• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019 Trade Deadline Thread

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
We can post any specific moves the Canes make in dedicated threads, in the usual manner. But let's keep an open thread for everybody else's moves.

Thus far, I think we can safely categorize the following as Trade Deadline Moves:

Oleksiak (D) from Pittsburgh to Dallas for a 4th rounder

Muzzin (D) from LA to Toronto for 2 prospects and a 1st rounder in 2019

Brassard (C) and Sheahy (F), 1 2nd Rounder (2019) and 2 4th Rounders (2019) to Florida for Bjugstad (C) and McCann (grunt)

Carry on ...

Last edited:
In the speculation pile ....

Brian Boyle, Brent Seabrook and Kevin Hayes have joined Artemi Panarin, Sergei Bobrovsky, Matt Duchene (perhaps via a sign and trade deal) and Mark Stone in the seemingly likely to be peddled column next to Ferland and Wayne Simmonds. That's not great news for Carolina, since several of those guys (esp. Simmonds and Stone) would knock Ferland's value down a few pegs. Wait and see time for Carolina. Oh, and Faulk speculation has heated up as well, while Hamilton speculation has cooled.

Ferland won't require teams to have a ton of open cap space. That is one thing he has going for him against the other power forwards. He is at least half the cost of the other names...and usually a lot more.

Ferland won't require teams to have a ton of open cap space. That is one thing he has going for him against the other power forwards. He is at least half the cost of the other names...and usually a lot more.

I do think Carolina will ultimately get what they want for Ferland ... a first, and maybe a prospect or secondary pick. I think the issue right now is that Carolina harbors ambitions of its own and would like to move him early enough to turn around and find another NHL forward to take up the slack in the short run. Nino's play has been nice and all, but we badly need another decent winger if Ferland's gone ... and there's nobody lurking around the system that even halfway fits the bill.

A little over 1 year after losing him on waivers, the Preds get Cody McLeod from the Rangers for a 2020 7th round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A little over 1 year after losing him on waivers, the Preds get Cody McLeod from the Rangers for a 2020 7th round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More veteran 4th line oomph. Lavi looking for some more jam in the forward lines. Between McLeod and Boyle, the Preds have added around 500 pounds of experienced beef.

Darren Dreger
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
Carolina Hurricanes have pulled back a bit in the effort to trade Mike Ferland. See how the next few games go. May use Ferland as an “own rental” in playoff push.
1:02 PM · Feb 6, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

More veteran 4th line oomph. Lavi looking for some more jam in the forward lines. Between McLeod and Boyle, the Preds have added around 500 pounds of experienced beef.

IMO this is in response to getting pushed around by a bigger Jets team. Nashville won’t have it this year.

IMO this is in response to getting pushed around by a bigger Jets team. Nashville won’t have it this year.

Yeah ... those moves are done with an eye towards Winnipeg for sure. Also, it's a reaction to losing Watson into the rehab program and watching one of their skilled guys like Johansen get suspended last month for a retaliation in a game with the Jets. Bottom line ... Laviolette doesn't like to see his teams get pushed around, so I'm sure he got in Dave Poile's ear asking for some more snarl.

I can see the Canes taking that approach with Micheal Ferland if they are sitting in or just a couple of points from a playoff spot by the deadline. As Dreger said, that is almost the same thing as making a trade of assets for someone like Ferland (except you are sacrificing assets you might have added rather than asset you have). You still might be able to trade him after the season for a 3rd or 4th round pick to some team that wants exclusive negotiating rights.

When you look at the Canes schedule between now and the Feb 25th deadline (@Buffalo, @NYR, @NJ, @Ottawa, Edmonton, Dallas, NYR, @Florida, @Dallas), if they are not in or just a point out of a playoff spot by the time that Dallas home game rolls around that might change the thought process. If we can't get 8+ points before that Dallas home game then making the playoffs would be pretty hard to envision. If they play the way they played against Pittsburgh, they should be able to win most of those games, including ending this ridiculous streak at MSG.

