• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

When asked the question about Neds possibly playing before the break, Brindy sort of waffled before answering that there is a good chance Neds gets a start (that would have to be the Vancouver game I would suspect).

With Mrazek definitely not on his A game, they're going to need to fit in a start for Ned before the end of the trip.

Pierre LeBrun's column in The Athletic today has a pretty length blurb on the Hurricanes. For those without subscriptions, a few highlights:

* The Canes are "far from done" ahead of the trade deadline
* Ferland is "all but gone," and--as he has reported before--the Canes are seeking a forst-round pick and a prospect in return...LeBrun thinks there will be substantial demand for Ferland's services
* The Canes are willing to move of one their two-four defensmen for a top-six forward with offensive skill and teams have been calling about Hamilton and Pesce

Pierre LeBrun's column in The Athletic today has a pretty length blurb on the Hurricanes. For those without subscriptions, a few highlights:

* The Canes are "far from done" ahead of the trade deadline
* Ferland is "all but gone," and--as he has reported before--the Canes are seeking a forst-round pick and a prospect in return...LeBrun thinks there will be substantial demand for Ferland's services
* The Canes are willing to move of one their two-four defensmen for a top-six forward with offensive skill and teams have been calling about Hamilton and Pesce

A "forst" round pick sounds delicious, is that German by chance?

:cheers2:

Seriously, I kind of get the impression that Carolina might would have moved Pesce already if he could stay healthy. There has been a LOT of chatter surrounding BP.

I hate it that we haven't given the deHann-Hamilton pairing a go. Now we're talking about trading Hamilton without, IMO, a full evaluation. I still say Faulk should be the D-guy we dangle.

Bizarre that we could possibly lose Hamilton and Ferland within a month. They are just currency that we obtained for Lindholm and Hanafin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate it that we haven't given the deHann-Hamilton pairing a go. Now we're talking about trading Hamilton without, IMO, a full evaluation. I still say Faulk should be the D-guy we dangle.

I honestly don't know how much the CANES are talking about trading Hamilton versus how much the press is talking about it. The sense I get is that the Canes are talking about moving Faulk, without many takers. And they're begrudgingly listening to offers that include Pesce. Hamilton, yeah ... they'd probably move him if the deal made sense, but I don't think he's sitting in the shop window with a price tag like Faulk has been for quite awhile now.

Ferland is another matter. And one we discussed at length. I loathe that they can't seem to find the right price point for him long term, but business is business.

I honestly don't know how much the CANES are talking about trading Hamilton versus how much the press is talking about it. The sense I get is that the Canes are talking about moving Faulk, without many takers. And they're begrudgingly listening to offers that include Pesce. Hamilton, yeah ... they'd probably move him if the deal made sense, but I don't think he's sitting in the shop window with a price tag like Faulk has been for quite awhile now.

Ferland is another matter. And one we discussed at length. I loathe that they can't seem to find the right price point for him long term, but business is business.

It could also mean that he wants to test the waters with an offer from the Canes in his back pocket. Maybe Waddell draws the line at Tom Wilson money but he wants to take a look and see if someone comes up with Evander Kane money or somewhere in between.

I think trading Hamilton would be a short sighted mistake.

Couldn’t agree more.

I like Faulks game this year, especially compared to last years defensive zone play. He finally shed the notion of holding the puck until it was too late, then made bad passes to the slot, and a minus on Faulks stats. He has blocked shots, saved goals in the crease, and has become a good defender. Granted the numbers do not reflect this, but I suspect once the defensive end becomes reflex, his numbers will come. So in this sense I would keep Faulk over Pesce. Last year, not so much. This up to now, but anything could change, including getting a look at Pesce on the left side.

I think trading Hamilton would be a short sighted mistake.

I agree in principle, but as always ... depends on the return. I do think we need to pare down the number of offense-first D before Fox hits the mix. Either Faulkie or Dougie ... one of them has to go. And Dougie is a million miles ahead of the current version of Faulk in my book. Again, depends on market value and the big picture.

Fleury and Ned were sent back to Charlotte after the game last night. The Cherkers are at Providence tomorrow and at Hartford on Saturday. They have the week off after that, then have 4 games in 6 days starting next Friday.

Fleury and Ned were sent back to Charlotte after the game last night. The Cherkers are at Providence tomorrow and at Hartford on Saturday. They have the week off after that, then have 4 games in 6 days starting next Friday.

Sure ... makes sense. The Canes don't play again until they host Vegas on Feb 1. No point in those guys sitting around doing nothing in the meantime. Plus, hopefully we get some guys healthy during this break.

With any luck it should also keep Darling from getting too many starts in Charlotte.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about that. Ned has started 30 out of Charlotte's 44 games ... regardless of the backup. Darling is just keeping him from too much exposure on all those AHL back to back (to sometimes back again) weekends.

Word of warning ... or encouragement, I guess. Get ready to be absolutely bombarded with Sebastian Aho at his first All Star Game stories.

Secondly, a random thought ... I love those black All Star jerseys

Hopefully Ferland will be healthy soon. He needs to be prove he can actually survive a few games in a row if we are going to get a 1st rounder and prospect for him in a trade. This break should help that along (I hope!) Once he proves to be healthy, its probably a good idea to get him traded sooner rather than later due to his injury risk.

Get Ferland healed up, get him through a couple of games, and then get him the heck out of here please before he gets hurt again!

Back