• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Lightning 3/21 7:o0

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The best team in the league comes calling.

The Canes had a sparsely attended practice yesterday, with basically the bottom 6 forwards, 3 dmen (including de Haan) and both goalies. De Haan is hopeful of playing tonight. Expect Mrazek in goal again.

The Lightning are chasing history, 6 wins short of the all-time record. They’re coming off an OT win over the Caps last night 5-4. Kucherov had 2 goals, Stamkos had 3 points, Vasilevskiy had 54 saves. Brayden Point is also in the top 10 in goals and points with 38g, 49a for 87 points. Vasilevskiy is in the top 10 in GAA and save % at 2.29/.930. Maybe we’ll see backup Louis Domingue, who hasn’t played since March 9. He’s 20-5 with a 2.88 GAA and .908 Save %. The Lightning have the top PP and PK in the league at 29.3% and 85.7%, respectively.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

The Lightning are chasing history, 6 wins short of the all-time record.

I’d be surprised if anyone in that room gives a hoot (strong language, I know) about that. Cooper seems like the kind of level headed no-nonsense guy that would’ve steered them away from that, particularly considering that if the Habs and Wings had regular season OT when they set the points and wins records, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

The Lightning surrendered 50+ shots last night. I suspect we will see a much tighter defense tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I can't say I'm looking forward to watching this game tonight, although it will be interesting to see how we compete against Tampa Bay. As good as we're playing, the Bolts are playing at a level that is all their own. Hopefully Roddy will keep the team clear-eyed and level-headed, so as not to overthink their opponent. Play hard and have fun, boys.

This game certainly will be a measuring stick to see how we compare to the best team in the league and a pretty good preview of what we can expect in a round 1 matchup no matter who it is. On the plus side, last night's game @WAS wasn't an easy one so the Canes may be able catch them on tired legs. And hey, this is a home game (are we wearing black?) and that comes with line matching advantage. Hopefully, we can be more accurate with our shooting than against the Pens. Way too many slot shots going right into the goalie.

This is a winnable game... I don't think we can't beat any team we face... after all we won in Vancouver and MSG this year... but do I expect it....It'd be nice to get :)

Hopefully, we can be more accurate with our shooting than against the Pens.

Yeah, it was embarrassing how McGinn put one in when he was obviously aiming for the post as usual.

Yeah, Cooper won't have been happy with that fire wagon game they got caught up in against Washington. I feel certain we'll see the more buttoned down, positionally disciplined version of the Ning tonight. Problem being ... they're danged good at both. They can run and gun with anybody, but they also can trap you into a fine powder and beat you defensively. And Domingue is no great White Elephant gift or anything. Carolina made him look like a Vezina candidate the last time he played against the Canes. Bottom line ... get on 'em early and hope you can hang on.

Hopefully, we can be more accurate with our shooting than against the Pens. Way too many slot shots going right into the goalie.

To be fair ... Murray was REALLY good the other night. He's huge and when he's moving as well as he did on Tuesday night, there's not a heck of a lot of net to shoot at. Thus those late zingers that Aho missed on. He was trying for impossibly tiny openings in the upper corners. You basically have to be perfect to convert those.

As stated previously, this will be a measuring stick-- how far we've come and how far to go. I like our chances IF we stay out of the penalty box and we come out strong. Make Tampa earn their goals-- fast legs, take away time and space, solid backchecking, no stupid penalties and keep it simple. Wishing Mrazek another solid performance!

Looks like de Haan and Foegele are in, Maenalanen and Fleury are out and McElhinney is in goal.

Shame for Maenalanen. He's really been leaning into the physical, agitating side of his game lately and has been VERY good in that role. I get that Foegele adds other stuff to the mix, but that guy has really stepped up.

Oh ... also, a caveat about using this game as a "measuring stick." Just be cognizant that you're measuring a team that's grinding just to get into the playoffs for the first time in a decade against the best team in hockey ... maybe the best team in the last decade. Demanding that the Canes win or be judged to be somehow bad or lacking is nuts, IMO ... because by that measuring stick, EVERY team in the league is lacking. I'm simply looking for Carolina to get into their game and do the things they can control to be successful. If they lose the game, then they lose the game.

Last edited:
I don't buy this measuring stick stuff, and I hope the team doesn't either. We already played them toe-to-toe in their building. If we win 4-1 does that mean we're awesome? No. If we lose 5-1 does that mean we're awful? No. If we lose in a 12-round shootout does that mean we're their equal? No. I think this team knows where it stands at this point. After 70+ games and with the trade deadline come and gone, I don't think the team needs to evaluate itself against anything. They just need to be who they are.

Hoping this doesn't turn into a repeat of the Jets game. I was at a wedding rehearsal dinner that night and was glad I didn't have to hear it.

Stamkos strikes first. 1-0 Bolts.

TBL's PP is LETHAL.... Let's not get on the PK again please especially with a silly penalty like that Nino!.

Gourde head hit on Staal. (Who was leaning forward thanks to getting tripped held by Callahan)

Match penalty we get a roughing to start the 5m at 4v4

Last edited:
Back