• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

If Kadri doesnt have an aneurysm that series this is not a conversation

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

There's no way you can say a goaltender with a sub .900 SV% kept you in the series. Maybe kept you from winning.

Freddy is the single biggest reason we're 0-2 in the 1st round over the last 2 years, bar none.

Remember this?

wilson-ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

That was an overtime winner.

Freddy was also a special level of shit in game 7 against the Bruins last year

[video=youtube;Btr5DznhtRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btr5DznhtRE[/video]

The 2nd and 3rd goals were bad, that tying goal Krug scored on the point shot was unforgiveably bad though and the 5 hole goal by Debrusk was almost as bad.

Yup. And I've always been a huge Freddie booster, but he hasn't been good enough. Hell, just slightly worse regular season Freddie wins us that series.

I guess we’re forgetting the games he absolutely stole in that series.

For me, his goaltending was a net even in that series. Insane in the games we won, not the best in the games we lost.

I still say Matthews was the biggest reason we lost. He didn’t show up. It was all Marner that kept us in it at all.

Matthews got shutdown but the best defensive center and best line in hockey

Nothing at all to do with not showing up

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Sorry, Bergeron missed one game.

In that game, Matty was held pointless and was a -2. In the other six games he mustered 2 points (just one goal).

Well the majority of people who could afford seats in the playoffs gave Freddy a standing O, in game six. The guy is a big man. And not just big like a Ken Dryden but sorta thick as well, Babcock overplayed both him and Hainsey.

Hainsey is still, still, a terrific player, but hey, he's older, but imo, better than say a Marleau. Guy has some talent. But playing him to the glue factory in the regular season?

Dumber than dumb imo. And same for Freddy.

Goaltending is huge. Get two number ones. And forget having the Kadri and Nylander maraschino cherries on the top of your ice cream. Man, if we didn't have a cap, we would be in great shape, like the recent past, but alas, we do.

Think of it, we are one of the top teams in the NHL, despite the NHL taking away our one huge advantage.

Can you imagine having a Dubas, Shanahan team with no cap? Wow. We would be Montreal of the 70's.

What are we even debating here? We lost that series for a bunch of pretty significant reasons.

Matthews wasn't productive enough.
Andersen sucked big time.
Kadri wasn't not suspended.

Take away any one of those and we probably win. Of course, Bruins could kind of do the same thing. Only reason we made it to 7 was because Rask was almost as bad as Andersen....almost.

I guess we’re forgetting the games he absolutely stole in that series.

Every game you're referring to, the Leafs scored 4 goals in. Stopping 35-40 shots in a game your team scores 4 is not stealing a game.

For me, his goaltending was a net even in that series. Insane in the games we won, not the best in the games we lost.

He was good in 3 games, but dreadful in 4. That's the thing with goaltending in the playoffs, you simply can't lose games for your team.

I still say Matthews was the biggest reason we lost.

We had a lead in the 3rd period of game 7 before Freddy starting leaking, Matthews or no Matthews. Freddy was embarrassingly bad in game 7, it just is what it is.

If you look at the shot charts for the series, without fail the worst shot locations that ended up goals were on Freddy

Game 1, Krejci scored from below the goal line and Pastrnak scored from 40 feet out, dead centre. The Leaf goal came from 7 feet out

Game 2, Kevin Millar scored from...yep, below the goal line again. The other 6 were all right in front, but they were 6 of 8 shots from in front of the net. The Leafs scored on 3 of their 6 shots from the same range, but from nowhere else.

Game 3, McQuaid scores on a 58 footer, with the worst Rask goal being a 20 foot Marleau wrist shot where the puck passed the royal road before the shot was created. Regardless, we're 3 games into the series with 4 really bad goals given up

Game 4, Marchand from the dot is forgiveable, and Debrusk about 15 feet out is also foregiveable. Torey Krug putting in a floater from 45 feet on the half boards is not. Another terrible goal. The Leafs again get their only goal on a high danger shot. Not a single bad goal given up by Boston goaltending yet, 5 by TOronto

Game 5, Leafs as is customary, pump 4 goals all from right in front of the net. Boston scores 3 with one of them being a 25 footer by Sean Kuraly.

