• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #49: WSH @ TOR

The gud pro theory burns my nuts man. The sooner Dubas fixes the lineup and takes his no hand having toys away, the happier I am.

Aren't you running into a Dwane Casey level problem with Babcock by taking away the things he likes and or asking him to coach different? Wouldn't it just be better to spend the money and replace him before you have too many playoff losses? I feel like trying to get a coach to change, or change his environment is never a good idea especially one with a Babs ego.

The gud pro theory burns my nuts man. The sooner Dubas fixes the lineup and takes his no hand having toys away, the happier I am.

He probably has to tread lightly in his first year but I'll be disappointed if one of Brown or Hyman aren't shipped out (assuming there's nothing he can do with Marleau).

One thing I would not have touched with those lines is Kadri with Marleau. It's the only place Marleau looks remotely passable as an NHLer at this point. He's done.

Aren't you running into a Dwane Casey level problem with Babcock by taking away the things he likes and or asking him to coach different? Wouldn't it just be better to spend the money and replace him before you have too many playoff losses? I feel like trying to get a coach to change, or change his environment is never a good idea especially one with a Babs ego.

I don't think Babs is tactically rigid. He's shown the willingness to make significant changes to the tactical makeup of basically everything about the team. Where he struggles imo is in his desire for safe players (the exact type of safe players Dubas shits on in early interviews when he talks about the changes he made in the Soo, funny enough) with skilled players, so it's a deployment issue. He legitimately believes that Hyman/Marleau are out there providing value, and to a degree they are, both are decent to good defensive wingers, but "heavy" defensive play from a winger is a far bit down the list of important attributes for a top 6 winger imo.

He probably has to tread lightly in his first year but I'll be disappointed if one of Brown or Hyman aren't shipped out (assuming there's nothing he can do with Marleau).

One thing I would not have touched with those lines is Kadri with Marleau. It's the only place Marleau looks remotely passable as an NHLer at this point. He's done.

But how can you possibly trust Matthews and Marner to be good together without Marleau babysitting them?

I think a big part of the problem here is the "pairs" theory. That all you need to find is two players will complimentary skills that can work together. I've heard Babs talk about it before and I strongly disagree with it. When you put someone with zero hands on a line with two skilled players, all you do is allow the defence to completely ignore that player and collapse or cheat towards the two skilled players. You'll give up HD chances to a plug without worrying too much. It just takes ice away from your good players (remember how the best chance we had when trying to tie up the other night was on Hyman's stick...there's a reason for that). It turns that line into a group that needs defensive mistakes to generate good chances, instead of being able to impose their skill on a defence and create opportunities without the defence gifting them.

Last edited:
Jesus Ovy.

That's a good example of what I just rambled about. TJ Oshie takes a hard pass clean and puts a perfect pass on Ovy's tape in space, giving him a clean shooting lane.

On our team, that off winger is Hyman or Marleau. They're just not capable of making clever but simple offensive plays like that.

Ozi is playing worse that Borgman did when they sent him down last year. No idea why he remains fixed in the lineup.

mostly because they invested so much time in the guy, I think. they were scouting him all last season and obviously thought he was really good. At least they're not paying him a lot. That makes these gambles hurt less when you lose them.

Willy with the great backcheck, brushes off the dirty hit, and sets up the goalm

Willy with a brilliant shift. Zaitsev with a 40 foot wrister that was about as sniped as anything he's ever done in a leaf jersey.

Back