• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #73: TOR @ NSH 8pm

Yup.

Amazing how previously dangerous players just dry up in nashville.

RyJo was a 30 goal scorer...now...nope.

Turris was a top line center...now...nope.

Simmonds...ugh.

At least Boyle has found a scoring touch.

Not so sure about that

Nashville was hoping RJ would take off but I never saw him as a big point producer .

Maybe he is just a 60 point player which is fine .

Turris was my candidate to fall off the cliff in his later 20`s and not age well and that's exactly what is happening.

we didn't put a single puck past them this year. 2 donuts. good riddance Predzzzz

crazy how loud that crowd is for a boring POS game like that one was

Honestly was fed up with the last week of performances. Been unwatchable and didn’t want to get pissed off
The other thing is that these remaining games are utterly irrelevant.

I mean, they're not irrelevant I guess in terms of this team using the time to turn things around and having a run of a good play before the playoffs start.

But in terms of the standings and playoff matchups, there's nothing further to be decided. The Leafs will be opening the playoffs on the road in Boston on round one. If they manage to win that series, they'll be starting on the road in Tampa in round 2. Nothing they do between now and the end of this season is likely to change that at all.

I love how the narrative since we've been in this slump and letting in all these goals is that the playoffs are this defensive, low scoring grind and only defensive juggernauts win. When that isn't the case at all.

Its so true.

2017-18: Capitals - 58.55 CA/60 (23rd)
2016-17: Penguins - 56.71 (23rd)
2015-16: Penguins - 51.42 (11th)
2014-15: Blackhawks - 51.38 (10th)
2013-14: Kings - 45.77 (2nd)
2012-13: Blackhawks - 44.76 (3rd)
2011-12: Kings - 48.51 (4th)
2010-11: Bruins - 56.35 (21at)
2009-10: Blackhawks - 43.3 (1st)
2008-09: Penguins - 55.02 (21st)
2007-08: Red Wings - 38.95 (1st)

2017-18: Capitals - 54.68 CF/60 (24th)
2016-17: Penguins - 58.24 (6th)
2015-16: Penguins - 57.84 (3rd)
2014-15: Blackhawks - 60.09 (3rd)
2013-14: Kings - 61.68 (2nd)
2012-13: Blackhawks - 56.17 (9th)
2011-12: Kings - 59.63 (3rd)
2010-11: Bruins - 59.6 (2nd)
2009-10: Blackhawks - 59.68 (3rd)
2008-09: Penguins - 51.86 (16th)
2007-08: Red Wings - 57.83 (2nd)

There is no consistency among Cup winners in playing low event defensive hockey. Some great defensive teams have won, some terrible defensive teams have won, some average defensive teams have won.

But 80% of cup winners over the last 10 years have been elite offensive teams. And the other two had Crosby, Malkin and Ovie.

The other thing is that these remaining games are utterly irrelevant.

I mean, they're not irrelevant I guess in terms of this team using the time to turn things around and having a run of a good play before the playoffs start.

But in terms of the standings and playoff matchups, there's nothing further to be decided. The Leafs will be opening the playoffs on the road in Boston on round one. If they manage to win that series, they'll be starting on the road in Tampa in round 2. Nothing they do between now and the end of this season is likely to change that at all.

eh home ice was definitely in play heading into the weekend and may still be.

eh home ice was definitely in play heading into the weekend and may still be.
No, that ship has sailed.

We're not making up a six-point gap against that Bruins team over the next eight games.

I don't think getting the extra home game or not really matters a whole hell of a lot either. It won't be the difference between victory or defeat in that series.

The bottom line is play your best come playoff time. It's not a big secret. Leafs had the vast majority of their roster last year play like crap and they lost in the 3rd period of game 7.
Leafs have the talent to flip the switch once the playoffs start and kick ass. Question is, will they? And how will the Cock coach? If someone is struggling, will he make proper adjustments?

The other thing is we are very Toronto centric here. BUt all contenders have issues heading in the playoffs with the exception of Tampa. Actually how domininant Tampa has been this year makes the other elite teams look bad.

Nashville started the season 13-3-1 and have gone 29-24-4 since (89 point pace). Winnipeg's underlying metrics stink this year (48.93 CF%, 48.19 SCF%, 47.37 HDSCF%). San Jose has the worst ES Save% in the league. Boston hasn't had a good season other than one insane hot streak. We just only focus on the Leafs. Truth is 99% of the legit contenders this season have red flags.

Last edited:
How many teams do well in the playoffs after stinking up the joint for the final month of the season?

I agree there are no actual consequences to these losses from a matchup perspective, but this notion that the rest of the games don't matter is categorically false. We play like this and it is a short series, full stop.

The other thing is we are very Toronto centric here. BUt all contenders have issues heading in the playoffs with the exception of Tampa. Actually how domininant Tampa has been this year makes the other elite teams look bad.

Nashville started the season 13-3-1 and have gone 29-24-4 since (89 point pace). Winnipeg's underlying metrics stink this year (48.93 CF%, 48.19 SCF%, 47.37 HDSCF%). San Jose has the worst ES Save% in the league. Boston hasn't had a good season other than one insane hot streak. We just only focus on the Leafs. Truth is 99% of the legit contenders this season have red flags.

Yup.

I wouldn't lump Boston in there though. Since they got healthy they've been incredible. They had some awful luck with injuries early and were ok just ok but when healthy they're a real good team with very few question marks. Everyone else outside of Tampa though? Question marks up the ass.

Yup.

I wouldn't lump Boston in there though. Since they got healthy they've been incredible. They had some awful luck with injuries early and were ok just ok but when healthy they're a real good team with very few question marks. Everyone else outside of Tampa though? Question marks up the ass.

No other contender is playing as bad as the Leafs in recent weeks. They may have other question marks but if we go like 4-10-1 in our last 15 games, that definitely matters. The chances of them suddenly turning the switch and becoming world beaters and defeating a top team like Boston become slim to none.

No but that is the whole point. Almost every other contender has the similar concerns. Right now.

For us, its a one week slump. For San Jose its having the worst goaltending in the NHL. For Nashville its playing like a .500 team most of the year. For Winnipeg its that they haven't been playing well at any point this season. Etc.

No, that ship has sailed.

We're not making up a six-point gap against that Bruins team over the next eight games.

I don't think getting the extra home game or not really matters a whole hell of a lot either. It won't be the difference between victory or defeat in that series.

it was probably the difference last year. Boston's the most extreme home-ice advantage team in hockey.

that being said, I actually don't mind us struggling at all right now. both because it has Matthews playing angry now, which is great, and also because it's forcing Babcock to look long and hard at his personal pets and their limitations.

No other contender is playing as bad as the Leafs in recent weeks. They may have other question marks but if we go like 4-10-1 in our last 15 games, that definitely matters. The chances of them suddenly turning the switch and becoming world beaters and defeating a top team like Boston become slim to none.

We're in the Toronto bubble. I get that. But trust me... They're panicking out in Winnipeg too. And San Jose and Nashville for the few who care there.

Can you imagine the freak out in this city if all of the Leafs underlying analytics were bottom 10, Matthews was having a 50 point season, Anderson was having a .910 season and Rielly was injured. Because thats Winnipeg right now.

Or what if this little one week slump was going on since November, Tavares was having such a bad season he is a healthy scratch, and Jake Muzzin had one point as a Leaf and was demoted to the third pair. Because thats Nashville.

Back