• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Ducks 11/30 ... 7:30 eastern

While I agree we lack offensive skill, you have to acknowledge that Gibson stole that game just like Mac did on Tuesday. Canes had some great shots, not just chances, including on many of the power plays and he just was a wall.

If this team had average, perfectly middle of the road special teams, we’d have 3 more GF and 2 fewer GA. That would probably have netted us 2 to 4 more points (because we tend to play very close games) and put us fighting for the division with the Caps and Jackets. Average special teams. Not above average. 100% mediocre. Entirely blah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, do Waddell and Brind'amour get 3 or 4 seasons to build a winning program? Or will one or both be on short leashes? How long will Dundon be patient?

How short can the leash be when they are coaching with maybe 4 top 6 talents? It's hard to complain too much about coaching with the low budget, low talent hand we have. As JB has said, how much different can you play it and what would the difference be. If I was looking at shorter leashes, it would be on Waddell--but I wonder how our assets look to others. We so mis-managed Skinner that no one wanted him. The other moves have been decent---but we need more and we need a talent influx in a hurry

I think that mismanagement of assets happens behind the bench as well as the front office. And I'm not sure the new coach is doing any better.

I think that mismanagement of assets happens behind the bench as well as the front office. And I'm not sure the new coach is doing any better.

I get where you're coming from to some degree, but I hardly see that anything anyone could do with the current roster would make a significant difference. The roster is not only a problem, it's a problem in such a way that pretty much defies quick fixes. We're short at the most crucial forward position and have a lack of overall skill. That won't change an iota with all the line tinkering anybody demands to see, no matter how loudly they demand it. I'm not even close to giving Brind'Amour a pass for our garbage special teams performance this season, but talking about mismanagement of assets without being realistic about what assets we've actually got is well offsides in my book.

Besides, that game wasn't one of those where you put the coach on blast ... at least not for me. The guys took their foot off the gas and lost to a veteran outfit that simply finished the task at hand better. Learning how to win a game like that is one of the LAST things that comes for young teams. They earned a point and blew a game in OT ... whoopee doo. It wasn't the first time and it certainly won't be the last. It was fine.

Agree. Maurice didnt all the sudden become a much smarter coach the last few years. Talent matters. [QUOTE=jeffbear;3027128 but talking about mismanagement of assets without being realistic about what assets we've actually got is well offsides in my book

Canes had 3 breakaway chances; Hamilton, Foegele and PDG. Gibson saved them all. Ducks had 1 and Getzlaf buried it. That’s how small the difference was last night.

IIIRC the Ducks had at least one breakaway in regulation and CM made the stop. Two of ours were Hamilton and McGinn, I think. Don’t recall the other one. Yeah, I’d expect that Getzlaf would have a better finishing touch than those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. Maurice didnt all the sudden become a much smarter coach the last few years. Talent matters.
jeffbear;3027128 but talking about mismanagement of assets without being realistic about what assets we've actually got is well offsides in my book[/QUOTE said:
Actually I would argue that Maurice is a MUCH smarter coach than he was in his first Hurricanes tenure, but your larger point stands. Coaches look a LOT better with good, balanced rosters. Anyone who wants to argue can see Queeneville, Joel and Babcock, Mike and get back to me.

Can we at least agree on the failure of the Staal experiment as the #1 Center. He's 3rd Line Checking Line Center period. Asking him to do more is a fools errand. Let's at least figure who else plays on the wings on that Checking Line and then decide on the 4th line. From there blend away for whatever scoring potential you can muster on the Top 2 lines, but keep the 3rd and 4th lines static.

Can we at least agree on the failure of the Staal experiment as the #1 Center. He's 3rd Line Checking Line Center period. Asking him to do more is a fools errand. Let's at least figure who else plays on the wings on that Checking Line and then decide on the 4th line. From there blend away for whatever scoring potential you can muster on the Top 2 lines, but keep the 3rd and 4th lines static.

I mean ... we can agree, but I don't think anybody is "experimenting" with Jordan Staal as the center of an offensive line out of anything other than lack of better options.

My point, is that I'd rather go with Aho, Necas and Rask as 1st Line Centers than Staal. And I think we'd be better off for it.

My point, is that I'd rather go with Aho, Necas and Rask as 1st Line Centers than Staal. And I think we'd be better off for it.

I think they'd get absolutely squashed without somebody like Ferland to keep the peace, but ...

I said Centers, not 1st Line. Holiday Stress is upon us, it fair to say. :)

Aho, Necas and Rask as 1st and 2nd Line Centers. Staal 3rd Line Center and Wallmark 4th Line Center.

The Canes better do something quickly, whatever it is, to find more goals. Its pretty hard to defend letting Zykov go considering we barely gave him the looks he got last season with top line talent. We did NOTHING to replace Skinner's goals, and here we are again, looking up and down a lineup that flat out can't score. You can't continue to go to the 'no puck luck' excuse over and over again. We have almost no finishers. Jordan Staal, Brock McGinn, Justin Williams, Lucas Wallmark, Jordan Martinook, Warren Foegele, Clark Bishop and PDG are not going to magically start scoring goals...they have almost no goal scoring skills (some never will, some like Williams have lost most of their skill). They are not about to suddenly turn it around.

I said Centers, not 1st Line. Holiday Stress is upon us, it fair to say. :)

Aho, Necas and Rask as 1st and 2nd Line Centers. Staal 3rd Line Center and Wallmark 4th Line Center.

Ugh ... non-holiday related lack of reading comprehension on my part, I'm afraid. My bad.

Back