• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes at Panthers 3/2 at 7:00 pm

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Whew. Talk about getting back on the horse. Carolina wins an absolute dogfight against the Blues at home, and then they get straight on the plane to head to Sunrise to play the Kitties. Not fun, but hey ... you dance to the beat that the schedule monkey sets.

Florida has gone 2-0-2 since we last saw them, with three of the the four going to extra time. Weirdly enough, Luongo has gotten all four starts and I'd expect they're going to keep riding the old fella. I mean, I assume this is now his farewell tour, so why not? You know the drill with these guys ... Barkov, Huberdeau, Hoffman and Yandle. Keep those guys from killing you and everything tends to come out in the wash. They aren't great on D or in net, but they play a heavy forechecking game and have the 2nd best power play in the NHL. They WILL score goals, so you've got to get on the board and make them work in their own end.

Playoff picture ...

Canes sit 3rd in the Metro with 76 points, one point ahead of Columbus who are in W2. The Jackets have a game in hand on the Canes again. Montreal won last night and sit in W1 with 77 pts. Pittsburgh got a point last night but lost in OT to settle in the first chase position, tied with Columbus on points but trailing in ROW. Columbus has a game in hand on them as well. The Pens and Habs face off in Montreal tonight while the BJs take on the Oilers at home. I think Montreal is the real target for Carolina, so go Canes, Pens, and Oil. And here's to no three point games.

Take the game to the Panthers... Beat them and have some fun!.

Also we have a GIH (Game in hand) on Montreal.

Take the game to the Panthers... Beat them and have some fun!.

Also we have a GIH (Game in hand) on Montreal.

I need one of those four teams to step up and get out of my playoff chase summary. Then I can cut out at least one sentence and make it easier to cover every detail.

Obviously the Canes need to win their own games first, but they're not going to go 22-0 to end the season.

If we're already scoreboard watching today (hard to resist, I know), obviously rooting for the Oilers right now.

Sports Club Stats says that the best result for the Pens/Habs game is a regulation win by the Pens, second best result is a Habs regulation win. If it must go to OT, go all the way to the shootout to impact ROW.

Not to derail this game thread, but I think it's fairly obvious that both the Canadiens fans and the Hurricanes fans think that the Blue Jackets and Pens are just better than those two and thus they should be focused on each other. Frankly, that's hard to argue ... but there are actual games to play to decide this stuff. And none of them will be won on paper. When there's a head to head amongst the 4 Eastern contenders, then all I really, truly care is that it's a 2 point game settled in regulation.

Just want to point out that we're only five points behind NYI and WSH, the latter of which we have a game in hand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the remaining Group of 4 game today, the Habs and Pens are the free game today on the NHL app so you can not only scoreboard watch, but just plain watch.

And we have the same ROWs as the Caps and Isles. Just tying either of them in points would likely be enough for us to be ahead of them.

Mrazek in goal, Wallmark back in, Foegele is the healthy extra.

Niederreiter-Aho-Williams
Ferland-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Martinook-McGinn
McKegg-Wallmark-Maenalanen

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-van Riemsdyk

Sam Montembeault makes his NHL debut for the Panthers in goal. He had a 3.16 GAA and .901 save % in 37 games for Springfield this year.

Ice looks terrible. Lots of pucks stopping and slowing down. Need the get our forecheck going.

Need to claw out a win. Giving up the third goal first isn't how to do it.

Last edited:
Back