• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Merry Christmas

Well ... happy Boxing Day at this point, but I certainly hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

Well ... happy Boxing Day at this point, but I certainly hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season.

My Boxing Day was consumed by the 14-1/2 drive home from the Boston suburbs. My daughter graciously drove part of the way so I could watch Brighton v. Arsenal on my iPad.

My Boxing Day was consumed by the 14-1/2 drive home from the Boston suburbs. My daughter graciously drove part of the way so I could watch Brighton v. Arsenal on my iPad.

Sorry about the draw, then ... but welcome home.

I am enjoying the India v Australia Boxing Day test match, but man, Australia has a lot of work to do match India's 443 in two days. If they can match India's opening innings, this match will end up in a draw. I'm thinking that India should have declared their first innings earlier but maybe they don't want a win.

I am enjoying the India v Australia Boxing Day test match, but man, Australia has a lot of work to do match India's 443 in two days. If they can match India's opening innings, this match will end up in a draw. I'm thinking that India should have declared their first innings earlier but maybe they don't want a win.

What the hell are you talking about???

India v Australia, foo! I can't think of a better reason to stay up all night. Then, sometime in the middle of the night, I can switch over to Pakistan v South Africa.

I mean, Cricket was pretty much tailor made for insomniacs, so ...

I assume that was the response you were angling for. Merry Christmas.

I mean, Cricket was pretty much tailor made for insomniacs, so ...

I assume that was the response you were angling for. Merry Christmas.

I love Cricket. But yeah, it's an acquired taste. Much better than "boring ball", IMO.

I love Cricket. But yeah, it's an acquired taste. Much better than "boring ball", IMO.

I don't mind short tests, and I like the new-ish Twenty20 format. But the multi-day tests? God help us, WHYYYYYYY?

I love the 5 day tests. Man, you want to talk about strategy in sports, you have it in spades with the test matches. Even if your side is clearly the better team, you still have to make sure that both sides get their full chance at batting in both innings otherwise the match ends in a draw. Like right now. India is clearly the better team in this here Boxing Day test, but they need to make sure that Australia has their fair chances at batting or else their dominance is all for naught. So, what do you do if you are way out in front? Declare your innings as soon as you feel comfortable with your lead and get the inferior team up to bat and just hope to hell that no one on their side takes up an entire day scoring run after run. With this test, India got way out in front, declared their innings (maybe a bit too late though?), got Australia up to bat, and then took their 10 wickets fairly easily. India is now up to bat again, but in my opinion, they should've forced Australia on to bat again. Maybe India's bowlers were getting sore and tired? There's even grand strategy from over to over. Who is up to bat? What bowlers should be active? Where should the fielders be positioned for this particular bowler v. batter combo? Outs are extremely hard to come by in test cricket as the batters will be much more conservative in their attack, so things like field position and bowler decisions are very important. Even how a bowler bowls from over to over is important as they like to set batters up to deliver a ball that will finally get them out. So much to think about versus the one day matches. The one day match strategy is more along the lines of, "hit as many 4s and 6s that you can." With that kind of batting attack, you will get out a lot quicker but if you are like Chris Gayle, you will hit for 75 in just a few overs.

Yeah ... but you have to actually care to muster a 5 day attention span. That's clearly my issue. Plus, my people were Scots. Nothing in my genetics leans to Cricket.

It doesn't work with my sports genetics, lol... As a hard-core baseball kid about from the time I could walk, the first time I saw a foul tip, barely touched, fly into the seats behind the batter and everyone celebrating it like crazy #becausecricket, I knew the culture gap was too wide for this guy to breach. (Don't @ me with how hard it is to barely tip a cricket bowl/pitch/whatever so it flies behind you, I used to do that all the time with curve balls down and away :) )

Oh, and Merry Christmas 3 days late. I just had 20 spend the extended holiday in my house starting while I was gone to the WhalerCanes Night game, I'm *just now* coming up for air.

India racked up another 100+ runs and declared. Now it's up to their bowlers to get Australia all out before the end of the allowed time. See? STRATEGY!

Back