• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Habs 3/24 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Another 4 point game against the surging Habs.

The Habs have righted the ship, winning 3 in a row but still just 5-5 in their last 10. They trail the Canes by 2 for WC1 and can’t overtake the Canes with a win. In turn, they’re 3 points up on Columbus. They applied their own curb stomping last night, beating the Slugs 7-4, scoring 3 in the 3rd. Brendan Gallagher leads 11 players in double figures with 33 goals. Max Domi has 41 assists and 67 points. After a miserable season last year, Carey Price is back to some semblance of normal at 2.52/.916. As bad as the Canes PP is, Montreal’s is worse, DFL at 12.6%. They’re 16th on the PK at 80.5%

The Canes turned a close game into a laugher last night, scoring 3 in the 3rd to put away Minnesota and maybe exorcise some demons from blowing a lead against Tampa. Brett Pesce was +5 and moved into 4th in the league at +33. Aho and Teravainen each picked up their 50th assists, marking the first time since 2006-07 that the Canes have 2 players with at least 50. Teravainen also broke a 10 game goalless streak to cap off a 3 point night. If RBA keeps to the rotation, we’ll get Mac in goal but I’d go with Mrazek, playing back to backs for the first time this season.

Fox Sports Carolinas for TV.

The Habs are hot, but so are the Canes. Of the past few games, this one is the more important (for both teams), so I'm expecting a hard-fought game from two teams who each played last night. Let's hope the Canes put some distance between them with a huge win tonight.

Everybody involved threw out their A game the night before, so this one should be a wildcard of a contest. The kind of game where a hot goalie or a couple of bounces get you points. Both teams play much the same game, too ... mot much to separate anybody there. The two meetings thus far produced a split, but WILDLY different games ... a buttoned down 2-1 win for the Canes in November and a bananas 6-4 win for Montreal in December. That's ancient history though, now that we're in the stretch run. BIG game tonight.

It's time to put these Habs in their place.

The Canes are the better team, period, let’s just hope they take care of business tonight and put them out of their misery. Montreal is a cute little story this year but I’m going all Judge Wapner in here and proclaiming Habs Suck!!!

Habs score first, Turbo turnover.

"It's a game of mistakes..." Tripp Tracy, 2nd period.

Slavin with a huge save.

21 SOG first period... zero through 11 and a half in the second. Can't win if you don't score, and you always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Last edited:
Habs score first, Turbo turnover.

"It's a game of mistakes..." Tripp Tracy, 2nd period.

Slavin with a huge save.

21 SOG first period... zero through 11 and a half in the second. Can't win if you don't score, and you always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

One team looks desperate and hungry the other failed to even show up in the second period. I think I would be happy even with a point tonight...can’t afford to lose in regulation to this team in your own barn.

Listen to those boos at the power play units...

TVR scores. "The puck had eyes!"

One point secured. We're at 90, folks.

Last edited:
Svechnikov wins it!

First time at 91 points since 2011.

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band for the Storm Surge.

H O L Y C R A P ! ! !

I had to listen to the audio broadcast of the OT while on a plane...and resist standing up and screaming when Svech scored the game-winner!

Wish we had the game in regulation but am happy with the 2 points. now to go steal some in Washington on NBC. (Not going to preempt our (1) game this year are you.)

Grand theft guys. We had no business getting ANYTHING out of that game and took home 2.

That's what my group was saying, sitting there at the PNC tonight. The 2nd period absolutely sucked. If Montreal had played better they would have run away with this game. And the boo birds were definitely out during the last PP attempt. That almost NEVER happens, but it seems the fans know when a team that's been really good is playing really badly. That's probably a good thing - we don't want to see this team revert back to mediocrity.

But that TvR's tying goal changed everything. The crowd became energized and so did the team. And Svech just keeps getting better and more confident.

Staal has been a beast, he has looked so good playing with two great offensive players, he creates time and space for both wingers to do their thing.

Aho’s line has been matching against the opponents’ best line, leaving Staal a little less defenseive responsibility. He’s playing with elite wings for the first time in a long time and he missed 30+ games, so he has fresh legs. I really wasn’t looking forward to him coming back, considering how he played before he went out. But he’s been. A difference maker.

Aho is clearly playing in pain, he doesn’t have the explosiveness he had before he and Nino collided on Thursday.

Back