• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Flyers 1/3 7:00

Foegele fights through 2 defenders, gets a tip, 4-0. Maenalanen gets the primay assist for his first NHL point.

Bishop went out with a lower body injury in the first. Expect Nic Roy tomorrow. Simmonds scores on the PP, 4-1

Last edited:
Couturier with a tip, RBA challenges for goalie interference on Konecny. I think it stands.

It does. 4-2 with 12:37 left.

They were up 4-0 when I tuned in. I'll listen to something else for the remainder of the game and hope my inattention is enough to stop this train wreck.

Canes hold off the extra attacker, RBA and Mrazek beat their old team.

Columbus awaits in Raleigh tomorrow.

For the record, I ignored this one through 2 periods in favor of watching State play their ACC opener at Miami. Once that was done I flipped over to the hockey (although Spectrum thought it was tennis ... idiots) and almost jinxed the whole thing. Sorry about that ... my bad.

Again though ... young teams have trouble with big leads on the road sometimes. Nobody has forgotten that horrible result in Washington back in December, right? At least this time they hung on for the W. And it sure is nice to play a team with worse goaltending for once, isn't it?

From what I've always seen from Calgary fans is that Hamilton is a "late starter". By that, I thought they meant a month or two into the season. But last night I saw one say to a Canes fan "welcome to January Hamilton".

This season I think his "late start" is more related to how and when he's being deployed, plus our overall futile system of cycle - pass to the point at the blue line - fire towards the net as an "entry" strategy - go get the puck - rinse - repeat. And with little to no net-front screening going on, those blue-line point shots are an easy catch for an unscreened goalie...if they make it to the net at all.

Note that last night's goal was a completely different thing. Hamilton dropped down low on the rush with the puck, firing from the right-dot area instead of way back there at the blue line. Physics says there's no time for goalie-twitch when you're shooting from that distance. If you can hit the target, it's in.

And that, says Calgary fans, is his game. On the move, on the rush. Not standing at the blue line. That's Faulk's game.

To put some numbers to Elskers point about Dougie being a late starter:

17-18 season:
Oct-Dec 39 Games 4 Goals 12 Assists
Jan-Apr 43 Games 13 Goals 15 Assists

Note that last night's goal was a completely different thing. Hamilton dropped down low on the rush with the puck, firing from the right-dot area instead of way back there at the blue line. Physics says there's no time for goalie-twitch when you're shooting from that distance. If you can hit the target, it's in.

And that, says Calgary fans, is his game. On the move, on the rush. Not standing at the blue line. That's Faulk's game.

Yeah ... and it's worth noting that while he hasn't had a ton of shooting luck this season, that's the kind of scoring chance that Hamilton has been creating the most thus far. He's a decent passer and has a pretty good long range snapshot, but he's much more dangerous dancing past a defender into an opening in the high slot before letting it fly. And that's the kind of goal he most often scored in Calgary, from memory. Again, I know how Canes fans can be and most (if not virtually all) of them have already thrown in the towel and turned HARD on Hamilton, when I'm 100% sure he's going to give the team a LOT more offense than he's managed thus far. I can't count how many times I've heard somebody on the concourse mumbling about "trading that bum Hamilton" this season. I think it would be a mistake to listen to that crowd too much.

Oh, and note to Brind'Amour ... Hamilton needs opportunities to get his offensive game untracked. Burying him on the 2nd power play unit has NOT helped. Especially since Faulk isn't giving us anything on the first unit anyway.

Faulk getting the "A" messed with a deHann-Hamilton pairing. Which is what we were all anticipating would be the case when Faulk was being shopped this summer. I still think Faulk is a 3rd pairing guy on this team, but the D hasn't been our problem most nights.

Back