• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Season Thread 2018-19

Coverage for Liljegren while he's out?
They're also losing Sandin for the better part of a month too, for the WJC.

So yeah, that's probably it. And this is also Oleksy's second tour of duty with the Marlies, so they know him.

3. Nick Kypreos shook the masses last weekend, wondering on Headlines if Alex Pietrangelo would be a fit for Toronto. With a few more days to work off it, my guess is this: St. Louis put him in William Nylander discussions, but the Maple Leafs decided to keep the winger. I see two reasons. First, Nylander is six years younger. Second, they might not be able to fit Pietrangelo’s extension (he’s eligible in July) and would prefer someone with term in that particular trade. It doesn’t mean they can’t/won’t re-consider him in the future.

They are doing due diligence on defencemen. They’re not crazy about term, but may consider some length if the cap hit is small enough. The defenceman has trade protection, but if Novice-age teammate John Tavares can handle Toronto, no reason Pietrangelo can’t.

4. The biggest takeaway from all of this: The fact Pietrangelo’s name got out there indicates the Blues are willing to do it.

5. A couple more notes on the Maple Leafs, since those of you outside the Ontario capital can’t get enough. Toughness returned to the forefront after last Saturday’s loss in Boston, but you have to look at GM Kyle Dubas’s history. It’s been a yearly critique of his teams — OHL Sault Ste. Marie, AHL Toronto — and he ignores it. He’s undoubtedly focused more on Tampa Bay, the only team ahead of the Maple Leafs in the standings. The Lightning are built similarly to Toronto, and that makeup is in his own DNA.

6. Chris Johnston brought up offer sheets on the weekend. I’ve believed for years they are coming, and there are Grade-A candidates this summer. As one GM said this week, there’s only one bad thing about doing it to Toronto: “Who wants to be on the receiving end of their revenge?”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-leafs-wouldnt-trade-nylander-pietrangelo/

There are still a lot of old school GM's around the league who consider offer sheets to be dirty business. It wouldn't be one GM extracting revenge, it would be a bunch of GM's extracting revenge.

I think the "revenge" thing as a motivation for GM's not trying offer sheets is way overblown. That's always the simple explanation the media seems to reach for when trying to explain why offer sheets don't happen, but I don't even think it's a factor at all, really.

I think it mainly comes down to:

1) You have to sign the player to an exorbitant overpayment/team-unfriendly deal to have any chance of his current team not matching.

2) If his team doesn't match, the exorbitant amount of money/bad contract you signed him to will probably screw over your cap situation too.

3) For any RFA of consequence, you need to have a shit-ton of free cap space and own your next four first round picks. That rules out a whole bunch of teams.

4) In the days of parity and a wide-open draft lottery, four unprotected 1st rounders is a scary ****ing price to pay for any player.

The other most overlooked fact: the player does actually have to sign the offer sheet. And if you're looking to sign an elite RFA to an offer-sheet because you're a desperate gong-show of a team with a ton of cap space, then you're not going to be a particularly attractive destination for players.

For example, if Lou and the Islanders threw a huge offer sheet at Matthews or Marner, would they be willing to sign it and risk playing out the prime of their career with the Islanders?

And also the compensation factor. To even tempt willy a team would have to cough up two firsts, a second and a third rounder. We know the good teams don't have cap space for that so that basically leaves bottom 5-10 teams. They may not be all that willing to pay willy, let's say 10 mil per year over 7 years and give up potential top five picks for the next two years.

It makes a little more sense with Marner and Matthews but even then... They'd have to give up 4 first rounders for Marner to tempt him remotely. For a junk, rebuilding team, that's kind of a lot tbh. It's not exactly a "steal" as many tend to suggest.

It would be interesting to see a list of offer sheets that have been presented over the years. Maybe GM's use them more than we know, but because they are unsigned the public just never hears about them.

I think it is also true that if you have the opportunity to offer a sheet, then you probably should be willing to talk trade. If it's a hockey deal, most GMs would rather negotiate compensation than have to give up the picks.

I think the "revenge" thing as a motivation for GM's not trying offer sheets is way overblown. That's always the simple explanation the media seems to reach for when trying to explain why offer sheets don't happen, but I don't even think it's a factor at all, really.

I think it mainly comes down to:

1) You have to sign the player to an exorbitant overpayment/team-unfriendly deal to have any chance of his current team not matching.

2) If his team doesn't match, the exorbitant amount of money/bad contract you signed him to will probably screw over your cap situation too.

3) For any RFA of consequence, you need to have a shit-ton of free cap space and own your next four first round picks. That rules out a whole bunch of teams.

4) In the days of parity and a wide-open draft lottery, four unprotected 1st rounders is a scary ****ing price to pay for any player.

The other most overlooked fact: the player does actually have to sign the offer sheet. And if you're looking to sign an elite RFA to an offer-sheet because you're a desperate gong-show of a team with a ton of cap space, then you're not going to be a particularly attractive destination for players.

For example, if Lou and the Islanders threw a huge offer sheet at Matthews or Marner, would they be willing to sign it and risk playing out the prime of their career with the Islanders?

Excellent post :thumbup1:

Has an offer sheet ever actually worked out for a team though? St. Louis gave up 5 first round picks for Stevens only to lose him when they were forced to trade him for offer sheeting Shanny. Hartford lost 3-4 firsts for Glen Wesley. Teams matched Sakic, Fedorov, Weber. The Flames almost gave up abunch of picks for O'Rielly only to have to put him on waivers.

The only posititve one I can think of is the Sharks offer sheeting Hjalmarsson forcing a Niemi trade.

Offer sheets rarely, if ever, work out for the team offer sheeting.

Wow. I googled it and there were some surprising ones I either didn’t remember or never knew.

Calgary on Selanne. STL on McSorley. STL on Nedved. STL on Corson. (Somebody really liked doing it there obviously). Chicago on Tkachuk. Yes, Philly on Gratton. Philly on Kesler. Edmonton on Penner.

Nothing since Calgary on ROR in 2013.

Looks like Ron Caron. 7 offer sheets in 4 years including Stevens, Shanahan and Goulet. Plus he traded for Hull and Macinnis. Guy is crazier than Fletcher.

Ron Caron was the worst GM ever. Just horrific trades and wild signings.If he had left the Blues alone in 91 after they had the 2nd best record in the NHL they might have won a cup.
His handling of the Oates situation was just laughable.

A good life pro-tip: don't read any articles by Kevin McGran.

Out of all the journalists that are employed to cover the Leafs full-time in Toronto, he's probably the worst, IMO.

Back