• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

Anyone expecting Muzzin to be a "defensive rock" didn't watch him play out west. He's basically Jake Gardiner, but swap the puck carrying ability with physicality. A bunch of us were saying this before he played a game for us. He's a really good #2 (like our old Jake), and those guys all have warts. Either too small (Spurgeon, Ellis) too slow (McDonagh), dodgy defensively (Ghost, Pulock), brain cramp prone (Jakes, Montour, Miller) etc. Name a #30-60 defender in the league and they all have legit short comings.

He’s supposed to be pretty damn solid defensively, but there have been a concerning number of farts emanating from his brain. And as for physicality, there hasn’t been much.

He averages 2 hits per game. Over a full season that would put him top 20 for hit leaders

He is plenty physical

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We both know a hit could be credited for a lovetap.

Other than the first two games, do you recall even one rough play he initiated?

I'm not trying to nitpick. And I haven't said anything like he's been terrible or something to that effect. So you're taking it a bit far.

But I did say that I'm not impressed. There have been maybe a dozen plays in the defensive zone that I can recall so far where, if the other Jake had made them, commentary about "drunk Jake" would be nonstop around these parts. Muzzin was supposed to be the defensive rock. But so far I've seen him make a number of unforced errors that really don't jive with that job description. And aside from the first game or two where he was maybe playing on adrenaline and looked a little faster, a little smarter, and a lot more physical, none of that has really been on display since then. I don't feel like he's tried to throw his weight around at all lately, and seems to be chasing the puck a heck of a lot.

Leaves a lot to be desired. But like I said, it's early yet and I'm not drawing any conclusions on him at this time. But I hope he takes it up a gear or two and starts playing smarter and more punishing hockey back there.

I think the biggest problem with Muzzin thus far are your expectations.

Players like Lidstrom are the only d-men to play mistake free. Every other d-man is going to make their share of mistakes. Hell, look at guys like Burns and Karlsson, they get burned routinely. You're going to have to accept that Muzzin, and all our other D, make plenty of "unforced errors". In an ideal world, the mistakes are few.

Of course, you also need to accept that when you say things like "seems to be chasing the puck a heck of a lot", there are stats that can actually measure that, and may in fact prove that what your eyes have told you on this point is factually incorrect.

There’s a stat for how many times and for how long Jake Muzzin has personally chased the puck around the last several games?

Nobody’s asking or expecting mistake free hockey. But he’s been getting a pass because he’s the shiny new acquisition. People routinely go nuts over Gardiner’s mistakes here despite the fact that he’s otherwise great. Muzzin shouldn’t be immune to criticism or get the “nobody’s perfect” defense. He has to make better decisions, he has to throw his weight around more.

If he was chasing the puck around a lot, his possession numbers would be terrible. They're not. Your abject refusal to accept the basic facts the shot metrics are trying to tell you leads you to false conclusions.

Lines at Leafs practice:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Lindholm- [emoji238]-Brown
Ennis

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Holl-Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

#firethecock

Anyone expecting Muzzin to be a "defensive rock" didn't watch him play out west. He's basically Jake Gardiner, but swap the puck carrying ability with physicality. A bunch of us were saying this before he played a game for us. He's a really good #2 (like our old Jake), and those guys all have warts. Either too small (Spurgeon, Ellis) too slow (McDonagh), dodgy defensively (Ghost, Pulock), brain cramp prone (Jakes, Montour, Miller) etc. Name a #30-60 defender in the league and they all have legit short comings.
Anyone with jake gardiner as their number two dman isnt getting a sniff at the cup unless a patrick roy is your goalie or some goalie pulls a Tim Thomas for the playoffs.
Gardiner is a good second pairing dman who can function on the pp.
Defensively he is a disaster.
He can pass the puck better than 3 of the other leaf dmen, but that doesnt say much.
Also, everyone keeps getting on babcock about his usage of the defensive corp, but what about dubas .... why isnt he held more accountable for the defensive depth here.
Hainsey will be gone next season, gardiner will be gone and hopefully zaitsev will be gone.
Are you going to replace them with kids on the marlies who have no idea what it is like in the nhl?
Are any of these youngsters close reilly and his talent level cause he struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons.

Lines at Leafs practice:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Ennis

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Holl-Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

#firethecock

Ok I was wrong, enough of the hyman and marleau shit show.
Put hyman on with kadri, and put marleau on the forth or third line too.
Time to move up nylander and Johnson both.
Put Johnson on with marner and tavares, and move nylander to the off wing (or kapanan) to Matthew's line.
Enough.

Anyone with jake gardiner as their number two dman isnt getting a sniff at the cup unless a patrick roy is your goalie or some goalie pulls a Tim Thomas for the playoffs.

Pittsburgh won a cup with Dumolin as their #1, and Ron Hainsey as their #2. Vegas made the finals last season with Nate Schmidt (a poor man's version of Gardiner) as their #1 and Shea Theodore (a 22 yr old version of Jake Gardiner) as their #2.

Gardiner is a good second pairing dman who can function on the pp.
Defensively he is a disaster.

Why do people say stupid shit like this?

Also, everyone keeps getting on babcock about his usage of the defensive corp, but what about dubas .... why isnt he held more accountable for the defensive depth here.

Because in Dubas' first 8 months on the job he drafted a stud defensive prospect at the back of the 1st round and traded for Jake Muzzin?

Hainsey will be gone next season, gardiner will be gone and hopefully zaitsev will be gone.
Are you going to replace them with kids on the marlies who have no idea what it is like in the nhl?

Yes. But you're starting from Rielly-Muzzin-Dermott to rebuild the blueline with. Are we that concerned with losing our 5th and 6th best defenders? Gardiner is a loss yeah, but we've already replaced him with Muzzin.

Are any of these youngsters close reilly and his talent level cause he struggled mightily in his first 2 seasons.

Rielly didn't struggle his first two seasons. The team was complete shite, but he was quite good actually. Strong 5 on 5 production, good possession stats on a bad team, etc.

Lines at Leafs practice:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Ennis

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Holl-Ozhiganov

Andersen
Sparks

#firethecock

Lindholm ... Babcock's latest useless toy.

Who can Dubas realistically bring on to push Hainsey down the lineup?

Not sure Jensen or Gudas move the needle enough for Babs and Pesce or Hamilton are likely long shots at this point with the Canes making a push for the wildcard.

Sounds like the Wild could listen on Spurgeon but the price tag may be too rich after dealing for Muzzin

Who can Dubas realistically bring on to push Hainsey down the lineup?

Not sure Jensen or Gudas move the needle enough for Babs and Pesce or Hamilton are likely long shots at this point with the Canes making a push for the wildcard.

Sounds like the Wild could listen on Spurgeon but the price tag may be too rich after dealing for Muzzin

It would literally take getting a top pair RHD for this to happen.

Spurgeon would be amazing but that's not a trade we can make with futures.

Back