• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Flames 2/3 2:00

Couple of thoughts ...

Officiating ... well, I haven't blown my lungs out at a ref in over a year, so it sort of felt good to let Charron have the full bag yesterday. That said, his performance was perhaps the most childish, ridiculous display I've seen from an NHL ref in a long, long time. I'm not even talking about the blown call on the goaltender interference, either. AFTER that he went down to Carolina's net of his own accord and got into a prolonged argument with Mrazek, only to skate away all pissed off and red in the face when Mrazek predictably gave him the business. I could hear them screaming at each other from my seats. And then to double down on that idiocy, not 30 seconds later he called the Canes for some Charmin soft BS in what was clearly an immature hissy fit because his little feelings got bruised. He then studiously avoided our bench (good call) and went and got into it TWICE more with Mrazek before the end of the game. Idiot. He should have his pro license pulled for that crap, but this is the NHL so they'll probably promote him to supervisor. That's embarrassing even by the NHL's comedically low standards.

Calgary ... having now seen them in person I can confirm that Peters did NOT attempt to implement his "system" in Calgary. They aren't playing anything like the old Detroit schemes, but rather are doing the standard NHL trap and turn stuff that all but 4 or 5 teams do these days. I mean, I guess that can be chalked up to growth, but I honestly think Gaudreau is running that team. He's the one barking orders. And yeah, they're cheap and chippy ... same as they've been for several years now. Screw that. They're going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs, when everybody ends up playing the same game.

Lindy ... whatever man. You never stepped up here when you were needed and we're supposed to fall down on our knees and honor your memory or something? Screw you. Oh, and Hanifin might have gotten himself a goal, but he's still a freaking turnover machine. Every time somebody got within 5 feet of him yesterday he barfed one up.

Carolina ... we have GOT to fix the power play, guys. GOT to. It's absolutely killing their meager chances at post season play. Put freaking Hamilton on the first PP unit, for crying out loud. Faulk gives you nothing ... less than nothing most of the time.

Last edited:
It's eye opening to know that you are allowed to push a goalie way out of his crease to help score. The Canes can use that. Those two refs should have been fired immediately after that game. But I guess we should expect the NHL to go the same way as pro football and basketball. Crooked.

It's eye opening to know that you are allowed to push a goalie way out of his crease to help score. The Canes can use that. Those two refs should have been fired immediately after that game.

We got called for virtually the same situation (without the puck going in the net of course) in the first period. And I'm not 100% certain Svetch wasn't actually pushed into their keeper. It's indefensible no matter how you slice it.

They mangled the entire game. The goalie interference call was just the last straw for me. I bolted, along with about half of PNC it seemed.

They mangled the entire game. The goalie interference call was just the last straw for me. I bolted, along with about half of PNC it seemed.

Fair. If it helps, the remaining crowd showered the two bums with boos at the end of the game.

Our row of long term STHers are of the opinion that NHL referees will be more generous in calls to Canadian teams than the Canes. I am of the opinion that is a hard one to support because of the incompetence of most referees.

Our row of long term STHers are of the opinion that NHL referees will be more generous in calls to Canadian teams than the Canes. I am of the opinion that is a hard one to support because of the incompetence of most referees.

Yeah ... I actually think they're wrong on that one. Montreal and Toronto still get some homer calls, but nobody else really does. Not regularly anyway. Yesterday was a just a typical poorly officiated game that went badly haywire on that interference no call. And fans don't help when they don't understand the rules. The refs blew the initial call, but that video review was always going to go against the Canes. All they're looking at in the War Room is interference DURING the shot sequence, NOT before it. Neal cleared out Mrazek, but he was back in his crease and square to the shot by the time Hanifin let rip. Did it throw him off? Absolutely. Does anybody in the league office care about actual fairness? Doubtful. Did Neal get away with it because he plays for Calgary? God, no. Video review doesn't correct missed calls that lead to issues, and even if it did the league has absolutely no firm line on what constitutes goaltender interference anyway. One night it's one thing, the next night something completely different. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the color of the jersey and absolutely everything to do with how stupidly this league is run.

I'd love to see more accountability for inept referees and linesman. I propose shock collars. Miss a blatant call, or blow an obvious call, and you get tazer level voltage through the collar. Play doesn't stop while they writhe around and recover.

I'd love to see more accountability for inept referees and linesman. I propose shock collars. Miss a blatant call, or blow an obvious call, and you get tazer level voltage through the collar. Play doesn't stop while they writhe around and recover.

Barbaric.

I approve.

We had a client 10-12 years ago who said he tried his dogs invisible fence collar. “Gentlemen, I don’t recommend you ever try it”

I think PuckinA once linked a story on some guy who decided to see what a taser would do. Story was hilarious!

Back