• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2018-19 Canes Miscellaneous News Thread

Given the toll this is all taking on Martinook, I wouldn't mind seeing Maenalanen tag in for him on Tuesday ... or Brown for that matter.

I thought putting Svech with Aho and Tavo was a bad combination the whole time. Maybe next year, or the year after, when Andre has a chance to grow into being a top liner. Staal will open things up for them.

I believe the Canes can, and will, win this one.

Go Canes!

I thought putting Svech with Aho and Tavo was a bad combination the whole time. Maybe next year, or the year after, when Andre has a chance to grow into being a top liner. Staal will open things up for them.

I believe the Canes can, and will, win this one.

Go Canes!

I doubt that's a long term situation. For the bulk of the year, when Brindy has had Turbo on Aho's wing, the other guy has either been Willams, Nino or Ferland ... all guys who are good on the boards and who create a bit of havoc. Svech is gonna be that one day, but that day is not now.

Our friend Brian LeBlanc pointed out a peculiarity in the CBA that will impact the Canes offseason goalie business.

We’ve all operated under the assumption that Darling will be bought out shortly after the buyout window opens on June 15. But the CBA requires that all teams have 3 goalies under contract. If they buy out Darling, they’ll only have Helvig and Booth under contract. So they’ll have to sign a goalie before July 1.

The buyout window is open until June 30, so they can negotiate with/re-sign any of Mrazek, Mac or Ned and then buy Darling out, they just have to sign someone before July 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of what they decide to do with Mrazek and McIllhenney, Ned should be easy enough to sign. One way deal and a strong promise that you'll seriously let him compete for the backup job and Bob's your Uncle.

Injury news already starting to get out:

David Pagnotta
@TheFourthPeriod

Wanna talk about a true warrior? Calvin de Haan played with a major shoulder injury that requires surgery (and months of recovery), but elected to play from end of season thru playoffs. That’s what hockey is about!

Injury news already starting to get out:

So that's two D now with TVR and de Haan both out long term with major shoulder surgeries that likely will impact the first portion of next season. Looks like Fleury and Bean may both get a chance to play some meaningful minutes early next year.

The off-season for Waddell and company has already started, no rest for the front office!

Fleury was horrible again last night. I'm having a hard time seeing him as any kind of real solution. Bean ... we'll see.

Fleury probably won't be on the Canes roster next season. I don't see it. The lack of scoring wouldn't be an issue if he was a defensive stud. Big if.

Fleury was horrible again last night. I'm having a hard time seeing him as any kind of real solution. Bean ... we'll see.

Fleury played a total of 33:28 or 8:22 per game in the series. It’s difficult to get intro a rhythm when you play 3 shifts per period.

Fleury played a total of 33:28 or 8:22 per game in the series. It’s difficult to get intro a rhythm when you play 3 shifts per period.

I'll give you that, for sure. But I'm afraid I've just lost faith in the kid. Every time I notice him it seems to be for a bad reason.

Fleury is still waivers exempt. There is no reason to completely give up the kid yet. They simply can qualify him, he's not going to get a 1 way contract, so the risk is still low. If you really want to move on we can trade him, but doing so now seems a bit premature to me. Also we best be careful if de Haan and TVR are both questionable for next season's start.

Yeah ... I really mean I've lost faith in him ever living up to his draft position. I still hope he can be useful at some point. He's got basically one full NHL season and two full AHL seasons under his belt plus playoff runs in both leagues, and I still don't see any poise out of him in his own end. And I don't really see much of the aggressive skating he was supposedly known for back in junior. I've been told he was better this year down in Charlotte but he certainly didn't show much in the NHL games he got. I just don't know about that one.

What about Dougie? He seemed to fall apart this last series and was pretty questionable throughout a large part of the playoffs.

I’ll be interested is seeing Nino after an off season under Brindy’s expectations.

Dougie had a rough time in Boston but I thought he played pretty well in Raleigh. Let's be honest ... ALL of them had a rough time in Boston.

Oh, and I think those Canes fans calling for Dougie to be traded will be deeply disappointed.

Back