• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #72: Leafs @ Sens HNIC

This team is broken.

Absolutely agree,
Nylanders hold out and horrible play for the first 30 games is part of the problem, but he has began to show the promise and talent levels many of you supported.
Some of babcocks actions seem to be grasping at straws, and I wonder if he is beginning to panicked. The cliff comes up fast in this league.
But dubas has to take as much blame for the contractual mess with willie, and choices to keep up sparks (although I understand their decision to keep him). Soneone on the inside should have seen the glaring weaknesses he has.
Also it was dubas who wouldnt get more depth dmen in case of injuries like the leafs have recently endured.
I dont understand why dubas gets a free pass on everything.
Reilly is fantastic, but even he is having problems defensively, looking for outlet passes when all 3 forwards are at the opposition blue line, and the dman has 3 guys on him. This is on babcock and his system. It seems to be broke.
Zaitsev is looking more and more like a number 6 dman and on the pk, he looks slow and lost and cant seem to control the opps on the boards.
Hainsey is getting old, and he cant be sent out to do 1st line duties anymore. I would say I understand the minutes because of injuries, but this has been going on all year.
Send anderson home for a week. Give him time to regroup and rest.
Matthew's is a beast, and yes he has lost some important faceoffs, which directly resulted in goals but that happens.
Willie is getting more dangerous each game, and tavares is doing a good tavares.
Marner and his play have stayed fairly.constant, in the upper end of the league.
The forth line has been maybe the leafs best line of late, good on them.
Kadri has become a shadow of his former self. This isnt a result of the past injury, no, this has been a year long thing.
He has been horrible.
It seems to be the support forwards like brown and hyman and even johnsson who have had bit of a difficult time.
The injuries to the dmen (really has exposed how weak the defence for the leafs really is, and may answer why babcock continues to use the players that he does).
I dont understand why they dont bring up some new blood to try and help kickstart this thing.
The one positive I would have to point out is that if the leafs had to pick a time to have a bit of a skid, this isnt the ideal time
Washington, pittsburgh, chicago have all had these little skids in their Stanley cup years.
Things will sort themselves out once they get dermot and one of the kids up here.
Holl has no business in this league, sorry but he sucks.
Zaitsev sucks and he is killing the pk.
Marincin has played better lately, but still a fringe number 7 in this league.
Oz, this yushkevich clone is simply not Dimitri, some seems wrong with this guy.
Finally, this is a good time to see how the players react and how they deal with the situation.
Teeds, I agree, there does seem to be something wrong when the players cant even put in an effort to start a game.
That aspect isnt on babcock or dubas , it is all on the players.
We will see the coming week if this is just another step to success, or a 18 wheeler going off the cliff.
Roflmao ..... if it becomes an 18 wheeler, watch LA get the number one pick in the draft because the leafs missed the playoffs by 1 points lolololol
Talent doesnt always mesh well with other high end talent. But something does seem to be broken.
Funny how other teams that have an impending large contractual focus on one of their main players can pull a whole team down in the dumps ..... the leafs had/have 3 this season, nylander, Matthew's and marner, this could be part of the problem too ..... jmho

Last edited:
Leafs are not going anywhere in the standings. Habs have their own 18 wheeler and they are 10 points back of the Leafs.
Sucks for the Habs, all that goodwill of a season and they'll just miss the playoffs and get a crappy pick.

Watch the two interviews with Dubas and Babcock on trade deadline day. That tells you more than anything a change is needed. You can't have a GM and coach on complete opposite sides in belief of how to build a team. And you can't have a GM trying to move the coach's favourites (GM is right) to improve the team. Dubas wants to move all of Babs' favs aside from Hyman.
This is not going to work long-term.

Watch the two interviews with Dubas and Babcock on trade deadline day. That tells you more than anything a change is needed. You can't have a GM and coach on complete opposite sides in belief of how to build a team. And you can't have a GM trying to move the coach's favourites (GM is right) to improve the team. Dubas wants to move all of Babs' favs aside from Hyman.
This is not going to work long-term.

From what I have been told the atmosphere in the dressing room is not good. Players have tuned out the staff as they try to implement a system that just does not work with this cast of players. Coach is too stubborn and players have checked out, its shown for a few weeks here

From what I have been told the atmosphere in the dressing room is not good. Players have tuned out the staff as they try to implement a system that just does not work with this cast of players. Coach is too stubborn and players have checked out, its shown for a few weeks here

That’s crap imo. The system has them as one of the top teams in the league. Could they be better, or deployed differently, sure. But tuning out the coach seems premature. Likely immature.

That’s crap imo. The system has them as one of the top teams in the league. Could they be better, or deployed differently, sure. But tuning out the coach seems premature. Likely immature.

Is it the system or the talent? The coaching staff is working with a very talented team.

The system also has a dermot and gardiner in it.
With holl, oz and marincin in it, the system should change.
Defence wins championships, time to buckle up the defensive zone coverage, and start trusting the dmen to take their man and the forwards start picking up the point men with the free shots and time to keep the leafs running around.
If babcock and dubas have a problem with each other, then shanny has to step in and put them both into timeout lol.

Funny thing, if lou was still here, would babcock be a little more inclined to listen.
Makes sense though, one guy has an ego the size of leaf nation, babcock. And the other is trying to make his mark, and is still squeaky new, and is worried about his mark and that he has taken over for a sure fire hhof member.
It would be a little intimidating or it should be.

But no matter what, the agents for the players have probably whispered in their ears that they are still going to get paid mo matter what.

Way out of nowhere, I have a observation.
I have wondered this before, is marleau a problem?
Before everyone jumps down my throat, I wonder if his breeze by attitude has been implanted upon the youngsters.
For all the Marleau lovers out there, this might hurt but how can this guy not have been sat out?
He plays because of his not missing a game.
So what, if you play like shit, which he has for most of the year, then sit him and let him regroup for the playoffs.
Just a thought

Marleau's problem is he's a 6.3 million per 39 year-old who's a 4th line winger now and being used way too much. And we are stuck hearing everyone kiss his ass about "Leadership" and ignore his crappy play.

Johnston wrote today that Babcock needs to rally this team and it around or else

Wasnt long ago that he was writing for certain how Babs would be back regardless of how this season played out

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Where there is smoke there is fire, there is a definite disconnect currently between the coaching staff and players

Keefe being extended to a hefty contract for an AHL coach only adds to it

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I doubt Babs is fun to deal with. He would never listen to anything anyone says.
The Leafs gave him the biggest contract in history and always went out of their way to get him the help he wanted.

The bottom line is you cannot have a coach and GM on such a different belief system of how to build a team.

Babcock, wow, I remember being the only one, who despised him. Jeez it almost seems unanimous now. Which is good, because the guy is a fossil in certain ways.

Question... He gets let go. Does he get hired by someone else, cause lord knows his wife would divorce his rich ass, if he was sitting around the house all day long.

The only way I would be okay with letting go of Babs at this point is if we could lure coach Q. Not interested in having a young, inexperienced guy like Keefe at this point.

Back