into their decision to get him to the minors after only 7 NHL games.

Sara Civian (the Canes Athletic beat writer) had a blurb in her 'way too early expansion draft predictions' article yesterday when discussing Adam Fox:

"After talking to him last week, I’ve never been so confident that he’ll actually end up signing with the Hurricanes — more on that Tuesday."

Her follow-up article on Fox just posted about 10 minutes ago if you have a subscription. Basically the gist of it that Fox specifically said he has no plan to force his way on to the NY Rangers and his goal is to get to the NHL as soon as possible. Then a lot of other stuff showing the Canes making a full court press (ie Gleason at many of his games).

If we believe this kid, once Harvard's season is over, its quite possible that if we offer him what amounts pretty much to a max entry level deal and possibly allow him to burn his first entry level deal season this year, he might be willing to sign with us.

And, since it looks highly unlikely that the Canes will be anything other than outside contenders for a playoff spot, they can promise him NHL time straight away. And honestly, while I've tried not to get my hopes up with Fox, I've seen him play a couple of times and I'm not sure that's even a stretch. He's almost certainly not ready to play actual defense at the NHL level, but he's absolutely ready in every other regard. He is head and shoulders above the guys he's playing with. Like almost comedically so.

One thing we haven't really talked about with Necas, if the Canes don't allow Necas to reach the 10 NHL game mark this season and he plays out the rest of the year in Charlotte, since he signed his entry level deal as an 18 year old, it actually is eligible to 'slide', meaning that he will still have 3 years with his entry level deal in place.

I don't know if that in any way is entering the Canes thought process, but after Necas looked really shaky and unsure out there at the beginning of the season I would have to think the Canes factored that into their decision to get him to the minors after only 7 NHL games.

Yeah. I'd think you'd want to at least keep that option open, at least in terms of the timing of when they sent him down. He was clearly in over his head, so why not send him to the A before his clock starts ticking. Then sort the rest out later. FWIW, I've heard some chatter that the Canes might actually allow Necas to play in the World Juniors again. If they do that it's a pretty clear sign that they aren't looking to bring him back to the big club until maybe late in the season. I'm not sure how I feel about that, in terms of the big picture, but in general I'd rather be gentle with this one. The team NEEDS him to be good, even if it's not at center, so this year is delicate in terms of development. Push it too hard and you risk stunting him. We don't need that.

My guess on the Fox piece is that the Canes are confident they can sign him because they know what he wants, believe he is being straight with them, and are willing to give it to him. Basically, they are going to call his bluff. Would not be surprised at all to see him on the big club either end of this year or beginning of next year. Flipside is that if the Canes offer him a max entry deal and a spot on the roster next year and he turns it down, then I suspect he'll get dealt for Cliff Pu 2.0.

Honestly, he was leavening in a bigger deal, so that wouldn't be the end of the world. I mean, get somebody better than Cliff Freaking Pu, but still ....

The Skinner trade really irks me to this day.... Unbelievable..

My gut tells me when they made Faulk a Co Captain and Skinner an Alternate Captain, it set off a potty feud and Skinner coasted the whole year. Either trade Faulk or Skinner was my guess. Brindy had a birds eye view and we got Pu.

The Skinner trade really irks me to this day.... Unbelievable..

My gut tells me when they made Faulk a Co Captain and Skinner an Alternate Captain, it set off a potty feud and Skinner coasted the whole year. Either trade Faulk or Skinner was my guess. Brindy had a birds eye view and we got Pu.

Honestly, I've never heard a single whiff (see what I did there) of that. Both Faulk and Skinner loathed Peters and played like it, but from what I understand they were fairly close off the ice.

My guess on the Fox piece is that the Canes are confident they can sign him because they know what he wants, believe he is being straight with them, and are willing to give it to him. Basically, they are going to call his bluff. Would not be surprised at all to see him on the big club either end of this year or beginning of next year. Flipside is that if the Canes offer him a max entry deal and a spot on the roster next year and he turns it down, then I suspect he'll get dealt for Cliff Pu 2.0.

For a team like the Canes that simply cannot seem to generate enough offense nightly, a guy like Fox anchoring the power play and creating offense with a solid first pass and breakout with his high end skill would be a welcome addition. Dougie Hamilton to me seems like the trade bait guy on D at some point this year, he just does not look like a good fit at all as a Cane...and he has been partnered with Jacob Frigging Slavin as his partner and still looks awful.

Back