• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

We went with size-- kid is 6'4". Really, who do you match up with the size of Anaheim? On the other hand, why not go with more offense and speed and force them to chase you/skate with you?

He’s also probably a short term fix. Pick a guy, get him to the west coast and deal with the longer term when they’re back in Raleigh, where the Canes play 6 of the next 7.

My scalp is raw from all the head scratching.

Makes little to no sense. I get headaches trying to wrap my brain around what is happening.

Nedeljkovic recalled from Charlotte, Ferland placed on IR to make room. Which goalie is hurt? Since Darling wasn’t recalled, is that an indication that he’s truly done?

Edit: McElhinney left practice early yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedeljkovic recalled from Charlotte, Ferland placed on IR to make room. Which goalie is hurt? Since Darling wasn’t recalled, is that an indication that he’s truly done?

Edit: McElhinney left practice early yesterday.

Wow, they seem to be dropping like flies...the Lose for Hughes group of teams will certainly soon be welcoming the Canes to the bunch.

There was some buzz that we might be looking at Henrique. That would make sense. He's not great, but he's a better offensive center than anybody we currently have on the roster. The downside would be that he's not a playmaker. He's more of an Eric Staal type.

Henrique would be a nice add to plug the gaping hole at center...Anaheim is in desperate need of a left shot D with Cam Fowler out for most of the year...Fleury or TVR make sense! Let's make a deal!

Fleury is the only NHL capable LHD that we would entertain trading since we already traded Noah Hanifin. If we did trade Fleury for a forward, we would be committed to 4 RHDs in the lineup. That isn't unworkable, but doing that means that someone in the AHL will become our #7 Dman when needed, be that Bean, Carrick, or McKeown (or Michal Cajkovsky I suppose).

As already stated, Henrique isn't exactly a playmaker out there, but he is a far more capable offensive center than anyone else we have excluding Aho. By a long shot. The problem there is that the Ducks just signed him to a 5 year, $29.125 million contract extension this offseason that kicks in next year. It includes a NTC (player can list 10 teams he cannot be traded to). That is not in effect yet, but that that is part of extension. That extension has an $5.825 AAV and takes him through seasons where he will turn 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34. This is a guy who is typically good for 40-50 points a year and peaked at 50 (twice, including last season).

Do you really want to commit almost $6 million per to a aging player whose offensive production is basically the same as Jordan Staal's? That doesn't exactly sound like a smart investment to me. Plus it would take more than just Fleury to make that trade happen, so that is more cost as well. If we complain about Jordan Staal being a rip off at $6 million per given his offensive production, Adam Henrique brings that same point level at almost the same cost.

Like the player, don't like the contract.

It would have sent a terrible message to everyone if Darling was recalled after being sent to the AHL due to crappy play. I don't think Darling is 100% done yet, but he isn't an option even as the #3 until he has proven some consistent ability to stop the puck over a prolonged stretch.

Fleury is the only NHL capable LHD that we would entertain trading since we already traded Noah Hanifin. If we did trade Fleury for a forward, we would be committed to 4 RHDs in the lineup. That isn't unworkable, but doing that means that someone in the AHL will become our #7 Dman when needed, be that Bean, Carrick, or McKeown (or Michal Cajkovsky I suppose).

As already stated, Henrique isn't exactly a playmaker out there, but he is a far more capable offensive center than anyone else we have excluding Aho. By a long shot. The problem there is that the Ducks just signed him to a 5 year, $29.125 million contract extension this offseason that kicks in next year. It includes a NTC (player can list 10 teams he cannot be traded to). That is not in effect yet, but that that is part of extension. That extension has an $5.825 AAV and takes him through seasons where he will turn 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34. This is a guy who is typically good for 40-50 points a year and peaked at 50 (twice, including last season).

Do you really want to commit almost $6 million per to a aging player whose offensive production is basically the same as Jordan Staal's? That doesn't exactly sound like a smart investment to me. Plus it would take more than just Fleury to make that trade happen, so that is more cost as well. If we complain about Jordan Staal being a rip off at $6 million per given his offensive production, Adam Henrique brings that same point level at almost the same cost.

If the contract is bad, then why would it take more than Fleury or TVR?

I agree, with one note ... sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures.

