• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Caps 12/14 7:30

If they insist on keeping the shootout, it should be done before the game starts. Every game. Like warmups. That way if regulation ends in a tie, one team knows they have 5 minutes to score or they lose. Period. I hate that some games are worth 3 points, some only 3. It's simply stupid.

Nope ... just play 60 and call it a night. No loser point. No need to go with the 3 point system that makes sense to every single human not employed by the NHL. Just respect the tie and move on with life. And I think having both points on the line at all times will give regulation the appropriate sense of urgency.

If not, then this nonsense they're doing now hasn't really changed anything other than for the worse, so ...

Or go to the 5 minute 3 on 3 OT for the 2 points for the winner and 0 for the loser. If still tied call it a day and each team gets 1 point. Talk about edge of your seat tension when one shot can win the game and the loser gets nothing. And I think it's pretty hard to play boring 3 on 3.

I'm also not a fan of the shootout. What is the success rate of 5 on 3? And the loser point should only go when the game goes to the shootout. You win in OT you get 2 points the loser 0.

IIRC an analysis from a few years back found that the half life of a 5 on 3 was 80 seconds. That is, half the time a 5 on 3 will be successful within 80 seconds. The thing that makes 5 on 3s a little tricky to evaluate is that it’s rare to have a solid 2 minutes. Most are only partial.

Personally, I don’t know which one i think makes less sense: giving a team a point for losing or giving a team an extra point for being better at a one on one event in a team sport.

You want to make the last 5 minutes of a tie game interesting? How about if it’s a tie both teams get 0 points? A tie basically means that both teams are losing. I think a system where a win is worth 3 and a tie is worth 1 (no OT, just play 60 and you’re done) would be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never particularly cared for the 3 point OT system. It actually worked against us a couple of times IIRC... all some team had to do was force OT in their final game and that was enough to eliminate the Canes from postseason contention (Granted the Canes also did it to themselves by losing so many games in regulation, but I digress...)

The extra point in OT skews the standings. The tie could be justified: neither team won, so both teams split the two points and got one each. The original incentive of the OT point was supposed to drive teams to go all out rather than end in a stalemate, but with the elimination of the tie, it's just silly. The OT point to the loser should have been eliminated when the tie was eliminated: as much as I don't like the shootout either, it should be two points for a win, no points for a loss. Ties have been gone for over ten years now, and there's no good reason to bring them back.

A 3 point system would work and has been tested (maybe in soccer?) with 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss, and 0 for a regulation loss, but there's no way the NHL would go for that.

A 3 point system would work and has been tested (maybe in soccer?) with 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 1 for an OT loss, and 0 for a regulation loss, but there's no way the NHL would go for that.

I've heard the opposition explain it like this: Good Teams win most of their games in Regulation whereas Bad Teams, if not losing in Regulation, take the game into OT. Therefore, if you award 3 points for a Regulation Win, the Good Teams will pull away early in the standings and the Bad Teams will not be able to catch up. The NHL wants you to believe all 31-32 teams are highly competitive and use the Team Point totals to prove the point.

I get the opposition to 3 points for the winner. I do NOT get the fact that some games have a higher total point value simply because they go to overtime. That's a fundamental imbalance that is by definition unfair over the course of a season. Just get rid of the phantom 3 total point games and I'm happier than I am now. Losing the shootout skills competition round would be a bonus for me. Decide the game with a TEAM on the ice for each side and I'd be fine.

Back