• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

The only way I could see it work is on a big one year deal. Like 1 year $7-8 mill. The Leafs just can't match that.

But Kappy has to want to leave Toronto for Carolina or something for a 1 year deal.

Last edited:
Also some team might try what the Sharks did with Hjalmarsson/Niemi. Offer Kappy or Johnson a reasonable multi year deal that caps out the Leafs, and then try and trade for the other one.

at least an offersheet on Kapanen is more plausible. they should have started out with that instead of the feeble Arizona-Matthews hot takes.

What no media talks about is no one will want to give up 4 1st rounders for Marner. That kills your organization. No team has ever in history given up 4.
Kapanen was always most likely, but none will occur.

Friedman already tried to spin Leafs signed Matthews because they were "Terrified" of an offersheet last week as some way to try to say he was right about offersheets.

Andreas Johnsson (leg) absent from Leafs practice

Lines:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Brown-Kadri-Nylander
Lindholm- Goat -Ennis

Offer sheets are a useless tool in a cap world. Since the cap there has only been one that wasn't matched, and only a handful that have even been signed.

When there is a cap no one can afford to overpay a player in both cap space and draft picks to steal them from another team. And if you can't overpay a player then it will always be matched, unless you sign a player that stinks like Penner.

cap hell is starting to get misapplied. It's not hell when your big salaries are guys who are good and fill the top roles on your roster.

Yeah cap hell is when you can't improve your team because of so many bad contracts. Not you have such a great cap situation that you were able to add Tavares and Muzzin in the past 6 months.

Also some team might try what the Sharks did with Hjalmarsson/Niemi. Offer Kappy or Johnson a reasonable multi year deal that caps out the Leafs, and then try and trade for the other one.
The thing is, again, like I've said before, offer sheet is only relevant if the players actually sign them.

The leafs are a young team that's on the rise, the players are similar in age, they are close and it's a good dressing room. Unless we get swept in round 1 of the playoff, these players have a lot to play for here. I just don't see how these guys would sign a reasonably priced (or even semi-crazy) offer sheet.

I have exactly zero offer sheet worries.

Kapanen isn’t going to be a dickhead. This guy loves it here and isn’t going anywhere unless he’s traded.

Feels like bizarro world oprah...look under your seats, you get an offer sheet and you get an offer sheet, you all get offer sheets!

Heard today that Dubas and co. are pushing hard for a RHD and also heavily shopping Nikita Zaitsev. Zaitsev could go in a deal for a forward

They’d probably deal him for nothing just to remove the salary and sign one of the kids.

I’m sure they’d prefer to do it more with Marleau, but they can’t absorb the angst that’d follow from Matty or the press hammering on them for dropping an HOFer.

Poor Zaitz, showed a lot of promise year one. Its too bad, he sure is a mean fugger along the boards. Love guys like that.

Maybe Dubas trades him to Islanders and Trotz does a great job with him, Trotz has had a lot of success with Russian players.

You have to think Nylander is comfy in Toronto with all the Swedes in the city playing with the Leafs and Marlies. Cannot be a bad thing, I would think .

Back