If Dundon wants to make a run at making the playoffs this season, and he SHOULD, then he's almost certainly going to have to let go of his business-based player valuation model. We've been waiting for the "perfect fit, perfect deal" long enough that at this point, somebody he trusts needs to tell our owner that it's not happening. And without more offense, neither is the surge that's going to drive this team closer to the playoff race than where they sit pretty much right now. He's probably going to have to over-pay to make a trade that means anything, either in terms of taking on a bad contract or on the out-going player and asset costs. That's how it works when you're in a hurry. If you're willing to be patient, then you draft better and develop your own. We've tried that approach for pretty much five years without turning up any real help at center or in net. You either have to double down on the long game or take some higher stakes risks.

For the record, the same concept applies to the Aho negotiations. You simply cannot risk letting your only legit star player walk, even if that means you have to over-pay the kid.

If the contract is bad, then why would it take more than Fleury or TVR?

They just signed that contract this past summer and it was panned as an overpay when the deal was announced. The Ducks can afford to take that risk and overpay an aging player because they are easily a max cap team with a great playoff shot. If that contract goes south, buy the guy out, move on. The Canes are not in that same boat. If we were not willing to give Elias Lindhom $5 million per, we sure as heck better pause and think about taking on Adam Henrique (turns 29 in Feb) at almost $6 million per for 5 years. I would have rather just kept Elias Lindholm (younger, still had upside).

The Duck traded Sami Vatanen for Adam Henrique. Its going to take a lot more than Fleury or TVR to get the Ducks to trade Henrique to us.

That is bad contract for US...for the Ducks its a commitment to keep a player they wanted away from UFA status.

Lets see...how about...this one:

https://thehockeywriters.com/anaheim-ducks-henrique-contract-extension/

That has some opinions about the signing near the bottom of the story.

Last edited:
When it comes to adding a capable center, the Canes will certainly either have to take on a not so great contract like Henriques, or give up a kings ransom via trade...if I had to choose, I would take the bad contract simply based on the real need for said center. The Canes and their lack of depth at the center spot are really not in a position to be choosy when it comes to trying to fix the gaping hole at that position.

My point is, if the consensus is that the contract is overpaying him, then the return value for him is likely to be less because he's not signed to a team friendly contract.

If he's not a great player to start with and he's on a player friendly contract, then his value is lower - even if we're willing or able to take on the contract.

So I'd think the return for him would be someone or some combination of lesser value unless there were also player friendly contracts going the other way.

And, I agree, I'd have rather kept Lindholm. Moving him made our hole at C even more gaping, although having him on the roster wouldn't solve the problem either. I suspect the plan was hoping that Necas would be able to fill a 2C role. So with Necas, Staal, Rask, Aho, Wallmark, they wouldn't need someone else. I also think that's the future plan, and it might not be a terrible plan for the future, but it's not looking good now, and I think it was too optimistic by far for this season. That might work down the middle but we're still short the complementary talent you need to make that work if you put Aho at C. Hard to find a 1C, but I'd have liked to see us sign a veteran 2C and keep Lindholm and Skinner. As it is, we're still fighting the same issues as previous seasons, and our skilled players are not producing because our line combos are flawed.

The fact Rask does very little of anything significant for what he is paid makes things really dire for the Canes at the center position. Staal is a fine third line center but it seems like they just have no choice but to continue to overslot him year after year with terrible results. In a perfect world, Aho turns into a solid first line center, they go out and try like hell to find a 2C via trade, let Staal play his 3C role and Wallmark at 4C. Necas is still a wildcard in terms of when he is ready, maybe he eventually centers a top line with Aho moved back to the wing...but that seems a ways away right now.

I'd love to see a Rask/TVR package sent to Anaheim for Henrique...Henrique seems to at the very least be a servicable 2C on the Canes right now.

The fact Rask does very little of anything significant for what he is paid makes things really dire for the Canes at the center position. Staal is a fine third line center but it seems like they just have no choice but to continue to overslot him year after year with terrible results. In a perfect world, Aho turns into a solid first line center, they go out and try like hell to find a 2C via trade, let Staal play his 3C role and Wallmark at 4C. Necas is still a wildcard in terms of when he is ready, maybe he eventually centers a top line with Aho moved back to the wing...but that seems a ways away right now.

I'd love to see a Rask/TVR package sent to Anaheim for Henrique...Henrique seems to at the very least be a servicable 2C on the Canes right now.

Maybe we can convince someone that Rask will shine like all the other ex-Canes once he gets out of here (Staal, Skinner Lindholm, etc). But then again, maybe he'll just become an overpaid Derek Ryan for another team

Back