Last edited:
Darren Dreger
Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
Carolina Hurricanes have pulled back a bit in the effort to trade Mike Ferland. See how the next few games go. May use Ferland as an “own rental” in playoff push.
1:02 PM · Feb 6, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Dreger seems to be the only one pushing this angle right now, but he's usually pretty reliable.

I could see this happening, especially if the Canes are unsuccessful in trying to move Faulk for offense. Fans tend to over-value having two mid to low first round picks in a draft, and that's all Carolina is going to end up with if they move Ferland without adding another quality forward. Then what? People always act like you can package those two firsts and move up, but somehow nobody ever actually does that in real life. So, you end up throwing that 1st in to round out a deal, or you draft it out and hope you've scouted well. Meh. I think I'd just as soon make an honest push for the playoffs and spin it however you want.

OK ... catching up with moves that happened over the weekend, but suffice to say none of this is earth shattering news.

Canes note ... LeBrun reports that Carolina is debating whether to shift to buyer status. He speculates that a hockey trade would make more sense than a rental, and I agree. If they go this route, I expect the Canes to either hang on to Ferland as a kind of self-rental or to attempt to trade him to a team more likely to manage his contract demands in exchange for a similar player who is under contract beyond this year. I've seen some speculation about Carolina having some interest in Tyler Toffoli of the Kings. He's under contract for 2019-20 for around $4.5 mil ... the neighborhood they probably wish they could fit Ferland in. He plays an aggressive game and has scored over 30 at least once. He's not as big (or nasty) as Ferland, but otherwise would be pretty much a like for like replacement.

Oh ... and Detroit is dangling Jimmy Howard for a 1st rounder. He's 34 and maybe a bit past it, but still better than a LOT of the alternatives.

Arizona got F Emil Petterson from the Preds for F Adam Helewka and F Laurent Dauphin. I mean, good for them ... I guess.

Montreal got F Dale Weis (again) and D Christian Folin from Philly for D Dave Schlemko and F Byron Froese. And agin, well done ... I guess. These are all depth moves akin to reorganizing the furniture in the living room.

Last edited:
Oh ... and Detroit is dangling Jimmy Howard for a 1st rounder. He's 34 and maybe a bit past it, but still better than a LOT of the alternatives.

Too rich for my blood if he's just going to be a rental. Goaltending hasn't been spectacular, but if you really want to talk about shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic, trading a first rounder for Howard would be a good example. Toffoli sounds like a better investment and addresses the greater short-term need.

IMO, you only make that play for Howard if you're convinced you can sign him. And he'd probably want a multi-year deal, so you'd also need to be convinced his healthy was in order for at least two and maybe three years. It would be a big gamble, but let's face it ... less of a gamble than hoping you find a backup who's ready to start.

Color me uninterested in Howard if the cost is a 1st.

I'm not seeing many people considering just running back what we're doing this year with Mac and Mrazek. Sure, we punt finding a long-term solution, but maybe that's not the worst idea.

Bottom line... we're going to be making some sort of a risk with the goalie situation next year. I'd rather gamble on some age related regression from this duo (particularly if they are splitting time and neither takes on a full workload) than on our ability to once again find a backup elsewhere who's ready to be the main guy. Even with some decline, Mac/Mraz should be good enough.

If you see a long-term solution, go for it. I would prioritize other things rather than upgrading between the pipes. And I have to think neither of our guys are going to get a huge offer elsewhere. They'd likely be up for it, I'd think.

Mrazek specifically requested a 1-year 'show me' deal here in hopes of getting a better longer term deal here or somewhere starting next year. By my eyes, I think he's played well enough to get an offer, although I haven't done the calculus to figure out what teams will be looking. In any case, we'd have to be prepared to offer him 3 years I'd say. Not crazy money, but decent.

And ya, I say nay to Howard for a 1st as well. I don't see how he's substantially better than what we've got at this point.

Back