• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #52: ANA @ TOR - Duck Season! Randy Season!

As much as muzzin was awesome today... that hit created a 3 on 1. If that was the other Jake (with a slightly smaller hit) he would be boo'd for the rest of the night.

yep.

and if he hadn't made that miraculous recovery when he blew a tire. same thing.

All strengths

Zaitsev: 20:30
Hainsey: 20:16
Jake: 20:04
Derm: 19:36
Mo: 19:04
Muzz: 18:03

Saving the big boys. Not a bad idea with the potential for goonery on the other side.

yep.

and if he hadn't made that miraculous recovery when he blew a tire. same thing.

Gardiners act has gotten tiresome.
Usually every game he does something which results in a promo opportunity for the opponents.
The guy is dumber than dirt and he has no problem gunning his defensive partner off when a goal is scored against them.
He did throw a few hits last night, which was encouraging
But gardeners biggest problem is his continual basic errors. The same mistakes he made when he first got here.
But zaitsev is horrible ..... he plays scared out there, and gardiner does too.
So if muzzins hit would have allowed a goal for the ops.... well that is only one compared to the 500 gardiner has allowed in his time with the leafs.
The leafs should have just turned him into a winger.

I wonder how long before kadri is shifted to the second pp unit to put muzzins back on the point so the leafs can finally have a shooter for the PP. Lol

Tell me, if Jake is so dumb and bad at basic hockey, how is that he can lug around a guy that you think should be in the AHL and carry the play against high level NHL competition?

When I was watching the 2 D power play last night I was wondering if PK tactics had moved so far that they were not prepared to defended against 2 defenders?

4 forwards was and still is dangerous but it is now the norm and what all teams build PK units to defend against.

Gardiners act has gotten tiresome.
Usually every game he does something which results in a promo opportunity for the opponents.
The guy is dumber than dirt and he has no problem gunning his defensive partner off when a goal is scored against them.
He did throw a few hits last night, which was encouraging
But gardeners biggest problem is his continual basic errors. The same mistakes he made when he first got here.
But zaitsev is horrible ..... he plays scared out there, and gardiner does too.
So if muzzins hit would have allowed a goal for the ops.... well that is only one compared to the 500 gardiner has allowed in his time with the leafs.
The leafs should have just turned him into a winger.

What rubbish, aside Zaitsev is horrible.

The thing I like about Muzzin's hits is he goes for the puck first. Both of his big hits as a Leaf so far he knocked the puck away before finishing the check. Stick on stick before the body contact. He doesn't take himself out of the play looking to take guys heads off, he separates them from the puck and then finishes hard. Neither hit was gratuitous.

The one last night the puck just took a bad bounce and slid into the zone in Muzzin's feet. Most times that just ends the play though.

What rubbish, aside Zaitsev is horrible.

Watch Karlsson, Subban and other high risk guys on a nightly basis and you see the same stuff

High risk players are generally prone to mistakes but more often than not it works out in their favour

I'd even say that Jake is above average in limiting gaffs among puck moving blueliners. His big issue is not that he commits gaffs but that he has nights (and this can go on for stretches) that are just ****ing awful. Otherwise, an elite blueliner. He'll be missed.

When I was watching the 2 D power play last night I was wondering if PK tactics had moved so far that they were not prepared to defended against 2 defenders?

4 forwards was and still is dangerous but it is now the norm and what all teams build PK units to defend against.

Ya I posted about this previously when we first got Muzzin. I think if you're going to split the PP time pretty much evenly between 2 units like Babs does, you might as well throw a completely different look at them from PP1 to PP2. The 2 D thing barely exists anymore, so it could be tricky for PK's to adjust. One unit that works it down low and one unit that is happy to bomb it from the point.

Gardiner as your #3 dman is crazy. The Leafs now have 3 legit top pair dmen. All of a sudden the D is not only not a weakness, but a strength.

I think sometimes we get lost in the players we don't like around here. Yeah having a team full of skilled players is ideal. But no one has that. Having 4 shitty players is a very good situation compared to all the other teams out there.

i'm not actually convinced zaitsev is playing all that bad anymore, for a #4/5 guy.

Back