• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Red Wings, 12/20, 7:00 Eastern

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
After three days off, the Canes embark on game one of a three game pre-Christmas break burst. All on home ice too, so merry Christmas to us I guess?

Detroit. Remember when it was a big deal when the Wings came to town? They were the model NHL franchise, filled with exciting offensive talent and since they were in the West we only saw them in Raleigh once a season. Now, we'll have played them twice before Christmas and this is decidedly not Scotty Bowman's Red Wings. Nowadays, the Wings are as scruffy as the Canes as they both sit on 14 wins, with 33 points and at or near NHL .500. Detroit has lost 4 in a row leading up to this one, giving up north of 4 goals a game in the process. And only one of those opponents, the Caps, is what you'd call a high scoring team. Carolina? I mean ... they won their last game, but have only won 2 of their last 8 and are hardly on a hot streak. Bottom line ... scruffy. Both of them.

So, wear your Santa hats, bring the Christmas cheer, enjoy the last Homegrown game of 2018 and root, root, root for the home team. It'll be fine.

I'm excited for 3 games in 4 nights. Hectic Family schedule has kept us away for 7 of 17 so far this season. Of course we play some tough teams here so the Canes hopefully won't foul my mood with their performance right before the holiday.

Canes are 4-1-2 when I'm not in the building this year. Unfortunately I'm not going to be missing maybe more than a couple more games this season.

I’ll be there tonight, not Saturday or Sunday. I’m hooking my iPad up to my mother-in-law’s TV on Sunday so I don’t have to listen to Jack Edwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll be there tonight, not Saturday or Sunday. I’m hooking my iPad up to my mother-in-law’s TV on Sunday so I don’t have to listen to Jack Edwards.

Oooo. Good call on that one.

I'm in for tonight and probably in for Saturday depending on a few things. Family dinner on Sunday will mean I'm out for Whalers night. As you all know, I'm just heartbroken over that.

Referees:
Marc Joanette #25, Graham Skilliter #24

Linesmen:
Jonny Murray #95, Libor Suchanek #60

Canes are 1-1 with each ref this year. Joanette’s penalty calls spike in the 2nd period to over 40%. Skilliter’s calls are pretty evenly spread.

Staal activated of IR. So I guess Bishop sits or Aho moves back to wing? If Ferland plays, I can’t imagine it will be the latter though.

Any news that Staal practiced? I hadn't heard that and would not want to have repeat of Ferland's leaving mid-game.

Any news that Staal practiced? I hadn't heard that and would not want to have repeat of Ferland's leaving mid-game.

IIRC Staal has fully participated in at least two practices before being activated. He should be good to go. Emphasis on "should"

Oooo. Good call on that one.

I'm in for tonight and probably in for Saturday depending on a few things. Family dinner on Sunday will mean I'm out for Whalers night. As you all know, I'm just heartbroken over that.

Can I borrow your Whalers jersey? :)

Same recycled garbage hockey this team has been passing off as acceptable for years. Where is the desperation and heart? The compete level was awful and the give a shit meter was low yet again.

Certainly wasn’t worth fighting with I-40 rain traffic to get to that tripe of a game. Amazing how many short shots we had that weren’t even close to the net. I’ve seen enuff of PDG for a while.

I'm in total agreement with the comments above. I thought we looked fairly engaged in the first period, but were totally lacking in any kind of energy or cohesive play in the last two. Sloppy passing and an uncanny inability to take advantage of scoring chances seems to be this team's identity.

By the end of the game we were watching the Keystone cops. There was nothing cohesive about their play.

If we are a team of accountability, who is responsible for that hot mess?

If we are a team of accountability, who is responsible for that hot mess?

That’s a great question! Who would want to take responsibility for that kind of effort on home ice against an average opponent who plays their backup goalie and you need the points bad? For all the lip service of Williams as a great captain and Brindy making them accountable and Dundon swearing things would be different, this mess is the exact same kind of heartless, going through the motions mediocre hockey that we are all accustomed to with this outfit. Two thirds of the Canes were invisible out there for the most part.

Other than the first period and watching Svech snipe a goal, that game was horrible to watch. We looked like a joke out there. Terrible!

That was awful. Rask is useless. McGinn is useless offensively. Jordan and Faulk have two shot patterns: totally miss the net (not even close) or put it where the goalie can make an easy save. Turbo feels lost. Hamilton is disinterested.

Its a talent thing, but this game felt like more.

I'd like to see them change the Powerplay in particular. Swap Faulk and Hamilton---maybe playing the PP with talent would wake Hamilton up. Move Svech from playing low or screening the goalie to a wing--Sure seems like he could move right into Ovechkin and Laine's powerplay office.

I'm even more down for going hard after Tarasenko in a blockbuster deal that also gets us a center (Schenn, etc.) that is worth a damn

Back