• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 3/21 7:o0

Considering that Tampa played a hard fought overtime game last night in DC, I didn’t like the work ethic in the third by the Canes, they could have gave more instead they dug themselves a hole and couldn’t get out. Not getting help either from the out of town scoreboard. Almost makes Saturday a must win, just no room for multiple losses this time of year.

Wasn't expecting much going into the game, but taking a lead into the 3rd was promising... and subsequently disappointing. :frown2:

According to Tripp, that's been the way of it against the Lightning all season.

Well I'm going to go get a drink I need to calm down.

I'm mad about how this game went down... Mostly the third but the end of the first as well. We took a breath for the end of the first and almost the entirety of the third. When we didn't in the third the Refs mostly turned a blind eye to anything against our guys unless they could even it up. (Foegele) I just hate the inconsistency. IF we had played hard and lost over the 60 I wouldn't be happy I don't like losing but I wouldn't have been so angry.. but that third was terrible... We "respected" Tampa and they took the inches we gave them and beat us over the head with them. it wasn't the same team I saw in the second..

Oh well. Go take it out on the Wild and Show them happy Nino...

Last edited:
Well I'm going to go get a drink I need to calm down.

I'm mad about how this game went down... Mostly the third but the end of the first as well. We took a breath for the end of the first and almost the entirety of the third. When we didn't in the third the Refs mostly turned a blind eye to anything against our guys unless they could even it up. (Foegele) I just hate the inconsistency. IF we had played hard and lost over the 60 I wouldn't be happy I don't like losing but I wouldn't have been so angry.. but that third was terrible... We "respected" Tampa and they took the inches we gave them and beat us over the head with them. it wasn't the same team I saw in the second..

Oh well. Go take it out on the Wild and Show them happy Nino...

Agreed on almost all counts. But the Bolts were the better team almost all the way through this game. Their PP is simply awesome. They set up, rotate, find the open man, who then puts a perfectly placed puck in the net. It's something we can only dream about. Poor officiating and an unbelievably passive 3rd period sure didn't help, but the better team won.

Wasn't expecting much going into the game, but taking a lead into the 3rd was promising... and subsequently disappointing. :frown2:

According to Tripp, that's been the way of it against the Lightning all season.

IIRC we took a 1 goal lead into the 3d in Tampa and lost that one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That team just rolls line after line. Hedman is incredible. Callahan didn't look so old out there. Tampa is fast, they are physical and at the same time run plays in a finesse manner.

Grateful Jordan Staal returned and hope there are no Lingering effects from that hit.

This is the second game in where the officiating was bad.

I think Tampa Bay doesn't believe they can lose. And it's hard to argue, considering the results.

I remember Game 7 of the ECF in 2006. We were losing 2-1 going into the 3d. We'd had so many great 3d periods that year. I remember thinking that there was no way we were going to lose that game. Not a chance. None. Done deal. I'm sure that's what Tampa and their fans have got going right now. (In that game, Brind'Amour notched the gamewinner with 9 minutes left and JW sealed it with a minute left. Talk about guys knowing their roles!)

There were stretches of the 3rd period last night where it looked like there were 7 or 8 white jerseys on the ice. The Canes are a fast team. The Lightning are Usain Bolt fast. They got to everything; loose pucks, clearing attempts, you name it.

There were stretches of the 3rd period last night where it looked like there were 7 or 8 white jerseys on the ice. The Canes are a fast team. The Lightning are Usain Bolt fast. They got to everything; loose pucks, clearing attempts, you name it.

It's not just speed. It's speed + good positional play. Any team can be fast and just skate around and accomplish nothing, always chasing the play. The Lightning know not just where they need to be, but where they are going to need to be. As awful as it was to watch the Canes get pushed aside in the 3rd, watching the Lightning is like viewing a hockey work of fine art.

That team just rolls line after line. Hedman is incredible. Callahan didn't look so old out there. Tampa is fast, they are physical and at the same time run plays in a finesse manner.

Grateful Jordan Staal returned and hope there are no Lingering effects from that hit.

This is the second game in where the officiating was bad.

Aho did not look right after the knee on knee collision with Nino, there may be some lingering effects to Aho on that play, Chip tweeted last night post game that he was going to get the knee further examined, any injury to Aho would be lethal for this team down the stretch. Jordan is very lucky to come back from that filthy head hit and play, and TVR was also banged up last night.

Tampa will win the Cup if they stay healthy, that team is loaded with talent and to be honest no one can match that roster in terms of depth and skill, they have guys on the second and third lines that could play on most teams top lines.

OK ... morning after with plenty of time to reflect and I'm STILL not sure how I feel about that game. Honestly, I'm not joking. Here's an idea of the stuff that hasn't settled into layers yet:

1. The "Canes just aren't there yet" take
There was much to like about Carolina's approach and they certainly came out swinging, but the execution let them down at too many crucial times. I have a hard time being mad at them for that, given the circumstances. This is not a game they're used to playing and not a position many of them have been in before. The moment was a little big for them.

2. The "if you're going to try to go toe to toe with Tampa then you should have started Mr Azek" take
I thought McIlhenney was in over his head last night. Yeah, the boys in front left him hanging a few too may times, but that goal at the end of the first was complete horsecrap from him in a game where you absolutely cannot afford to give up horsecrap goals. You give up a trampoline rebound on a 50 mph beachball? What? Are you changing your number to 33? And look, you know I'm uncomfortable pinning too much on the goalie, but I honestly think the staff got the call wrong last night. We went all in with a weaker draw, and then went with calm, cool and collected in net. Nah, man. You put the guy in the banana suit with the lampshade on his head in there to back up THAT game plan. Seriously ... they could have used Mrazek's fire last night.

3. The "Tampa's just that good" take
You know this one, I think. Yeah ... that's a freaking good team. Carolina came to play and got patted on the head and sent home with an L by the best team in the league. It happens.

4. The "I know the Canes would have lost anyway, but I'm sick of getting screwed by NHL refs" take
That "embellishment" on Foegele almost had me over the boards and on to the ice. WHAT is that? And then for a chaser to that little sewage sundae, you feed us that BS call on Ferland, which was the THIRD time in the game they absolutely fell for a Tampa dive. I'm sorry. I fully expect this crap and that's STILL garbage. And you know what, Tampa? You're good enough that the diving and gamesmanship just comes off as cheap and tawdry. Don't be doing that garbage with your talent level ... it tends to turn around and bite you in the ass in the playoffs.

5. The "Justin Williams knows best" take
Willie summed it up in the post game when he said the Canes pissed it away in the 3rd. I'm not sure I fully agree with that, but you know what? That's by far and away the healthiest approach for this team. It's ALWAYS about you and how you played the game. It's NEVER about the other team or the refs or the fans or the ice or an injury or ANYTHING. The game is right there ... go play it the right way. Carolina let Tampa drive in the 3rd and they paid the price. They had a lead coming into that period and didn't protect it or extend it, which is all anybody preaches around here. We blew it is probably the fitting elegy for this game. Let's let the Captain have the last word.

Aho did not look right after the knee on knee collision with Nino, there may be some lingering effects to Aho on that play, Chip tweeted last night post game that he was going to get the knee further examined, any injury to Aho would be lethal for this team down the stretch. Jordan is very lucky to come back from that filthy head hit and play, and TVR was also banged up last night.

I agree - I think the Canes absorbed a lot of punishment in the first 2 periods and it had an impact in the third.

Back