• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

Yeah, Babs is clearly going to prefer Lindholm to Gauthier for as long as he's here.

I suspect Babs had some say in getting us to sign Lindholm in the first place, while he just inherited Gauthier.

I didn't see the Tampa game, but we obviously dominated possession. How was Brown with Tavares and Marner? As critical as I've been of him, he seems to be playing well lately and from what little I've seen of that line, I almost thought he fit better than Hyman.

I enjoy the Athletic but once in a while they produce shit like this

Does he honestly believe anyone is risking paying Marner close to 17 million? They take the 4 1sts and walk away

0063a1fa584fc3aa64a2d8824a0ef261.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

They should offer sheet him for $100m.

Mitch isn’t going to **** up his chance to win a cup with his boyhood team by ****ing us over and signing something stupid like that. They can offer sheet all they like. They won’t get them to sign.

17 million a season, living in Phoenix, taxes are better .... he would sign in a minute.
No one would leave a 119 million dollar contract, especially marner ...... he isnt that stupid

where is Arizona getting the money from? did they stash their charity payments from the Leafs in a mattress?

all these top star guys want not only term and dollar but big money up front with bonuses. That's how the Leafs got Nylander at a cap hit they could live with. Matthews and Marner will also get huge dollars up front from the Leafs, who are lazily backstroking in oceans of profit.

I really don't think the Yotes have the cash the media are throwing around in fantasies about the Leafs getting screwed over(for them, would be the story of the century and a billion clicks)

Exactly. It drives me crazy that of all teams, it's the freaking Coyotees that people act liek they'll have no issue giving the biggest contract by far in NHL history. They cheat every year to reach the cap floor! They can't even afford to do that.
Forbes claims Coyotees will lose 50 million this season alone, and has more debt than the actual value of their franchise (over 300+ million in debt).
Coyotees don't have a pot to piss in.

Matthews "going Home" and Tavares doing that with the Leafs have zero connection. Tavares left a joke of an organization to join a contender that is rich. Matthews would be doing the exact opposite and the team could be in Houston soon.

Pure media driven fantasy.

Last edited:
Also why would anyone try to out financial muscle Toronto. Its pointless. They are going to match anything on Matthews/Marner. The one GM they actually had on record talking about this nonsense said no one has the balls to **** with the Leafs.

If you are trying to force someone's hand offer Aho or Tkachuck a max contract. Someone on a team without money.

Also why would anyone try to out financial muscle Toronto. Its pointless. They are going to match anything on Matthews/Marner. The one GM they actually had on record talking about this nonsense said no one has the balls to **** with the Leafs.

If you are trying to force someone's hand offer Aho or Tkachuck a max contract. Someone on a team without money.

But where is the fun in that narrative?

Leaf news pays the bills, regardless of the idiotic narrative.
Hurricane and Jets news about cap issues do not excite people.

But constantly bringing up the Coyotees able to simply cut a cheque for the biggest contract ever is stupid. They would need to find that $. They can't even get anymore loans or investers for that team.

Ironically, if arizona signs mitch to a contract like that and auston signs a massive one like the one proposed with a proponent being that he "goes home", those contracts likely doom the organisation and auston would likely have to "leave home" lol

I enjoy the Athletic but once in a while they produce shit like this

Does he honestly believe anyone is risking paying Marner close to 17 million? They take the 4 1sts and walk away

They did hire a bunch of old school types. Duhatschek only seems to get stupid when he writes about the Leafs though.

Moving the Coyotes to Houston would make sense. It's the 6th biggest city in North America, and the Dallas Stars have been a stable franchise for a long time.

As much as the NHL's fought to keep them in Phoenix, they need a new arena even more badly than the Sens do. Even so, every effort to get someone else to pay to build them one has failed so far. Eventually, if you can't make any headway and you're losing bucketfuls of money every year, a deep-pocketed owner in an even bigger city has to seem like the way to go.

From the NHL's perspective, it'd keep the team in the southern US and it doesn't upset divisional balance. Seattle would move into their spot in the Pacific division, and Houston would fill the empty spot in the Central division, alongside their new divisional rivals the Dallas Stars.

He really is a piece of work. The only possible explanation might be that they want to curry favour with his agent (whoever that might be).

Back