Game 6, Leafs score 2 from their office....but again, Boston goaltending hasn't given up a truly bad goal yet in the series. Absolutely everything required the Leafs getting the puck in the highest danger zones of the ice. Freddy again gives up a goal from the half boards, to DeBrusk this time.

Game 7, **** me I don't even know where to start. Just on shot location alone 3 of the 6 are bad and one is fugly. Leafs finally get a goal from outside of high danger ice, this time a Travis Dermott wrister that hit a Bruin and goes bar and in.

So yeah, I don't care how many games Freddy "stole" if it isn't 4. The Leafs did what they were supposed to, get the puck to the front of the net and put them in at a decent rate. Freddy didn't do what he was supposed to though, at least 6-7 really bad goals in a 7 game series. We're talking about point shots with no screen, floaters from the half boards, unscreened wristers from 35 feet, etc. Shit, if Freddy just stops the 2 from below the goal line, and the 2 from the half boards, he finished the series with a ~.920ish SV%

Shit, just stop the Krug 60 footer with no screen and we probably win the series if you want to talk about "timely" goaltending.

What are we even debating here? We lost that series for a bunch of pretty significant reasons.

Matthews wasn't productive enough.
Andersen sucked big time.
Kadri wasn't not suspended.

Take away any one of those and we probably win. Of course, Bruins could kind of do the same thing. Only reason we made it to 7 was because Rask was almost as bad as Andersen....almost.

Rask wasn't good, but he didn't let in any single goal as hilariously bad at Freddy's worst 5-6. You can't win a playoff series letting in, on average, a laugher a game.

I don’t claim Freddy couldn’t have been better in a few of those games, but you can’t win that series with Matthews getting only one goal and one assist. He was invisible.

I don’t claim Freddy couldn’t have been better in a few of those games, but you can’t win that series with Matthews getting only one goal and one assist. He was invisible.

Sure you can. Don't give up a bunch of hilarious goals, especially the two that sunk us in the 3rd period of game 7. I'm not sure which part of this you're struggling with. The Leafs, despite Matthews being invisible, were up 4-3 in the 3rd period of game 7 before Freddy allowed a near 60 foot, unscreened point shot in, and then the winner was a knucklepuck through the pads on a rush that Gardiner handled poorly.

Stop both of those as he should have, and we win the series, regardless of what Matthews did or didn't do. So not only could the Leafs have won the series with Matthews not contributing, they were winning the series before playoff Freddy decided to shit the bed in the 3rd period, so yes, you absolutely can win that series without Matthews contributing.

Or maybe in Game 4, with Bergeron out and everyone expecting us to win, where we ultimately lost 3-1, Matty could’ve provided us with some offense? He steps up and takes ownership of that game, we probably cruise to a series win in six games. If you want to look at Freddy and say, oh well if he just made those saves, you should just as readily be willing to point a finger at Matty and say, oh well if he just scored a few goals.

At the end of the day if two of your best players, particularly #1 center and goalie, aren't productive in a series it's a tough hole to dig out of. They almost did it though.

Even Strength Points per 60min (minimum 100min)

1.Matthews 4.17
2.Kucherov 3.64
3.Panarin 3.58
4.Marner 3.48
5.Point 3.41

Even Strength Primary Points per 60min

1.Matthews 3.43
2.Marner 3.29
3.Point 3.12
4.Crosby 2.91
5.Tavares 2.88

Power Play Points Per 60 (minimum 50min)

1.Pastrnak 11.17
2.Kucherov 10.44
3.Bergeron 10.19
4.Matthews 9.59
5.Pionk 9.45

Power Play Primary Points per 60min

1.Matthews 9.59
2.Pastrnak 9.02
3.Pionk 8.66
4.Kucherov 7.35
5.Marchand 6.76

Kid is an absolute monster.